PDA

View Full Version : TDR Cyber Workbench

Daytonatim
03-07-09, 05:24 PM
We here at TDR are striving to be the most dynamic, innovative and intouch parts supplier to the large scale modeling community. So I am starting this thread to be our ongoing meeting place for folks to come in, pull up a chair and talk about what they would like to see TDR develope and to see what TDR has developed and will soon be releasing.

I will use this thread as a showcase for our new, soon to be released products. I will use it to post up pictures showing the computer models we have developed and will soon be releasing. I wont use this thread as a WIP thread, that will string things out too long. I don't want anyone to be disappointed waiting months for a computer model to be developed. Once I post it up you can bet it is finished and will be advertised for sale very soon. Once the advertisment is posted up, here on the SMC website, we will notify everyone.

Now what we at TDR would like you to do in this thread, is to help steer us toward new and exciting products for you guys. If we release an engine kit, this is the place where you can talk about accessories to be added to that engine. If you want to have a 427 sideoiler engine, then let's talk about it. If enough people express intrest in it, then it will be put on the TDR "ToDo" list.

If you want to talk to us about a "Personal Project" then contact me via private messages.

Just please remember, I am just one person, and it does take time to develope computer models to the point they can be made up on a 3D printer.

Oh, when I talk numbers or size of parts, I am talking of 1:1 scale. You guys will have to scale it to your working scale.

So, with that said here are some pictures of items that have been made up and are in the "TDR Speed Shop" parts bin and soon to be advertised for sale.

Daytonatim
03-07-09, 05:38 PM
Well, this is an old model that was developed about 6 months ago. It is a model of a 255 cu inch Offenhauser, 4 cylinder engine. This type of engine ran for over 50 years in sprint cars, indy cars, boats, and just about anything that wanted to go fast from the 1930's all the way through the 1980's

Imagine having a 4 valve per cylinder, dual overhead cam engine back in the 1930! Mr Miller (the original designer) was an automotive genius and way ahead of his time!

The computer model is fully developed and in our parts bin. All we at TDR have left to do is check to see if there are any "bugs" buzzing around in it.

This model has 62 individual parts for your detailing pleasure.

Note: The picture shows computer generated image of the engine in finish form. Our kit will not have the bolts or screw head modeled in. The bolt holes are modeled in and ready for your scale hardware to be added. Some ingenius little sole will probably come up with a hardware kit someday.

Well this baby is ready for sale now. Here is a link where you can find purchase info.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/157/cat/62

Daytonatim
03-07-09, 05:42 PM
Ok, the next little item is something I worked up one evening. I thought we could use some nice modern sport carseats in our inventory.

If someone decides to build a modern hotrod these seats would look right at home.

These seats are now available for purchase. Follow this link for more info.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/154/cat/65

Daytonatim
03-07-09, 05:46 PM
Now, for those of you that prefer a bone rattling ride. Here is a beefy 11 inch topfuel/funny car rear end. This baby is not made for your Saturday night racer, this is some serious hardware for a serious racer!

Notice the symetric quad braking system to hold your beast at the starting line!!!

This rear is now available for purchase. Here is where you can get more info.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/160/cat/63

Daytonatim
03-07-09, 05:53 PM
Ok, next up, is a nice low profile directional street tire. This tire has a 3 inch sidewalls and comes in 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, and 6 inch widths. It also comes with appropriate adjustable cylindrical rims (not shown) to work with our modular rim/mag wheel system.

More on the modular wheel system later.

Daytonatim
03-07-09, 05:55 PM
Next up, is a nice low profile directional street tire. This tire has a 5 inch sidewalls and comes in 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, and 6 inch widths. It also comes with appropriate adjustable cylindrical rims (not shown) to work with our modular rim/mag wheel system.

More on the modular wheel system later.

Rick
03-09-09, 06:04 PM
The TDR Speed Shop is now open for business. You'll find us in the Marketplace section under TDR Parts.

Please make all orders through TDR Parts, not here.

Rick
03-12-09, 06:13 PM
We're about to unleash a dual four TDR Hemi to our parts line. This engine comes with everything from the fan to a torqueflite trans. Available soon will be a line of speed equipment for this engine.

We're thinking about creating a kit, that would include an MF body, and a TDR engine, trans and rear end. We want to give you what you want so would appreciate some feedback on this particular idea.

In addition, we have the capability to create almost anything, including satisfying the needs of our friends who build boats, planes, bikes and dioramas.

Talk to us!

Tage
03-12-09, 07:23 PM
The Hemi and torqueflight sounds like the perfect place to start.

I love the idea of pairing with the glas bodies.

But even with XKens tutorial, I am still intimidated by a chassis build.

Perhaps another tutorial of some sectioned frame work would help things along.
Anyone willing to step up to the plate?

kcvnd
03-12-09, 08:01 PM
We're about to unleash a dual four TDR Hemi to our parts line. This engine comes with everything from the fan to a torqueflite trans. Available soon will be a line of speed equipment for this engine.

We're thinking about creating a kit, that would include an MF body, and a TDR engine, trans and rear end. We want to give you what you want so would appreciate some feedback on this particular idea.

In addition, we have the capability to create almost anything, including satisfying the needs of our friends who build boats, planes, bikes and dioramas.

Talk to us!

I know a bunch of folks who would be interested in 1:8 scale Allisons and Roll Royce Merlins for their scale boats, myself included. Since you have the drawing of the Allison already set up for 1:8 what is the cost to have one 3D'd? I may be interested!

Rick
03-12-09, 10:46 PM
The Allison is already done, it just needs to be tweeked a bit.

Don, can you bring these folks up to date on it please.

Don Garrett
03-13-09, 07:09 AM
Gotta run at the moment...but will try to shed some light on the Al this afternoon. I'm sure Tim will also post some info.

Daytonatim
03-13-09, 10:21 AM
I am in the process of making modifications to the Big-Al. I am trying to correct some detail errors that were missed in the first attempt.

I am close and working hard at it, so hang in there. gringringringrin

ScaleMotorcars
03-13-09, 10:40 AM
Sorry to keep moving you around but we now have a Digital Forum. All threads with Digital content should go there.

That would include all 2D and 3D art. Thanks...

Daytonatim
03-17-09, 07:36 AM
Next up, in the TDR Innovations stable, is the beast of all beasts. The 426 Hemi, complete with a dual quad setup, 727 Torqueflite tranny, altenator, power steering pump, all pullies and exhaust stub tube flange just waiting for your custom header tubes.

Also included in this kit is a complete crank output flange and flywheel. Just incase you want to display this engine on one of our TDR engine stands.

Ok, this beast is now ready for sale. Here is where you can see more information on purchasing this monster.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/159/cat/62

Deuces-wild
03-28-09, 07:04 AM
Hi Tim. I'm not sure if this is the thread for this post, but one of the items on my wish list for the 426 HEMI is: www.kinsler.com/NewProducts/Pics/JPG/Hemi_orange_web.jpg (http://www.kinsler.com/NewProducts/Pics/JPG/Hemi_orange_web.jpg) Ya think we would see something like this on the option list in the near future???? Inquiring minds would like to know.. Thanks!........ Guido R.1yeah1

Daytonatim
03-28-09, 08:28 AM
Guido, wishlist items like this is exactly what this thread is for so please feel free to post up ideas like this any time.

Yes, a fuel injection system like you linked to, is very high on the priority list for Hemi accessories. We also want to get a blower setup and a tunnel ram setup. As of your posting, the injector system is in the lead to be the first to be worked up. Unless others start to chime in with their wishlist items

If I could get you guys to give me input like this then I will know what directions to start heading. It only makes sense to make what you guys want.

It also helps a lot if you guys could post a lot of pictures or plans for the items too. The computer modeling part is not the hard part, it is the accumulation of information that goes into the modeling that is hard and time consuming. If someone has a highly detailed model part of the item, in any scale, and could send it to me, that is the best. That way I can mic it and study it and model it up pretty quick. I will return the part as soon as I am done.

Tim

Deuces-wild
03-28-09, 09:57 AM
COOL!! Thanks Tim.1clap1

Nortley
03-28-09, 12:54 PM
Wish lists - mine would take up several gigs of space, but one (deceptively?) simple item I'd like to see is a motorcycle chain kit in a sufficient range of sizes to cover 1/9, 1/8, and 1/6 scales. The links could be photoetchings, but I suppose the pin/roller parts would be best produced by some automated turning process. With a range of blank sprockets - teeth only, and a center hole (modeler finishes the other holes or cutouts to suit), many otherwise excellent kits could be greatly enhanced. Thank you for asking.

