Close

Scratchbuilding Pistons for the Scratchbuilt Engine
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Scratchbuilding Pistons for the Scratchbuilt Engine Scratchbuilding Pistons for the Scratchbuilt Engine Scratchbuilding Pistons for the Scratchbuilt Engine Scratchbuilding Pistons for the Scratchbuilt Engine Scratchbuilding Pistons for the Scratchbuilt Engine
Accepted Payment Types

Builder Last Online: Sep 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-31-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

As promised, here's the tutorial for the pistons that go into the scratchbuilt Olds engine. Don't forget that you have to make 8 of these or possibly one or two more as accessories.

There are two ways to make the piston, one easier than the other. The first way is to make the piston and cut it down from a piece of solid rod. The other way which is easier and which we'll be doing here is to build the piston from tubing so you don't have to waste alot of time cutting the inside of your piston.

As always, we start with a blueprint. I found this one in a 1949 edition of Motor's auto repair books. The beauty of this is that the engine is also a 49 so it'll go great with the final result.

Make note of all the little details so you can add it to your work. Since my cylinders will be just short of half an inch, I start with 7/16 " outer diameter
      aluminum tubing.

I put this piece into my drill press or into a standard drill locked in a vise and spin it at a fairly high rate of speed. I use a cutting blade that I found at Lowe's which is made of a pretty hard steel and I mill in the ring areas and also mark the full length of the head which is just short of the outer diameter.

It will look something like this.

Although the areas look pretty ill defined, when you darken the cuts with a black Sharpie marker and clean your tubing up, the cuts actually look like this.

Next, I take a flat piece of thin aluminum and super glue or epoxy Scratchbuilding Pistons for the Scratchbuilt Engine it to the end of the tube to "seal the tube at one end. After the glue sets, trim the top piece with a small wire cutter.

Now rechuck the tubing into the drill press (or drill) and mill the "lid" with files or sandsticks until it is flush with the tube.

Next, you cut off the piece and trim it to the correct length you've already marked. Now you're ready to start cutting in the detail you see in your initial drawing with burs and discs and polish. The hole for the wrist pin is cut and some very narrow aluminum tube is pushed into the hole.

The piston rod is only a piece of scrap put there for effect. After we complete the cylinder bank, we'll make the final piston rod, cut and cement the wrist pin. After that, we'll go to the crankshaft. Remember that this tutorial is for a highly detailed engine. You do not need to go this far in order to make a really great engine for your deuces. I do it simply because I always make more work for myself than I need to, I'm not stable and i eat crayons.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Nice going Jeff....I'm a little concerned however....try to hold it under 5,000 RPM, I'm afraid that if you rev it any higher the plastic connecting rods might stretch a bit and allow the piston to "kiss" a valve.
    BTW the way...why would you cement the wrist pin?
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 07-31-07 at 04:11 PM.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Hey Jeff. Great work buddy! Don't forget to polish the beams on the connecting rods. It's a great stress reliever.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks guys. The reason I'm cementing in the wrist pin is that ----- You're right. If the piston is in the cylinder, the wrist pin won't fall out anyway. I must have been .

I'll be making the connecting rods out of styrene Scratchbuilding Pistons for the Scratchbuilt Engine , painting them bright aluminum on the beam part and a darker metalizer Scratchbuilding Pistons for the Scratchbuilt Engine in the recesses. When the oil pan is removed, you'll be able to see a lot of the detail.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Don't forget to drain the oil before removing the pan Jeff. Uhh....you are going to make the rotating assembly work aren't you?
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I thought about making the crank turn but with the way I'm making the internals, I think that would be too much for me to ask. I'm basically trying to make fine detail without using the expensive equipment. I don't want to take away anything from the great metal craftsmen we have on this site, but unfortunately most of our members don't have and can't afford the necessary equipment to make all those great detailed metal parts. They look at some of the stuff just like I did and get frustrated feeling that they'll never achieve such detail and their models will never be of high quality. I want to be able to show that even without the expensive tools, you still can whip up some nice detailed parts that will give your model that extra sparkle you want.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. unknownname's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    I'm basically trying to make fine detail without using the expensive equipment. I don't want to take away anything from the great metal craftsmen we have on this site, but unfortunately most of our members don't have and can't afford the necessary equipment to make all those great detailed metal parts.
    Metal work doesn't have to cost a lot, a saw, a file, the willingness to do it again, and lots of time. Especially if you just have a file, and a saw.

You don't even really need a welder if you can't afford one, super glue, and epoxy Scratchbuilding Pistons for the Scratchbuilt Engine work just fine for something that will, or should weigh less than 10 lbs.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You got it dead right , unknown. We think the same exact way.

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    HFC, those pistons are a jewell!!!
    More points for you because you're using only elementary tools, lots of imagination and a hidden talent for making things right...
    The art of creating things from nothing is what makes us modelers be just that, fanatic modelers!
    I still walk the streets with a low galance, looking for anything in the floor that come become a part of something...
    Congratulations for a job well done.
    Looking forward to see more of that engine...
    Regards
    Mario
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Pre-digital discarded wind up clocks, watchs and toys can be a good source for gears and small parts....found a perfect sized ring gear for the Hemi flywheel in an old alarm clock. There are parts hiding everywhere if you look for 'em.
    A company I do biz with changed out all their old 'puters and outdated printers a while back, so in true dumpster diving form I asked if I could purchase the old units.....they gave them to me just for hauling them away...

FREE parts bonanza!
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Dumpster diving can yield some great finds. The only thing is please try to stay away from the tuna fish.

Thanks so much Mario. Coming from a builder like yourself, that's a great compliment. As far as the talent for doing things right, that's a philosophy I developed while I was in dental school. It's not so much because I wanted to help mankind but it was a survival technique. I didn't want to get sued. To a medical provider, the "A" word (attorney) can make you feel kind of sick.

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    Haven' we done the tuna fish thing before?
    No Lathe, No Mill, No CNC
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Probably.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I think you might be right, Bob. O.k. then, you need to stay away from the crab salad.

QUOTE QUOTE #14