PDA

View Full Version : New Micro Machinist Forum

ScaleMotorcars
07-31-09, 07:02 PM
Well its been a long time building but its finally open for posting.

You'll find 7 new calculators at the top of this page. I have room for one more is anyone would like to make a suggestion.

For now, enjoy.... 1yeah1

Rick
07-31-09, 10:02 PM
Good stuff Dan. Thanks!

troppo
07-31-09, 11:46 PM
Yeah thanks dan, this could be a very educational and rewarding forum1clap1

hot ford coupe
08-01-09, 12:24 AM
I'm up for this.

Herman
08-01-09, 12:04 PM
imperial to useful calculator? he1hegringrin

Mario Lucchini
08-01-09, 01:46 PM
Great idea Dan!.............I'm in in this new Forum, and I'll start showing my last fully working project...." 88 mm Flak 36 Gun", the most infamous German AntiAircraft gun used in WW 2, devised by german engineers and made by Krupp Aktiengessellschaft.

The model will be completely scratchbuilt, mainly in brass, scale 1:20 and it will be fully functional and it will fire blanks (shotgun shell primers)

Don, you'll like this one, smoke and blasts galore!....he1he

Pics very soon....and I'll try to make this one as a tutorial in brass scratchbuilding....Ken has made me nervous!.....1rolling1

Mario

Mario Lucchini
08-01-09, 06:53 PM
Part of the original blueprints I found in the web of the 88 mm Flak Gun, which will be the model announced....gringrin

Mario

hot ford coupe
08-01-09, 07:43 PM
I see another model of the month here. I can't wait to see this one develop especially if it will be a working model. Strut away Mario. I'm sure a lot of what you'll show will be applicable to some other uses.

ScaleMotorcars
08-01-09, 08:35 PM

Haha. What you don't like the Imperial standard?

Mario, Didnt I see that gun in another thread? I think you were turning a handle for it.

Post some pics in the gallery if you can. We need to start building it. Maybe some of that very cool antique lathe your doing also. 1thumbup1

xken
08-01-09, 08:40 PM
Looking forward to seeing your tutorial; I still have a great deal to learn yet. 1thumbup1

Several years ago I saw one of these at the Nureumberg International Toy Fair when my planes were on exhibit with Fine Art Models. The fellow that had it was a German machinist and everything worked on it and it took him 6 years to build. Unfortunately, his English was at the same level as my German and we talked through an interpurtter.

Any update on the Jag build?

Ken1gramps1

Mario Lucchini
08-01-09, 08:50 PM
Haha. What you don't like the Imperial standard?

Mario, Didnt I see that gun in another thread? I think you were turning a handle for it.

Post some pics in the gallery if you can. We need to start building it. Maybe some of that very cool antique lathe your doing also. 1thumbup1

You saw another gun Dan, this one is a brand new project.....gringrin

Mario Lucchini
08-01-09, 08:52 PM
Looking forward to seeing your tutorial; I still have a great deal to learn yet. 1thumbup1

Several years ago I saw one of these at the Nureumberg International Toy Fair when my planes were on exhibit with Fine Art Models. The fellow that had it was a German machinist and everything worked on it and it took him 6 years to build. Unfortunately, his English was at the same level as my German and we talked through an interpurtter.

Any update on the Jag build?

Ken1gramps1

Hey Ken!....the Jag is going steady, I'm in the German cannon in parallel with the Jag....pics coming soon...

Cheers

Mario

Mario Lucchini
08-01-09, 08:57 PM
I see another model of the month here. I can't wait to see this one develop especially if it will be a working model. Strut away Mario. I'm sure a lot of what you'll show will be applicable to some other uses.

I think you'll like it Jeff.....I'm drawing the scale plans non stop!....gringrin

Regards and congrats on your tutorials,,,you're reaching unsuspected modeling levels!!!

Mario

hot ford coupe
08-01-09, 09:41 PM
Thanks Mario. I'm starting to get my head back and I'm more able to do certain tasks. My patience level is beginning to expand but I'm not back to normal yet. I think I'm headed in the right direction though.

Lee in Texas
08-02-09, 12:59 AM
Part of the original blueprints I found in the web of the 88 mm Flak Gun, which will be the model announced....gringrin

Mario

Have you ever seen blueprints for the 128mm Flak gun, or the 128mm twin mount?

Lee in Texas
08-02-09, 01:01 AM
Is this to be large-scale topics only?

Don Garrett
08-02-09, 08:39 AM
Large scale is a strange duck Lee. A 1/25 scale aircraft carrier would be humongous. On the other side of the coin a 1/4 scale 2-barrel carburetor wouldn't be large in size but would have to be considered a large scale replica. So how high is up....don't let the term "large scale" throw you. If you would like to post something I'm sure there is a place for it here at SMC.1gramps1

ScaleMotorcars
08-04-09, 04:18 PM

Herman, You asked for it so here you go. Its linked on the forums homepage also and Ill add it to the top of the MM forum shortly.

Metric to useful Calc. (http://www.scalemotorcars.com/index.php?pageid=English-Imperial-Metric-Converter)

1thumbup1

gbritnell
08-04-09, 10:51 PM
I'm certainly glad you started this new forum. It's not that I don't enjoy plastic it's just that my greatest interest is machining and building operating engines. I don't know how many machinists, either professional or amateur, that we have here but along the way I would like to post some WIP's for some of my work. I don't have much for the early engines because they were built before digital cameras came into my world but the procedures are about the same for most of them. The calculators are great, especially the gear tooth one. I'll be using that one repeatedly.
Thanks,
gbritnell

hot ford coupe
08-05-09, 12:16 AM
Hey g, the great thing about this forum is that plastic is only one of the media we use to make models. Working scale engine models to me represents the highest level you can go. It doesn't get more real than that. We would love to see pics of what you do. :)'

ScaleMotorcars
08-05-09, 12:04 PM
Glad you guys like it.

Let me know if you think of anything else we need on the site. 1thumbup1

Herman
08-06-09, 12:21 PM
Herman, You asked for it so here you go. Its linked on the forums homepage also and Ill add it to the top of the MM forum shortly.

Metric to useful Calc. (http://www.scalemotorcars.com/index.php?pageid=English-Imperial-Metric-Converter)

1thumbup1

That's great. I love the debate about imperial vs metric. I also like to poke things up at times.

Dod you know it is illegal in the UK to sell apples by the lbs? Kilograms it is, or grams, where 1000 grams = 1 kilogram. (kilo for short)

Calculating in metric is all about dividing by 10, 100, 1000, etc. Or just moving the decimal seperator, that is.

I am in the polyester industry, and things are even more fun there. Weight of the different glass fabrics, glass mat, etc is all in grams per square meter. (23,5 gram = 1 ounce, 1 square meter = approx 10 square foot)
In the USA, however:
glass mat is named as ounces / sq ft.
glass fabric is named as ouces / sq yd.

Which makes life simple...

Don Garrett
08-06-09, 02:27 PM
We like things simple. gringrin

ScaleMotorcars
08-06-09, 02:57 PM
Simple is good.

K.I.S.S.

Keep
It
Simple
St***d

Ya I know, probably going to moderate the post. 1strange1

hot ford coupe
08-06-09, 03:19 PM
I pretty much use the metric system most of the time. I find that when I go to millimeters instead of inch fractions, I can get much more precise with my measurements. Besides that, I don't have to go into tons of fraction conversions. It's all the same system.