Close

Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-01-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here are some pictures I took of the final version of the fully padded and vinyl upholstered bucket seat. It's not fully finished because that has to be done when the seats are installed into the interior. That's when all the loose vinyl will be tucked in and the seat adjustment mechanism put in. The V8 in the seat back is the one that usually goes on the headlight bar. Look for the tutorial in my box stock Scratchbuilt Bucket Seats section. It will be up very soon.

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    Wow what an eye for detail you have. Can't wait to see how you made them
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Nice work Jeff. Love the V-8 detail.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks guys. It'll look a lot better installed in the interior of the deuce where all of the defects will be hidden. Once the seats are done, then I'll start working the Carson top.

Scratchbuilt Bucket Seats
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Looking good, Jeff.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    .... I ran out of thumbs. DOH! Great work Jeff.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks again. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the green pointy pieces I put there. They're superglued on so I'd have to rip the seat up to get the pieces off. I'll correct that on the next model.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Johnw's Avatar Active Member
    Excellent job! What did you use for the buttons on that sucker? You've inspired me to do something similar to the seats in my deuce, hopefully I can get motivated enough to start on the thing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey John. The buttons are really simpler than they look. I'll go over the technique in a bit more detail in the new tutorial but here's the boiled down version. The green seat cushion is a piece of sheet plastic with a piece of stiff foam cemented to it and then covered in green vinyl. I took a piece of .025 styrene Scratchbuilt Bucket Seats rod, heated the bowl of a small spoon and then pushed the rod gently agains the hot Scratchbuilt Bucket Seats metal until I had a nice round "nailhead" about the right size. I then took some of my scrap green vinyl, glued it to the nailhead and trimmed it round. The whole piece looks like a little white engine valve stem about 7 mm long. I then took a pin vise Scratchbuilt Bucket Seats with a drill just a slight bit larger than the styrene Scratchbuilt Bucket Seats rod diameter and drilled a hole from the vinyl all the way through the plastic. I put a little bit of CA under the nailhead to prevent it from popping through the vinyl cover. Now I pushed the nailhead down into the foam compressing it with my thumb, creating the tuft. While holding the button down, I took a hot Scratchbuilt Bucket Seats instrument and I flattened the little piece of rod sticking out of the hole I just drilled. It's sort of like creating a rivet. When the plastic cooled, I let go and the button stayed down into the cushion. I did that until the whole seat cushion was tufted. I'll be putting some diagrams into the tutorial so you'll be able to see how it's done very clearly. It's really not that difficult, just a bit time consuming.

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Damn Jeff thats a wicked effort there well done mate and I can't wait for the tutorial on how you made them !!

Sean
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Sean for the great compliment. That design took me over 7 months to perfect. I have a bunch of torn up vinyl to prove it. It just goes to show you that perseverence is a key factor in this business.

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Oh - I gotta see the tutorial even if I can't do the detail.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Now that's TOO COOL!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh no Syd. This one anyone can do. I've got to take a few more pictures for the tutorial to clear a few things up. The technique is really a lot simpler than you think. It's just really time consuming, that's all.

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    I'm looking forward to the tutorial too. I need to scratchbuild a couple of seats for the semi truck that I am building.
    These look really good.
    Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15