PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Rucker Ambulance

RickyGene
11-13-12, 08:31 PM
I am new to building scale wagons and will build this as my 1st.
I am in the middle of completing another model.........but as soon as I can, I will post the build of this fascinating wagon developed to remove casualities from the battle fields of the Union Army.http://www.scalemotorcars.com/gallery/data/500/Rucker_Ambulance.jpg

xken
11-13-12, 08:53 PM
Rick, that looks like a fun project and I will look forward to seeing this build. This is one of ME's new offerings.

Ken 1gramps1

RickyGene
11-13-12, 08:54 PM
This is a Model Expo kit.......gasp.....kit!1what1 Anyhoo, was on special and I could not pass it up.
This is apart of Model Expo "Guns of History Collection"........1/16th scale.
8 1/2" length
4" wideth
6" height

To Quote ME: The carnage of the Civil War made transporting the wounded from the battlefields a matter of life and death. The ambulance wagon designed by Brigadier Generial D.H. Rucker proved to be the most valuable innovation. Used during the later half of the war, it was able to carry patients in seated or prone positions.
General Ulysses Grant used a Rucker to transport his personal effects during his campaigns.
Rickgringrin

RickyGene
11-13-12, 08:57 PM
Rick, that looks like a fun project and I will look forward to seeing this build. This is one of ME's new offerings.

Ken 1gramps1 I am honored that you will watch me, I pretty much follow your lead. I looked @ this for a couple of days and decided it would make a good 1st go @ HDVs.
Rick1thumbup1

GusSMHDV
11-13-12, 09:01 PM
Rick - this will be fun to watch...I'm looking forward to itgringrin

Cheers - Gus

RickyGene
11-13-12, 09:08 PM
Thanks Gus, again I am honored by those who design, and build proto-typical........of which I make no claim to be able to do.
I have and do replace wood....... basswood w/boxwood....holds sharper edges and takes paint slicker, and sometimes I may even bash some......I am and do build wood ships, PocherCars and on occassion a RC Glider.
I hope I do this wonderfully thought out kit justice.
Thanks for posting.
Rick1hey1

wagnmkr
11-14-12, 06:18 AM
Rick, I will also be watching this with interest when you start.

It is an interesting wagon.

Cheers,

Tom

RickyGene
11-14-12, 06:22 PM
1hey1I hope I do the wagon justice Tom, should be starting around the 1st of the new year........1thumbup1

Rick

wagnmkr
11-15-12, 05:13 AM
Like anything else, the first thing to do is to really study the plans and instructions. I am sure it will look fine when you are done. I have never seen these kits in person, but the advertising pics show them as quite high quality so you should be fine.

Cheers,

Tom

RickyGene
11-16-12, 05:04 PM
Just as Tom has suggested, I have and am still studying the plans and the written instructions as well as the parts list..........to tell the truth, I want to start this bad boy............but not yet1no1.
I have also received the ME Concord Stage Coach and the Conestoga Wagon this week........yea, I got it bad1what1.
I have on many occasions looked @ these kits with no interest @ all................and then when I seen one built, I was floored by the detail and craftsmanship of the wagon and I was hooked overnight into HDV's.
I also build wood ships, so working in wood was still within my skills, just learning a new subject.
I am excited to get in on the ground floor of a new subject posting on this Forum...........was a great idea to be suggested.
Rick1gramps1

wagnmkr
11-16-12, 06:44 PM
Rick, I have looked at the Concord coach for a couple of years now, and I still might pull the trigger on one. I sometimes tire of trying to find all the different bits you need when scratch building, particularly if it is a new arm of modelling from what one normally does.

I have built many kits in my life and I firmly believe there is just as much skill required to do a kit, if not more 'cause you are messing with something essentially that someone else built.

I also have the plans for a couple of 4 foot, radio controlled oil rig supply vessels that keep calling my name.

At least you have something to do for the foreseeable futurehe1he

Cheers,

Tom

RickyGene
11-17-12, 03:04 PM
Tom, thanks for the encouragement. I have most of my modeling career built from kits and I agree, they can be built OOB or improved to a higher standard and this has always been enough of a challenge for me. I do know how to work w/metal, but I never did learn to turn on a lathe. I like working w/wood the best and have also built in card.
I like the scratch built wagons very much and would pay for the componets from someone who has the ability to turn and make the parts my skill can not accomplish..........but I also know this is not possible since most people work @ making parts for their models only.
So kits it is for me and Model Expo seems to be leading the way in this realm.
I am looking @ a Civil War Forge right now linked to a lumber to make a HDV, and of course the
cannon as well.
1wthe1I know, I got the bug bad.............but hey, its just paper right1what1.
Rick

wagnmkr
11-18-12, 02:11 PM
Yup, a person has to do something between meals!

Cheers,

Tom

RickyGene
12-05-12, 01:10 PM
Food for thougth!22856 picpicIts all in the details.