PDA

View Full Version : Autograph F40 transkit questions

Mathieu
01-08-14, 09:33 AM
Hello all,

Beside the Pocher Aventador that is currently on my workbench, I have had the opportunity to get myself a very nice sealed Pocher K55 F40 kit. Of course, now I am more and more thinking of adding the Autograph transkit when building it...

After deeply looking to the PDFs that are available for the transkit, I have a bunch of questions that comes in my mind. I would really appreciate if someone who already build the transkit could guide me here :)

Drilling:
It looks like a lot of drilling is required. From what I have gathered, you will need 0.8 to 1.8mm drill.
I guess a Proxxon (or Dremel) tool will be the best for that, right ?

Step 2+3:
It seems that you have to drill parts WM1/WM2/WM3/WM4 for assembling them with T1 and T5. Do you "just" assemble the shock absorber? Or do you glue the T1 and T5 to WMs parts ?

Step 5A (and others):
If you take a look to the H36 part, it says here that you have to drill 0.8 holes for the screws. But the etched part already has some holes. I am wondering if you need to enlarge them... or if I understood something wrong here.

Step 7:
If seems that you will re-do the levers with brass. The Pocher original part already has 3 levers, so I am wondering why redo them with brass. Also, how do you achieve the end? You cut the original plastic part, drill it and glue it afterwards?

Step 8:
When drilling the C6 part, do you need a specific tool to make some thread? Or a simple drill hole is sufficient, and the screw will afterwards draw its own thread?

Step 10:
If I understodd everything correctly, you have to drill a 0.8mm hole wherever a bolt has been moulded in the plastic parts. But how do you fix the S1 screws? Are they also making their own thread in the plastic parts, or do you have specific parts to place on the other side ?

I guess that's all for now... and I already apologize if some of the above questions might sound silly. I am not considering myself as an expert builder, and I really would love to get the transkit on my F40.

superfly
01-08-14, 10:04 AM
Scuderia Modellie...makes really nice aftermarket wheels and rubber tires...specific to Pochers F-40real aluminum...differents styles

Ton
01-08-14, 10:26 AM
I guess that's all for now... and I already apologize if some of the above questions might sound silly. I am not considering myself as an expert builder, and I really would love to get the transkit on my F40.

Hello Mathieu

I build the Transkit 5/6 years ago. The quality kit is excellent but the instruction manual is rather poor.
So your questions aren't silly. But to give an answer on specific "step" questions I suggest you make a screenshot of the particular drawing/picture because I really cannot recall the different steps after so many years gringrin And it is also nice for our members to see what we are talking about.

The drilling part is easy to answer: a hand visor is the only tool you need. It gives you the best control over the drilling process.
Step 10: the kit contains tools for the S bolds/nuts. They grind into the plastic and snap very easy. I would use now steel bolds.

Mathieu
01-08-14, 12:18 PM
Hi Ton,
I know you would answer here :)

Just to be on the same wave length, when you speak about a hand visor, is this the protection equipement? or is it a specific tool?

superfly
01-08-14, 12:35 PM
pin vice drill

Ton
01-08-14, 12:52 PM
pin vice drill

Thank you gringrin

Guiddy
01-08-14, 12:58 PM
Does anyone have the 10% discount code in the newsletter Autograph released for this transkit? It brought the price down to 1170 Euro!

Ton
01-08-14, 01:39 PM
.......when you speak about a hand visor, is this the protection equipement? or is it a specific tool?

BTW ....this is my hand visor he1he

I was to quick in my answer gringrin

Mathieu
01-08-14, 01:49 PM
Excuse my french :)

Another quick question: Regarding the door windows, I guess you completly replace the orginal ones with the one made in Lexan.
Is some transparent Lexan provided with the kit? or do you buy your own and use the templates?

Ton
01-08-14, 02:52 PM
Excuse my french :)

Was just joking about my mistake, your question was spot on!

