Close

Builder Last Online: Dec 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-30-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi All,
      I've been lurking around here for what seems like a year. I just finished up my first 1/8 scale model and thought I would post it here to see what you all thought. It is a M416 1/4 ton cargo trailer. We have one at the shop that I work at and it looked like a good project to start with. I know it isn't a car or a truck, but it is 1/8 scale and it is scratchbuilt. It is pretty much all brass and copper with a couple of urethane Scratchbuilt Military Trailer (brass) rubber compound tires that I made. My website has a lot more pictures of the build process. Click on the lathe and just browse around.

My inspiration was Gerald Wingrove. I got both of his books and read them from cover to cover to pick up tips on how to do this. The trailer was my first attempt at working with scratchbuilding with metal. I started with the wheels because I figured those would be the hardest. I thought if I could make them, I could probably build the rest of the trailer. The wheels were actually the second hardest part to make. The hardest was the hitch area. The one that I finally used was the seventh incarnation of it. It took me two months of steady weekend working to figure out a process to get a good one.

I have one of those mini-mill and mini-lathes in the workshop. That helped immensely in building this.

The model is far from perfect. I wish the box had come out a little straighter, but after sandblasting it, it warped a little. I was concerned of stretching the metal, so I left most of the waves in it. I also want to work on not being quite so sloppy with the solder. I worked for *hours* in cleaning this up.

edit: I forgot to add...I counted around 380 parts in this. A good portion of those were made by me. That is also counting a lot of 00-90 Scratchbuilt Military Trailer (brass) and 0-80 Scratchbuilt Military Trailer (brass) bolts, washers, and nuts.

I am starting on my next two models. One is a M105A3 trailer (pic on my website) and the other is a M915A1 over the road tractor. Both are military equipment.

Anyway....let me know what you think.

Mike
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Hi Mike.......Welcome to our site. You've done a great job on your trailer and I really like the rough bed, it makes it look realistic, like its been used a bit. Couple of suggestions for you......have you thought about building a car trailer? That would be cool with either a "barn find" on it or a "trailer queen" on the way to a show. Also, looks like you're well equipped for building a scratchbuilt, or kit modified car. Have you given that any thought?

Keep us informed.

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the great words. I really want to get going on another model now.

Rick,
    The *used* look is a comment that I heard from my co-workers too. It does give it sort of a unique look. The dents do not look out of place by any means.

And, actually, yes, I am thinking of expanding my building possibilities. I'm currently doing some preliminary building on the M915A1 frame. Our shop is rebuilding 15 of them and they are tearing them right down to the frame. This is an excellent opportunity for getting pictures and measurements. I am going to build the frame for this truck and then probably switch over to the M105A3 trailer.

I haven't given much thought to building a car trailer yet. That doesn't really fit in with any of my themes right now. But here is a short list of what I eventually want to build. I own a 1985 Jeep CJ7, I'd like to build a 1/8 scale model of that in brass and copper. When I get bored with the truck and trailer, I'll start building a hammer form out of oak for the hood for the Jeep. My eventual goal is to build one of those 8 wheel HEMMTT Army trucks. It would be HUGE. The M915A1 will be around 33" long when I am done. The HEMMTT will probably be close to double that.

But, what I would *really* like to build is a scratchbuilt 1/8 scale 1955 Chevy Nomad wagon. But there are way too many curves on that for my current experience level. I have no idea how to start that project. Although a mini english wheel is in the plans.
    Hmmmmmm.... :)

I'll post pics of the frame that I am working on after I get something done on it worth seeing.

Thanks for the replies!
    Mike

Scratchbuilt Military Trailer (brass)
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Very impressive Mike, glad to have you on the site. I'm sure a number of the guys will have questions for you as metal work is a topic that has a lot of interest here. Most of the guys are familiar with Gerald Wingrove's work and eager to learn more.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Hi Don,
    I've seen all the recent discussions on Wingrove's work. Those discussions and getting my trailer done finally gave me a reason to register and start posting on the site.

I'm hoping to have something far enough done on the frame to post some pics next week.

Take a look at my website. I have a lot more pictures of the build on there, although I don't have it updated with the finished product yet.

I am more than happy to answer any questions that may pop up.

Mike

Scratchbuilt Military Trailer (brass)
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That stuff is great Mike. Welcome to the site. I know you're going to have a blast here. l:
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6