Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-01-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Has anyone here built a model with torsionbar suspension? If so, some info would be appreicated.

Rick
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It sure would be appreciated. I don't even know what a torsion bar suspension is.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    There you go gettin' into my Deuce celebration build...was supposed to be a surpise.......easy to build, functional is a little more difficult...invovles metal parts....plastic just won't get it...trust me, I tried. Too wimpy even with stacked leaves running side to side or solid plastic tubes coming from the crossmember forward. Think I got handle on it but brass is too soft so I'm messing with the steel strips that come in 1:1 Torsionbar Suspension wiper blades, musta been another of those brain farts that seem to chase me around...or maybe it was the crayons?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    By the way the steel strips make butt kickin' leaf springs if you have the patience to fool with 'em...be warned, not easy stuff to work with.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Nah.......post it here Garey. Shareing this stuff is what its all about at SMC. "The Donald" will just have to change his tune and go back to a buggy spring. LOL!!

Rick

Torsionbar Suspension
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Garey....don't worry about steppin' on my toes...the only reason I even considered torsion bars is because it's something different in large scale modeling.... Dodge had torsion bars way back and some of the "new" cars & trucks today use them, early VWs and a number of others as well. I had a Renault "Le car" that actually had one rear wheel about 4" farther back than the other so that the torsion bars could be mounted one in front of the other.....weird but true. It was a blast to drive until I rolled it a couple times and lost interest. Post away, I think it's great to have another greaser on site. For you members that have no idea what the heck we are talking about Garey is not only a master model craftsman he is a hands on 1:1 Torsionbar Suspension mechanic as well. He knows what he is talking about and we are fortunate to have him as a member of scalemotorcars. (A torsion bar takes the place and function of a spring)

Now that we've covered torsion bars a bit.....maybe quarter eliptical springs and friction shocks?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    This ain't much, but I'm certified in engine rebuilding, Tuning and brakes.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I tried learning how to tune an engine but they still kept on playing a bit flat.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    That was funny Jeff. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    Speaking of quarter eliptics...here's my Model T modified with a suicide front suspension.
    No Lathe, No Mill, No CNC
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    I tried to tun a fish once with the same result.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    No shocks, no brakes...they don't call it suicide for nuthin'.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Quote Originally Posted by gareyb1
    Thanks Don, true, I do turn wrenches for a living... Seen lots of stuff. Speaking of eliptical springs, for all of you that don't know my part of the state of PA, Posie's Shop is about 12 minutes from my shop in Hummelstown. Posie, as some of you may know, especially Andym, is famous for his eliptical and semi-eliptical spring suspensions on his rods. Just a little trivia, which leads me to a thought... Since some builders may have a good "eye" for things that "look right", but may not fully understand how or why it "looks right", maybe I'll work up a quickie post and drawings/pics of most of the popular suspensions produced. Not just what's used in Rods, but a general listing for most suspension types, with either a picture or drawing and a brief description of the geometry and physics of how it works and what makes it good or bad for a type of install. It may be informative... of course maybe I am preaching to the choir, too.... What does eveyone think???
    That would help most of us that just live with our plastic covered cars and don't know how anything behind that plastic works.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cline
    I tried to tun a fish once with the same result.
    You have to turn the fins about a quarter of a turn forward and then push them in or it won't hold its tune. You need a different kind of fish with a built in tuner i.e. a tuner fish. :> :> :> """" Dh :confused:
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Garey, what about the graphics?
    QUOTE QUOTE #15