The lexan is part of the transkit and the side windows are replaced by slide windows. Also a template is included

I forgot to mention it but the most important skill is soldering.

Guiddy
01-09-14, 05:52 PM
I've also just spent some time looking through the PDF instructions! They are a bit frightening! Parts appear on the images with no clue how they got there!
I suppose there are thousands of parts and to prepare instructions for them all is beyond the Autograph team.

Is there a lot of guess work involved?

Ton
01-09-14, 06:24 PM
Is there a lot of guess work involved?

A wholehearted: YES. I spent 650 hours building but a same time on studying, thinking and virtual building. Maybe it is nice to follow this thread (in dutch) by just looking at the pictures. It is a comprehensive report based on every step

Modelbrouwers.nl modelbouw • Toon onderwerp - Pocher Ferrari F40 plus Autograph Transkit FINAL PICS 1 (http://www.modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=305292#p305292)

Nabbo777
01-10-14, 04:43 AM
Scuderia Modellie...makes really nice aftermarket wheels and rubber tires...specific to Pochers F-40real aluminum...differents styles
@ superfly
Do u have a weblink for this really nice aftermarket wheels? gringrin

Guiddy
01-10-14, 05:22 AM
Homepage - Scuderiamodelli by Robert (http://www.scuderiamodelli.eu/index.php)

He doesn't have much stock at the moment!

Nabbo777
01-10-14, 06:04 AM
thank u

Mathieu
02-26-14, 06:58 AM
So, finally after getting a sealed K55 kit on eBay for my X-mas (yeah, Santa was very generous gringrin), I finally ordered the Autograph Transkit. It is not yet here, but I would like to avoid as less mistakes as possible, I will most probably feed this thread with many questions.

I will certainly create another one to show the progress of the build, but that is another story... I still have an Aventador on the bench, and it is far from being finished.

Ton
02-26-14, 10:50 AM
Congratulations! Mathieu. For me it is 6 years ago so I do not know if I can answer all your questions but we will see gringrin

Mathieu
02-26-14, 11:03 AM
What I am currently trying to, is reading the PDF document (english and german... as I already saw that the English one misses somt parts in the arrays), and figure out the exact "stuff to do" for each step. But even with some simple stuff like the shock absorbers, I have tons of questions poping in my mind.

Ton
02-26-14, 12:27 PM
What I am currently trying to, is reading the PDF document (english and german... as I already saw that the English one misses somt parts in the arrays), and figure out the exact "stuff to do" for each step. But even with some simple stuff like the shock absorbers, I have tons of questions poping in my mind.

Like I said...the manual is "difficult" to understand sometimes but you will figure it out. Sometimes it is just a matter of trying. Best is to start with the engine....it is a rewarding job...but you also understand the "language" of the manual better.

rjfk2002
02-27-14, 08:37 PM
Mathieu- I also recently tracked down an unbuilt k55 kit and have the Autograph Transkit on order. Happy to swap notes/ideas as I puzzle though the build.

Rich

Guiddy
02-28-14, 08:10 AM
So it's you two who bought the last two transkits? I keep watching Uri's site waiting for the best time to buy but knowing you two are building might persuade me!

Mathieu
03-02-14, 04:43 AM
When I ordered mine, it still showed 17 available.
For the record, I ordered the 166.

-> Take a look here: Autograph 1/8 Transkit Ferrari F40 version SSO - Pocher based, 1.300, (http://shop.autographmodel.com/Autograph-1-8-Transkit-Ferrari-F40-version-SSO-Pocher-based)

Mathieu
03-02-14, 04:44 AM
Mathieu- I also recently tracked down an unbuilt k55 kit and have the Autograph Transkit on order. Happy to swap notes/ideas as I puzzle though the build.

That would be REALLY appreciated :)

Mathieu
03-03-14, 02:57 PM
Postman came with a pretty heavy package today...
I am excited like a child with his new toy!

