Close

Thread: Question

1. Lennart's Avatar Member
    Name
    Lennart
    Hey all
    Now, after my retirement 11 years ago, I found a new hobby and after some searching the internet I found this excellent site. So I'm a 76 year old guy who found a new hobby.
    It started two years ago with a Pocher Alfa Romeo, it took about ten months to build. Then I found a Rolls-Royce Phantom II and started building it about a year ago. I have carefully studied all the skilled modelers and especially Rolls-Royce and have used several fantastic ideas that I have found.
    BUT NOW BEGIN THE PROBLEM, I got what I thought was cold.
    But after two months, I realized that the cause was a silver color with which I painted the engine and screens. Thought it was an allergy and went to a doctor who said it was not an allergy but he thought it was a combination of the drugs I eat to balance an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD).
    He thought that there was a coordination between the drugs Metoprolol Sandox or maybe thrombyl and some substance in the silver color.
    Now to the question: is there anyone on the forum who has the same problem as me? Dripping nose and if I work longer, several days in a row, it will also cough. After a period of 2-3 days, all symptoms disappear. I have tested several times.
    Really hope to find someone who has a clue what I can do.
    Hope to be able to come back with some pictures on my reels.
    Lennart, Sverige
    Last edited by Lennart; 02-11-20 at 04:59 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Hi Lennart and welcome to the site, it sound like you have some health problem, I do not have a cure Question for you but I do have loots of info on the RR, look in gallery,
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Probably no help but I remember some brands of silver smelled different from other colors of the same brand. This was decades ago.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Wearing a mask like the ones used to paint a real car?
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Lennart's Avatar Member
    Name
    Lennart
    Have tried with different masks and also with rubber gloves.
    Have also washed me extremely carefully and under the nails with brush.
    But it does not help.
    I realize that a small amount is transferred when, for example, I take off my gloves.
    Have also tried different makes on silver color.
    As far as I can understand, the transfer must come via the air or through the touch of the object.
    Through the air a year after the painting sounds unimaginable.
    I have also tested clear paint over the silver color, not even that helps.
    It is almost inconceivable, seems very delicate.
    All of them make my situation interesting, I have always been a problem solver, but now it seems very difficult, that is why I try to share the problem.
    forgot
    Have also tested hand disinfection that doctors use.
    Last edited by Lennart; 02-12-20 at 10:36 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Lennart's Avatar Member
    Name
    Lennart
    It's pretty amazing, I've found the cause of my "allergy" for 1.5 years, thanks to the Corona virus debate.
    If I wash my hands very carefully for about 2 minutes with regular soap and then brush my fingers and nails with a brush, I will be almost completely freed from the trouble the following day.
    This assumes that I NEVER touch the face while working with the silver model.
    Read somewhere that you pee in the face about 20 times every hour. Which in the case of a personal control may very well be true.
    Now I can continue to work with my Rolls Royce with good conscience.
    Therefore, I thank Corona for the assistance.
    (Just hope I don't get infected)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Lennart, Do you remember the old movie, THE WIZARD of OZ? The movie had many set-backs while filming, one was that an actor, Buddy Ebsen who was cast to play the Tin-Man, developed a severe allergic reaction to the aluminum make-up he wore. It was so bad that he had to be hospitalized for a month. He of course did recover, and actually outlived the rest of the cast.

I know that some people are allergic to Nickle, and in foundry work, Zinc can affect those who pour the molten metal, even if they are pouring Brass, (Copper/Zinc)

No matter what the paint company calls a colour, Silver, Aluminum, Chrome, even Steel, the pigment Question is Aluminum. Different particle size, and additional pigments, but for color and cost, -it's Aluminum.

Once the paint is dry? is there still a problem? Avoid the painting and find someone to do that part for you?

Remember, your the only Lennart we have!

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. Lennart's Avatar Member
    Name
    Lennart
    Hi Don
    Thank you for your post.
    Well, I remember WIZARD of OZ, it was probably at least 60 years ago.
    The strange thing is that even though the color has dried over 1 year, the effect remains the same.
    But as I said, now "I can decide if I should feel bad the next day".
    I have tested at least 25 times and it always gets as expected.
    The problem now is that the hands get very dry, but there are solutions for that as well.
    Back to Rolls Royce construction .........
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Have you tried a clear barrier coating? Simple automotive wax? -or, a favorite here in the U.S. is to use one of the Acrylic Question floor polishes? FUTURE FLOOR POLISH, was a brand that was first used for this effect. Something new to test. -Modern auto paints are water-based and so they have an acrylic Question binder, that might help? No volatile solvents.

Please don't risk your health for a model. Perhaps a different colour scheme?
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Lennart's Avatar Member
    Name
    Lennart
    Hi Don
    Yes, I have tried with clear varnish, but it made no difference.
    The water-based colors do not give the same chrome look.
    It's a Rolls Royce ......
    QUOTE QUOTE #10