PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari 312B2 1/12 Protar



The creative explorer
05-31-12, 10:01 AM
This is going to be a challenge, Protar isn't very known for their sophisticated kits and on top of that, this kit is already started and in a poor condition.

I had to de-assemble the cockpit and engine, after that, I had to get rid of the terrible paintjob. Including the missed prep-work, all the sprue attachments were still there.

This is how the assembled cockpit looked like.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/200.jpg

Most of it was glued with superglue
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/201.jpg

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/202.jpg

The engine didn't look much better.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/203.jpg

Most horrible are those things on top of the intake-funnels.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/204.jpg

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/205.jpg

I took a brave breath and started to dissasemble, which proofed difficult with all the superglue
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/206.jpg

Same story with the engine
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/207.jpg

And a giant leap in time to yesterday, after I finished a couple of projects, I could start on this project. This is part of a bulkhead, which lost the battle to superglue and needs to be restored. On the right is how it originally looked.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/208.jpg

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/209.jpg

The shocks and rockerarms were poorly done as well, I took everything apart and gave them a bleechbath, they are still in the bleech, the chrome is very stubborn
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/210.jpg

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/211.jpg

The panel behind the cockpit; was also in bad shape, they just glued it on, with a lot of sinkmarks, didn't look pretty at all.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/212.jpg

Bottem of cockpit, notice all that superglue
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/213.jpg

And a dry-fit, which proofed very usefull. The fit is very bad and a lot of shaving needs to be done to get it to fit nicely.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/214.jpg

I managed to get all the bodyparts that needs to go in red, in primer. By the time you read this, they will be painted in Scuderia Red.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/05/215.jpg

AirB
05-31-12, 12:58 PM
I build that kit in the early seventies with very poor result,
it was i think one of the first car kits by Protar and was very expensive
in those days.
Surely not the quality of the early Tamiya F1 kits, i remember that
the decals where drydecs and impossible to work with.
So Eric good luck with the building, and for sure i m gone follow this one.1thumbup1

hot ford coupe
05-31-12, 01:30 PM
Looks like you have a pretty good start. This one looks like a huge challenge.

Ton
05-31-12, 02:40 PM
Nice job Erik! Did The cockpit survive or do you have to scratch it?

The creative explorer
06-02-12, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys and yes, I need all the luck I can get. It is a pretty poor kit, but fortunately not as bad as the Heller DS. So, there is hope. I build this for a customer and have fortunately a lot of time, but since I also want to build for myself, I want it to finish it within a month. It is a little bit ambitious, but I think it can be done.

@Ton: it did survive, basically because most is not to be seen from the outside, so I can get away with a little rough finish there.

Don Garrett
06-02-12, 03:09 PM
Erik, I'm sure you're up to the task...hang in there big guy. 1thumbup1

The creative explorer
06-06-12, 03:34 PM
Thanks Don!, I need that haha

And we struggle further. I have been working mostly on the engine and the bodypanels, especially the engine needs a lot of work to get cleaned up, getting complete and rebuild again. So far I am still in the process of getting all the parts sanded and ready for some paint.


Shown vaguely here are the parts coming from the engine. The covers for the valvecovers were too bad, so I am going to replace them with new ones.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/06/70.jpg

Basically all these parts, except the exhaust, will be discarded and replaced, they are just too badly damaged.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/06/71.jpg

And a jump to the bodypanels. I airbrushed them with Scuderia Red and then 2K glossed them. After it dried, I applied the dry-transfers. Which was a living nightmare, the dry-transfer bit wasn't working no more, so I had to find an alternative to get them on.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/06/72.jpg

The sidepanels.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/06/73.jpg

And all the parts done with detailling, I decided not to clearcoat the decals, I figured they didn't do that in those either. So it is shiny bodywork with silk-matt decals.
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/06/74.jpg

A last picture of the cockpit-cowling
http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2012/06/75.jpg