Close

Builder Last Online: Feb 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-03-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hey all,
      Anyone here ever done photo etching? Any tips? I am leaning on using the iron on type of resist since I can run that through my printer. Here is what I am trying to do. I'm scratchbuilding a radiator for a 1/8 scale semi truck that I am building (pics coming one of these days). I got the tanks and the side rails done. I am working on the tubes and fins that fill the rest of the radiator with detail. I was going to use .015 x 1/4" flat brass for the "tubes" and then photo etch .005 brass for the fins. I need small slots for each of the "tubes" (actually flat brass) to go through. This is really hard to explain. I tried punching Photo etching and scratchbuilding a radiator the slots, but that really distorts the thin brass.

Here is a very rough drawing of what I want to do:

The actual size would be around 3/8" x 4-1/2" and is .005 thick brass. Each of the "|" is a slot for a piece of .015 brass to pass through and would be centered in the 3/8" wide material. This would give 1/16" of overhang for the fin detail. I would end up with probably a hundred or more of these to make. So...keep in mind that I need more than one or two. This would give me a realistic looking radiator.

Any ideas?

Mike
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. An idea (one that may or may not work): Run a strip of very thin brass between a pair of 64-pitch gears (available at your LHS Photo etching and scratchbuilding a radiator in the RC section) to create a zig-zag strip, and solder the zig-zags between your "tubes".

Might look like crap, though. But it's all I can think of.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Mike, if I had to make that many parts..all the same, I think I'd consider making or having a die made.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post
    An idea (one that may or may not work): Run a strip of very thin brass between a pair of 64-pitch gears (available at your LHS Photo etching and scratchbuilding a radiator in the RC section) to create a zig-zag strip, and solder the zig-zags between your "tubes".

Might look like crap, though. But it's all I can think of.
    Thought of that already, but the real radiator doesn't have the normal zig-zag like I am familiar with too. These fins are straight and I would like to capture that detail. I know...it seems petty, but that is the kind of attention to detail that I like to do. :)
    Thanks
    Mike

Photo etching and scratchbuilding a radiator
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Mike, if I had to make that many parts..all the same, I think I'd consider making or having a die made.
    Thought of this too and this is the answer that I really want to do. I tried to sharpen a lathe bit down to the size I needed. It went through the .005 brass really easy, but as I went down the strip, it really distorted. Maybe I need to "sandwich" the brass between two plates or something?

I'll have to think about this some more. I like the die idea the best, but not sure how to pull it off. The photo etching, I think, might be really time consuming.

Thanks
    Mike

My website:

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    I'm liking this die idea better all the time. I wonder if something like this arbor press would be a good start?

Amazon.com: Grizzly G4018 Arbor Press - 1 Ton: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BPeHJUEVL.@@AMEPARAM@@41%2BPeHJUEVL

In fact, I'm thinking I have one of these out at the shop that we rarely use. And we have a guy out there that is really good at fabricating stuff. I'll bounce some ideas off of him.

Mike

My website:

QUOTE QUOTE #6