Close

Builder Last Online: Dec 2010 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-08-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi, I am interested in building a 1/16 scale funny car for my best friend for his birthday next year. We raced this car together in the early 80's. I have built models on and off all my life. I am mechanically inclined and have a great machine shop at my work.
      I have seen these new resin Scratch building a body bodies that people are selling on EBay and got this idea for this project. There are no bodies to be found of a 1980 Chevy Citation funny car. I bought two models of the car in 1/25 scale and was going to make a body out of that. Then I would have something to work with. I have lots of pictures of the car in my collection so i have that part covered.
      I have also bought a 1/16 Revell Scratch building a body model for the chassis parts. I am thinking of making a Resin Scratch building a body body and have read a lot of things in here about resin Scratch building a body bodies. Or I could do it in fiber glass. My questions are this.
      1 Should I make a body out of clay or foam to cast? What is the best way to go?
      2 Could I take a existing resin Scratch building a body body and cut it up to make a new one out of?
      3 If I had a 1/25 scale one could a Rapid prototype be made of it?
      4 Has anyone in here done something like this? Are there some threads that I could read. I have searched but could not find any thing that matched.
      Thanks for the help and the ideas.
      Bob
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Hi Bob

Have you considered building this project in 8th scale? You'll find a lot more readily accessable aftermarket parts and accessories, in particular the 392 and 426 Hemi, if you up to 8th scale.

Also, have a look at the radio control car venues. They are producing some pretty good plastic bodies these days. They are not necessarily "correct" but some in our crowd use them as a guide when carving bucks or making molds.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Please check your "private mail" Bob.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. ewaskew's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Earl
    As for scratch building there's many way's to do it.
    I met a man at a show and we became real good friends.
    He died a while back and I miss him very much.

He built straight from scratch and scrap material starting with a set of tire's from a diecast.

And an idea of what he wanted to build.

The first thing he told me was look at the shape of what you want and build it from
    raw material such as plastic sheet's,and off the wall material.
    He built an aluminum dash from the seal on a can of peanut's.
    Fenders from plastic easter egg's. and many more part's from everyday item's.

He taught me a lot and got me started scratch building.
    Not saying he was the best but he was one of them for sure.
    Here are a few of his %99 scratch builds the tire's make up the other %1
    Earl

QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. kmeaders@q.com's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ken
    I was going to say try styrene Scratch building a body sheets but Ewaskew just blew me away with those models that his friend and mentor did. Wow. Ken
    Old Sprinter
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Blown away? Now that's a good definition of what I am right now. I especially like the second picture and the seat on hat motorcycle. You could ride all day without a stop.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. ewaskew's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Earl
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Blown away? Now that's a good definition of what I am right now. I especially like the second picture and the seat on hat motorcycle. You could ride all day without a stop.
    LOL I did'nt get a photo of it but for kick's and details he built it with those detail's in the bowl.
    Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #7