Close

1. Chimes's Avatar Member
    Name
    Ian
    Hi,

I came across an interesting old model that I intend on restoring, but have been looking to try and find more information to no success. Itís approximately 60cm long and 18 cm wide.

It has what looks like an electric motor made by Microdyne, with Dunlop tyres. The battery is KAW, I believe a German manufacture. Itís quite intricate with wiring to lights, moving steering, gear shift, and cut out engine to see the moments etc.

I was hoping for any insights to either narrow down the search or if someone know more specifics about this would be amazing! Thank for all and any help!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown model - Can you help-41c06a86-a174-4c9f-b8d7-832f29964dab-jpg  Unknown model - Can you help-34afb4a4-e803-494b-9cc1-02ca7546c3d9-jpg  Unknown model - Can you help-93354859-c8d0-4df7-b175-83468a6d5dad-jpg  Unknown model - Can you help-3daac979-eafa-47bb-be78-b5f07572ee06-jpg  Unknown model - Can you help-1832d0d4-97dc-4c2e-9488-a74c309d767e-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Fascinating find! I am guessing it might be some sort of truck such as a delivery van of some kind with how tall the engine sits and how relatively small the wheels and tires are. It almost looks like someone's scratch build Unknown model - Can you help , but with its aged condition it might have been a hand assembled, but manufactured item. I am no antiques expert. This seems too sophisticated to have been a toy and I do not know the history of model vehicle building or manufacturing. Wish I could be more help.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Schuco of Germany, or Fulgurex from Switzerland? -probably not American.

Both Schuco and Fulgurex have long histories, making very fine toys.

Pass a magnet over it, is it pressed Steel?

Left-hand drive?
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Disc wheels are interesting.

What does the instrument panel look like?

Headlights are a strange design.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Chimes's Avatar Member
    Name
    Ian
    Thanks for the help so far.

Yes, it is magnetic, and the steering is on the left. I have updated some more pictures.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Chimes's Avatar Member
    Name
    Ian
    Thanks for the help so far.

Yes, it is magnetic, and the steering is on the left. I have updated some more pictures.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello, are any screws removable? (don't force them ,of course, but still in usable condition?) My thinking here would be to check the threads? If they are metric? It was not made in the USA. Though being left-hand drive suggests an American market. Being built for export, or, it could be a model of an American subject?
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    The toggle switch suggests post war, WWII, so 50's, 60's or even 70's? Being stamped metal, that was disappearing in the 60's and pretty much gone in the 70's.

The "fuel tank", the box with the switch on it, is probably the actual battery box. Can that be opened? It might reveal much.

After the second world war, Japan was working very hard to rebuild, but raw materials were very limited. A repurposing of items like tin cans into flattened sheet and then used to make toys, stamped metal toys, was done with the evidence hidden on the inside surfaces of the toy. Original brand names and artwork were left in situ, these are very collectible! -you probable do not have such an item, as they tended to be small wind-up toys. But?
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    Schuco of Germany, or Fulgurex from Switzerland? -probably not American.

Both Schuco and Fulgurex have long histories, making very fine toys.

Pass a magnet over it, is it pressed Steel?

Left-hand drive?
    Funny you should mention Schuco. I had a Tyrell Formula 1 wind up model (circa 1976) with working suspension and a working differential and the cut of the gears looked very similar to this - they appeared to be pot metal - silver gray and seeing the gears reminds me of that car. They worked fine as did the suspension, but it was not the precision of a comparable Tamiya Unknown model - Can you help product of the same period. Granted this is quite a bit older but the gears still remind me of that car.

Some pics of the car from an eBay post give you an idea there was a fair amount of detail, but when you look closely at the suspension you see it is not precision formed pieces, but rather wire with flattened ends, pressed rivets in places and a stamped tub for the mounting of all the suspension. Wish I still had it.

Unknown model - Can you help-schuco-tyrell-ford-f1-jpg

Unknown model - Can you help-schuco-tyrell-ford-f1-bottom-jpg

Here's a late 60's Ferrari with the gears exposed to show what I mean.
    Unknown model - Can you help-schuco-rear-dif-jpg
    Last edited by JunkGTZ; 08-21-21 at 02:55 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Chimes's Avatar Member
    Name
    Ian
    Can load any more pictures for some reason. Seems to be an issue with the site.

Underneath the rear battery is what in believe is an electric motor. I was hoping to find more information on that, but that seemed to be a dead end as well. Le “microdyne” seems to not exist.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    However it does point to France? -but tyres would have been Michelin? Dunlop = England, Goodyear or Firestone = America.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimes View Post
    Can load any more pictures for some reason. Seems to be an issue with the site.

Underneath the rear battery is what in believe is an electric motor. I was hoping to find more information on that, but that seemed to be a dead end as well. Le “microdyne” seems to not exist.
    You'll have to make sure the file sizes are smaller. Reducing them to 800X600 Pixels drops the file size to allow for better uploads.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    However it does point to France? -but tyres would have been Michelin? Dunlop = England, Goodyear or Firestone = America.
    The plate on the what I suppose an electrical engine is written in French. Could be also from Belgium...
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The plate on the what I suppose an electrical engine is written in French. Could be also from Belgium...
    QUOTE QUOTE #14