Close

1/8 Jaguar XK  120 wire wheels
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 200.00 USD (39%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

1/8 Jaguar XK  120 wire wheels 1/8 Jaguar XK  120 wire wheels 1/8 Jaguar XK  120 wire wheels 1/8 Jaguar XK  120 wire wheels 1/8 Jaguar XK  120 wire wheels
Accepted Payment Types

1. Solyrus's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rajen
    Hi Everyone,
    I recently acquired a very rare RAE resin 1/8 Jaguar XK  120 wire wheels kit of the Jaguar XK120 in 1/8 scale. Almost had to re-mortgage the house to get it, and even at that price its strictly a kerbside model. But I love the car so am happy to have found one. Just waiting now for the PO to get it past customs...

The company is no longer in production, a great pity as they had promised to make a E-Type Jaguar as well in 1/8. In any event, this XK120 kit came with either hand laced wire wheels - catgut which eventually sagged - or disk wheels ( which I have). While the car looks great with solid wheels, I really would like proper wire wheels. I have been looking for these since I bought the kit but to no avail. And when I did find wheels they were in 1/12 or 1/18 and cost a small fortune. Anyone have any suggestions about how I should proceed? All reasonable suggestions favourably considered .

Thanks
    Rajen
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Rajen, welcome to SMC.

I would love to see your build progress when you get the kit. As for the wheels theres several threads here on SMC to show you know. Or you could try contacting fellow member woodythx138 He can make some for you but they will set you back a few $$$. He does an amazing job so IMHO its worth it.

This I think is a photo of the RAE wire wheels.

1/8 Jaguar XK  120 wire wheels-arae10-jpg
    Last edited by ScaleMotorcars; 05-02-16 at 04:12 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Solyrus's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rajen
    Thanks for the info, and especially the pic.

I have reviewed some of the SMC resources and think I might even attempt to build the wheels myself. I have a 1/8 Jaguar E-type kit on hand and could use those wheels as the basis.

I must say it does look pretty daunting though...
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Im not going to say its easy but if you take it step by step its not that bad.

QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Solyrus's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rajen
    Daniel,
    The video is great, once you have the components. Dont know if my eyes will like me afterwards...

The jig to hold the centre hub and rim in place is very interesting, especially as you can lift the entire thing and rotate as well. I had only considered one fixed to the table . This one allows better access to the entire wheel.

I am waiting for the kit to arrive so I can check out the current wheels to see if they can serve as the base for the wire wheels. Then I can assess options...
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. CARGAZM's Avatar Member
    Name
    MarkO
    hi Ragen
    I was doing some online research on my most recent acquisition... The most incredible 1/8 scale JAG XK120 OTS i had ever seen. I was walking past one of those "we Buy Gold" shops, not far from my town... and there it was...practically in the front window! Now... I am no stranger to these kinds of things.... and I KNEW that something that I had never come across ,in all of my years of being a car nut... Of going to a zillion car shows.. and swap meets.... reading every periodical... I had NEVER SEEN A 1/8 XK120 anything like it! I waited for the store to open... sat in my car... and had to restrain myself from rushing in after the owner arrived screaming ' I'LL TAKE IT.. WHATEVER YOU WANT FOR IT... ITS MINE!!!! But I waited at least 10 minutes.... then strolled in, very nonchalant.
    Glanced around for a good 30 seconds (trying NOT to focus on the JAG) and said to the owner...Whats with the "MODEL"? He replied " I really don't know MUCH ABOUT IT" BUT IF YOU WANT TO MAKE AN OFFER... I CAN CALL THE OWNER. Well, as it turned out, the owner knew less about it than the 'we buy GOLD" guy.... his rich UNCLE left it to him. I offered him a reasonably low-ball number .. and he countered with asking for $100. more. One more galnce at the shank and i replied "DONE"! Did I mention that the XK120 in all 3 iterations (OTS/FHC/DHC ) is my all-time most wanted collector car!
    I brought it home and instead of adding this to my MAN CAVE....a basement with a 1950's knotty pine bar... with every square inch covered with automobilia... models/ mascots/ license plates / posters etc. This needed to be UPSTAIRS! I PARKED IT IN THE DEN....
    CONVINCED MY WIFE THAT THIS IS ....ART !
    I EVEN HAVE CAUGHT HER LOOKING AT IT FROM TIME TO TIME!
    So this xk120 is a Left hand drive , with WIRE WHEELS (no spats) in a beautiful silver, with a red interior. the proportions are spot on. the hardware and details incredible!
    My other interesting model, also a JAG, is a 1:1 1/8 Jaguar XK  120 wire wheels scale (yes, you read that right) SS-100. This is a Coach built homage to the 1937 jaguar SS100 , that was one of 50 cars coach built in ITALY 45 years ago by a company known as Intermeccanica. The full name is Intermeccanica Squire SS100. they were built using Ford mechanicals (for reliability) A ford inline 6 (250CI) four speed "top loader" and a 9" ford rear. The story goes that they intended to build 100 "Squires" but 50 got stolen off the loading dock in italy. The registry for these cars has located 45 of the 50 made. Just Google "intermeccanica squire ss100 . Mine is number 46 of the 50. Silver / black interior/ red piping 1/8 Jaguar XK  120 wire wheels . I have a one car garage... and thats what is in it. No room for a Real xk-120! ... But if I pass a WE BUY GOLD' PLACE .... AND THERE IS ONE PARKED OUTSIDE.....YA NEVER KNOW!
    SO... If i can be of any help on the wire wheel project.. please do not hesitate to ask!
    MarkO
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very exciting story!

Would make a great movie!

Hows about some pictures?

--------------------------------------------------

Merry Christmas! and a Happy New Year!

----------------------------------------------------

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. CARGAZM's Avatar Member
    Name
    MarkO
    Hi Don and Ragen
    Pictures of both the 1/8 XK120 and the 1:1 1/8 Jaguar XK  120 wire wheels scale SS-100 will be posted soon!
    Ragen: have you ever considered retrofitting 1/8 scale wire wheels from a POCHER kit?
    MarkO
    QUOTE QUOTE #8