Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-17-05 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

#8 MODELING CLAY

I use it along with toothpicks to mount small parts for painting. Just use the clay the way it comes out of the package - with the plastic wrap still intact. Punch the toothpicks through the plastic and voila.

#7 DRAFTING COMPASS WITH NO PENCIL (2 POINTS)

I guess this could be cailpers but mine is a compass I modified. I use it to scribe out discs of various sizes from sheet styrene Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without . Also helps when laying out things like the holes in a drilled axle.

#6 1/4" SINGLE HOLE PAPER PUNCH

The handheld kind. Punches a perfect 1/4" disc from sheet plastic up to about .040. Also is the perfect size for punching Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without out gauge decals.

#5 Matel Vac-U-Form

I use it to make many different small parts or multiples of a single part.

#4 TITANIUM DRILL BIT SET, including 1-60

I guess everyone has drill bits but titanium makes a huge difference in strength. It is virtually impossible to break a bit.

#3 SURGICAL SCISSORS

Just small stainless steel surgical scissors. The nurse gave them to me after she took my wife's blood. They are ultra-strong and very accurate when cutting thin plastic (up to .030) or intricate decals.

#2 NIBBLER

Some of you guys know how I feel about my nibbler. For those of you that don't know what a nibbler is - it is a tool used in the electronics field for making interior cuts in circuit boards. You drill a hole and then nibble it into the shape you want.

For modelers, we use it to cut sheet plastic up to about .080. It makes a small, uniform square cut every time.

And now...

the number one obscure tool that I cannot live without...

#1 THE COMPUTER

Also includes digital camera and printer. Most people don't even consider it a tool. But never before have modelers of all ages had access to so much information. Research materials abound on the internet. Model kits & supplies are easier to obtain. Tips & techniques, like this forum are available almost in real time.

And the best is yet to come...

Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Jalopie Jim
    Jalopie Jim's Avatar Guest
    "Old fogies" ???? Did someone call me?? That's what my youngest daughter calls me for a nick-name, has for yrs. lol :D Guess I must be :D
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Jalopie Jim
    Steve :
    You mentioned titanium drill bits. Where is the best place online to get the useful sizes for our modeling needs??
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I like being an old fogie. That's very different from a fuddy duddy. An old fogie uses a hot Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without knife. A fuddy duddy can't find his. Now where did I put that thing??
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Jim, I got my drill set for $40 from Costco Wholesale. I see they have the same set at Overstock.com for $50 http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....cid=19491&fp=F

For you guys with $1 stores in your area - this is a real cool place to buy tools and supplies. And cheap...

Steve

[I]I'm just a soul whose intentions are good . . .

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley Earl[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Jalopie Jim
    Thanks, Steve :D
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Dental picks Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without and those tiny round files they use when you get a filling. Come on Jeff help me out here with the names.

Great for opening up small holes and super detail work.

Heres one I bet you didn't think of. Lego's. Thats right Lego's. They work great for all kinds of stuff. You can build a frame jig in a few minutes then use small clamps to hold everything in place. When nobody's looking you can even build cool little hot Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without rods. :D :D :D
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Been staying up too late, huh Dan. Reshape the tips of an electric tooth brush and attach sandpaper...mini power sander.:rolleyes: Heard that one somewhere.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Gluhead's Avatar Update Profile Please
    I make my own sanding Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without sticks. I'd be lost without them. I have several 1/8" thick oak off-cut strips from a woodworking project and when I need a good sturdy shape to dig into a tight spot I make one up. Once I have it shaped I CA whatever grit I need right onto the wood and trim the paper with the exacto. I've got a couple bigger ones that I keep around for general duty too.

I'm gonna have to try some of these...

Glu
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMotorcars
    Dental picks Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without and those tiny round files they use when you get a filling. Come on Jeff help me out here with the names.

Great for opening up small holes and super detail work.

Heres one I bet you didn't think of. Lego's. Thats right Lego's. They work great for all kinds of stuff. You can build a frame jig in a few minutes then use small clamps to hold everything in place. When nobody's looking you can even build cool little hot Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without rods. :D :D :D
    Explorers are the picks Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without and the little files are called--little files.:D We use them in root canal therapy to widen, clean and shape the canals. Make sure when you get them, they're fresh or completely sterilized. The best thing to do is to visit the dentist and ask for any broken instruments. If he's a nice guy, he can order you a bunch of stuff out of the catalogues including the endodontic files. Also ask for some old dental catalogues. You'll be surprised what you can find there. If the dentist is a modeler, get him to join.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluhead
    I make my own sanding Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without sticks. I'd be lost without them. I have several 1/8" thick oak off-cut strips from a woodworking project and when I need a good sturdy shape to dig into a tight spot I make one up. Once I have it shaped I CA whatever grit I need right onto the wood and trim the paper with the exacto. I've got a couple bigger ones that I keep around for general duty too.

I'm gonna have to try some of these...

Glu
    I do the same with wooden tongue depressers and ice cream sticks..:D Guido
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Ok, I think I mentioned a standard one-hole paper punch as one of my obscure tools.

You can make some pretty handy sanding Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without tools by punching Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without out sandpaper using the paper punch (makes a 1/4" circle).

Just glue the small circles of sandpaper to the eraser end of a pencil. The softness of the eraser gives a little when you apply pressure which makes it nice for detail sanding Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without in tight places.

When the sandpaper wears down just pop off the circle and glue another one down.

That's it!

[I]I'm just a soul whose intentions are good . . .

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley Earl[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Great tip, Steve. I was wondering how I was going to get into the tight places. Thanks.
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Just picked up my nibbler from Radio Shack. Thats one cool little tool but does anyone know if they make it with a smaller bite. This ones notches out about a 3/16" track. Sure would be cool to get one thats around 1/16" or has a round tip. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I'd like one with a deeper throat...I use a hand held hole punch for a rounded nibbler.:)
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Here's one for you guys that have a single speed dremel Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without tool. I have mine rigged up to a wall mounted rotory light switch that I have mounted to an electrical box. This way you dial the rpm's for the type of work your doing. It also works great for the Dremel Top 8 Obscure Tools I Can't Do Without drill press for when your drilling out the lugs from the backside of your kit wheels. Your going to need a slow rpm setting for this job. Works great for me. :) :) :). O--\\\\-------o
    QUOTE QUOTE #31