Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-17-05 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

#8 MODELING CLAY

I use it along with toothpicks to mount small parts for painting. Just use the clay the way it comes out of the package - with the plastic wrap still intact. Punch the toothpicks through the plastic and voila.

#7 DRAFTING COMPASS WITH NO PENCIL (2 POINTS)

I guess this could be cailpers but mine is a compass I modified. I use it to scribe out discs of various sizes from sheet styrene Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without . Also helps when laying out things like the holes in a drilled axle.

#6 1/4" SINGLE HOLE PAPER PUNCH

The handheld kind. Punches a perfect 1/4" disc from sheet plastic up to about .040. Also is the perfect size for punching Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without out gauge decals.

#5 Matel Vac-U-Form

I use it to make many different small parts or multiples of a single part.

#4 TITANIUM DRILL BIT SET, including 1-60

I guess everyone has drill bits but titanium makes a huge difference in strength. It is virtually impossible to break a bit.

#3 SURGICAL SCISSORS

Just small stainless steel surgical scissors. The nurse gave them to me after she took my wife's blood. They are ultra-strong and very accurate when cutting thin plastic (up to .030) or intricate decals.

#2 NIBBLER

Some of you guys know how I feel about my nibbler. For those of you that don't know what a nibbler is - it is a tool used in the electronics field for making interior cuts in circuit boards. You drill a hole and then nibble it into the shape you want.

For modelers, we use it to cut sheet plastic up to about .080. It makes a small, uniform square cut every time.

And now...

the number one obscure tool that I cannot live without...

#1 THE COMPUTER

Also includes digital camera and printer. Most people don't even consider it a tool. But never before have modelers of all ages had access to so much information. Research materials abound on the internet. Model kits & supplies are easier to obtain. Tips & techniques, like this forum are available almost in real time.

And the best is yet to come...
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Good stuff Steve, I don't know how I got along without my nibbler..I owe you for that one.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Jalopie Jim
    Jalopie Jim's Avatar Guest
    Very good tool tips, appreciated :D

Steve & Grandpa - Thanks especially for the "nibbler". Best tool investment I ever made!
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I can't get along without my Dremel Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without , a couple of dozen old dental instruments, my files and sanding Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without stuff, my ruler and my magnifiers. The magnifiers would qualify as #1 for me. Add that stuff to Steve's list and you've got my list of "can't do withouts".
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Add a cold beer (ONE) to all of the above.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'm too young for that. I gotta go with Root Beer. :p :p :p
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Sorry guys, I should have been more clear. I meant it to be the obscure tools (that you can't live without). The tools not normally found in your average modeler's toolbox.

Dremel Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without , Exacto, files, cold beer, etc. - all givens

Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without
    [I]I'm just a soul whose intentions are good . . .

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley Earl[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    HFC, contact me, read the email I left you. I have something you can't live without. Keith 88proof. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett
    Add a cold beer (ONE) to all of the above.
    You know what's better than Cold Beer? FREE COLD BEER, I grew up in Wisconsin, beer, cheese, beer, brats, beer, the Packers, beer, fireworks (illegal), more beer, and Polka, and still more beer. I don't drink beer but I like the St. Pauli Girl. Keith 88proof. :eek:
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I'm in on that.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I mentioned this to Don already but a fairly obscure tool is a detail contour power sander. The different shapped tips speed up the rough sanding Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without leaving just the details to be hand sanded. :D Daniel
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Does anyone other than me still use a hot Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without knife?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Nope, thats just for you old fogies :D :p :D Daniel
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    True, but I like smell of burning plastic.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I should have read the post better. You were clear about the word obscure. Hmmmm.
    It's probably my 8X magnifier for one. I don't think anyone has that yet.

Next, it would be my protractor for the blueprints. That is if I can get started on any. It's still in the box but will be invaluable when I need it. It's so much easier to measure angles you need to draw engines.

Then it would be my drill press.

I use small wood carving chisels to cut plastic that I turn in the Dremel Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without .

My extra small jewelers' files. They're smaller than regular needle files.

I guess that's it.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15