Ton
03-03-14, 03:01 PM
Congratulations Mathieu! Start reading the manual ...over ...and over...and over gringrin

Mathieu
03-03-14, 03:59 PM
Already done more than 20 times... and still more and more questions coming along :D

Ton
03-03-14, 05:14 PM
Also study the real world diagrams of the car ...it might answer some questions.

Mathieu
03-03-14, 05:16 PM
It is more questions related to the transkit itself: For example, for the shock absorbers:
- how deep should I drill 0.8mm holes ?
- should I glue or soldier the photo-eteched parts together ?
etc...

Regarding the diagrams, Uli is joining now several pages of the F40 spare parts manual, and I have got the complete F40 service manual as PDF :)

Ton
03-03-14, 06:48 PM
At least you should drill a hole 3/4 of the length. If it is to shallow you go on...and use a pin vise for better control
You should definately solder the photo etch parts...it gives a better bond and strength.

rjfk2002
03-04-14, 12:25 AM
The kit looks impressive. Mine is still in transit. Where did you track down the service manual?

Mathieu
03-04-14, 05:38 AM
The kit looks impressive. Mine is still in transit. Where did you track down the service manual?

Look for "f40 service manual pdf" with your favorite search engine...

rjfk2002
03-04-14, 10:15 PM
Thanks found it. Guess I was trying to find the technical manual

Mathieu
03-10-14, 10:50 AM
Something very interesting: F40 LM Restoration - FerrariChat.com (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/288gto-f40-f50-enzo-laferrari/396915-f40-lm-restoration.html)
Lots of pictures of the F40 internals.

Guiddy
03-10-14, 02:34 PM
Amazing! Who leaves an F40 to rot for 8 years!!!

Ton
03-10-14, 03:25 PM
I used these DVD's

Die DVD / VCD zum Ferrari F40 Wiederaufbau :: Ferrari F40, Bosch Service Andres Salzgitter. FERRARI Sportwagen Reparatur Ersatzteile. Oldtimer, Maserati, Bentley. TYPO3 Webdesign in Salzgitter. (http://www.ferrarif40.de/ferrari-restauration/ferrari/ferrari-f40-video.html)

Mathieu
03-12-14, 09:56 AM
Another question: I saw that ScaleDetails is providing a full metal transkit for the F40 engine.
I guess you have a lot of parts in common with the Autograph transkit, and that it does not make much sense, except for the "base parts" (motor + gearbox housing) which would be in metal instead of plastic, right ?

Ton
03-12-14, 10:06 AM
Please don't use the SD kit in your car: the car with all the Autograph extras will collapse under the weight. But it is a nice standalone alone engine!

Guiddy
03-12-14, 10:23 AM
Surely there is no need, the Autograph kit has more than enough and is certainly expensive enough.
I once saw a built one going for 13,000 Euro in a shop in Maranello!

Ton
03-12-14, 01:41 PM
I once saw a built one going for 13,000 Euro in a shop in Maranello!

For that price I sell mine right away gringrin

Guiddy
03-13-14, 08:35 PM
Guys, I'm on the verge of ordering one of these, for many reasons.
Mostly, when I start adding up parts from other manufacturers to build something similar quickly it adds up to a lot for not a lot!
Even then the finished model will never have the value of the Autograph F40
Finally, I want to make my own miniature F40 as it's always been my favourite car, right from childhood to finally getting to ride in one on an EVO magazine photo shoot.
I think to try and scratch build one will only be frustrating!
Any last advice?

Ton
03-14-14, 04:43 AM
Congratulations! At last you will have a very very nice model

Guiddy
03-14-14, 10:06 AM
Beautiful! 1thumbup1

Guiddy
03-15-14, 05:43 PM
Real rubber tires available for the F40 on ebay at the moment guys....Are they worth getting?

Pocher Ferrari F 40 1/8 Echt Gummi Reifen / Real Rubber Tires | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291102819280?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649)

3.Star
03-16-14, 03:40 AM
Keep calmGuiddy,
yours will work out better, when handled the right way.

Cheers
Michael