Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 09-26-05 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Thank You Daniel. :D
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Your welcome. By the way your emails down....
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    If you get a chance give the e-mail another shot...I just re-booted to see if that would help.
    Don

Scratch Building
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I had to rip half of my coupe top off and rebuild it. Apparently, the plastic I thought was styrene Scratch Building was some kind of acrylic Scratch Building blend. My glue joints kept on popping open with the slightest stress. It's now replaced with good ol' styrene Scratch Building but I took 2 steps forward and 5 backward. That's royally frustrating but I think the result should be passable. When I get it recountoured, get the valleys filled completely and get all the little bubble holes in the filler filled, it's time to show the pics. At least now I kow how to mix the filler without getting the air bubbles trapped in it.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I've run into that acrylic Scratch Building wanna' be stuff before. I should have warned you............my bad. I'm hoping Stevie will post some pics of his walnut dash for the Deuce, that's some first class stuff. He seems to be able to transform a Monogram kit into a Pocher.

Scratch Building
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh well, can't win 'em all. Yeah, I hope Stevie posts some more pics too. (hint,hint). I know he lurkds here but under an assumed name. Where you at, Steve?
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Stevie....we need you to complete the gang! :)

Scratch Building
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Well, I try to be a doer and not a talker in spite of working 5 12 hour shifts, we work with a Sheltie rescue and have at least 5 dogs at all times living with us, a 3 year old grand daughter, and lots of collecting Nancy and I like to do. The teardrop trailer is made out of 1/16 thick sheet metal. I wire welded it and it does have a removable bottom. I'm going to make it a rear hatch opening job like I seen at a swap meet for sale. There will be windows on each side and lots of detail. Two weeks ago I had all the pictures and descriptions taken of all my 1/8th cars and engines to go on Ebay. Daniel changed by mind simply by looking up this site. Now I have a dry lakes 32, my coffin, and the teardrop in the works. I like to work with metal, I like plastic too, the important thing is you can say "I did that". If you want any pictures my Email is keiscv@aol.com and I can get them to you. Thanks Keith Scoviak.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Keith, I have a question for you. I don't know what wire welding is. Could you please provide some explanation of how it's done and possibly tell me how large and how expensive a setup it is. I also work with many types of materials and the more techniques at my disposal, the more things I'll be able to do. I like the attitude of "I did that" . That's one reason I want to get into scratchbuilding and become free of the kit. I want to bring it all down to raw materials 'cause I'm a raw kind of guy. I like my root beer raw out of the bottle and my Raisinettes right out of the bag, raw, uncooked. I even get to stay up some nights until 10 PM. Whoa. Born to be Wild ( hot Scratch Building ford coupe jumps from his hobby chair and dances through the living room singing Simple Simon from the 1910 Fruit Gum Company. His wife looks on in disbelief.)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel

Heres the trailer shots Kieth sent me. I like this shape alot better then this 1/8 scale camper from another site.. Very Cool!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: Daniel
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Wire welding is using a motor fed spool of copper coated steel wire about 1/32 inch in diameter. It feeds thru the hand held line going to a trigger and stinger that the wire comes out of. You have to have a tank of 75% Argon and 25% CO2 gas that flows with the wire when the trigger is squeezed. There is a ground wire that clamps onto your metal work bench or part you're welding. The welder has controls for wire speed and current. The thinner Scratch Building the metal the less current and less wire feed. The gas acts like a flux allowing the wire to fuse the two metals together. You can weld metal that's steel as thin as a pop can to something 1 foot thick. You can buy wire rolls for stainless, and tool steels too. The beauty of this is it's a very clean weld, no slag to chip off, and warps metal less. If you look at both the Casket and Teardrop trailer I made they have no paint or fillers Scratch Building on them. The only thing I did so far was vapor blast the trailer with media grit. Keith Scoviak. :) The set ups run from about $900.00 to over 2 grand without a tank full of gas you have to pay a deposit on and the roll of wire, a helmet and leather gloves. Not to mention extra tips, various clamps and a fire extinguisher. These run on 220 or 440 single phase electric. Or you can buy a good used set up or go to an auction. Or get everything ready to be welded 100% and have a body shop or welding place weld it for about 10 to 20 bucks.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Keith for the info. Looks like I'll stick with soldering and body filler. I might wind up blowing up my new house with that kind of setup. Hey, if I can find a good metal casting Scratch Building setup, you could do the body welding and I'll do the fixture casting Scratch Building . We'll have a CBP with only one giant model. It could be the company mascot. :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I'm open to anything, I think outside the box, that's how Hot Scratch Building Rodding got started. Keith Scoviak. :cool:
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Is that how it got started? All this time I thought I started it when I put a lawnmower engine on my tricycle! :cool:

Scratch Building
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I tried that once on my tricycle. I didn't get much power out of it so I rewired it. Put a Chevy 350 small block in it with a blower and competition cams. Ported the engine and glommed the lobster shift along with the suspender yangs. Started it up but forgot to hail the clutch. That's why I walk this way for 50 years. :confused: :confused: :confused:
    QUOTE QUOTE #15