Rick
03-28-09, 01:27 PM
Nortley.........our friends who build bikes, boats and planes are on the radar screen but its going to be a while before we move in that direction. Our focus right now is on the automotive scene and creating a line of parts, accessories and bodies because thats where our audience is.

Don't be discouraged though, when you guys ask for something it will be put on the list and when Tim has the time, he'll throw some pixels into the shaker and see what comes out.

Don Garrett
03-28-09, 01:30 PM
Listen up gang, Tim is saying to talk "wish lists" here. TDR is working for you....
I'll break the ice here by posting my wish list.

1. An accurate nail-head, 409 or Olds Rocket.
2. Simple TDR 9" kit with U-joints (just the pumpkin and out board stuff) discs or backing plates. The axle tubes and drive shaft (plastic hobby store stuff) could be cut to the length needed for individual builders needs by the builder. And most of all.......inexpensive.
3. Speak up....if you guys want this stuff, understand that we're deciding our what to do production on your input......if you have nothing to say, chances are it won't happen.

Daytonatim
03-28-09, 02:55 PM
Boy if you would have asked for an Olds Rocket 10 years ago I could have had all kinds of engines to model from. Had an old friend of mine that was head over heals for Olds 455's.

Man what a beast that engine was. He an I were out cruising one night and he decided to jump on it in town...... All I remember doing was grabbing onto the A pillar and yelling "NOT IN TOWN BOB, NOT IN TOWN!!!!!!!". He must have layed a pair of 50' black marks. The cops were just one block over and just waiting for someone to get stupid.

Deuces-wild
03-28-09, 04:40 PM
That's a torque monster for ya Tim... All 510 foot pounds of it. gringrin That's enough torque to rotate the Earth on a different axis.... Depending on which direction you were traveling....

hot ford coupe
03-28-09, 05:29 PM
I'll piggy back on what Don said. I'd also like to see the nailhead, 409 and the Olds. The Olds and Ford pumpkin rear ends would be an ideal alternative to the deuce quick change rear. If we can also have an S.CoT. blower, that would be great too.

Rick
03-28-09, 06:22 PM
TDR has had several requests for a Ford 9" rear end. Tim has it at the top of his list and it will be the next addition to the TDR parts list. Like Don said previously, the kit will consist of the center section and some brackets, probably for coilovers and four bar set up. The options will include wither disc or drum brakes. The builder will have to supply his own axel tubes.

Daytonatim
03-28-09, 08:44 PM
Wish lists - mine would take up several gigs of space, but one (deceptively?) simple item I'd like to see is a motorcycle chain kit in a sufficient range of sizes to cover 1/9, 1/8, and 1/6 scales. With a range of blank sprockets - teeth only, and a center hole (modeler finishes the other holes or cutouts to suit), many otherwise excellent kits could be greatly enhanced.

Hey Nortle:

That would be an interesting little model to try and is perfect for computers. You only have to model 3 or 4 components and repeat it A LOT OF TIMES. Like I said, perfect for a computer.

If you could post up some dimensions of the chains and sprockets, in real world 1:1 dimensions I will look into it.

I like a challenge.

Tim

Don Garrett
04-15-09, 03:45 PM
Wasn't sure where I was going to put this thread......but this seemed to be appropriate I guess. The TDR kids figured that we should offer the 426 in resin as well as the Do It Yourself kit.
M.F. (that's the old master up there in the highlands somewhere) said "hey, some of these guys aren't going to want to do the sanding and finishing work on these DIY kits, how about offering a basic hot rod Elephant in resin for the guys that are just getting started in large scale".
Being a glutton for punishment I said "OK"...send me one and I'll turn it into a master for casting.
Jeff is going to be doing an evaluation/tute on building the DIY version so I'll just stomp around here to keep you guys in the loop as to what, where and when the resin version will be ready to go.
I've talked with Rick and for the next couple of weeks, this will be the only project on my bench....we agreed that getting it out as quickly as possible is a priority so here we go.
The kit came in the mail today and I haven't had hands on this version yet. TDR is constantly upgrading their products quietly in the back ground.
My next post will be square one......opening the box and seeing how it's packaged and presented....yes there will be tell tale photos. Follow along gang....most of you know I call 'em like I see 'em.

robjos32
04-15-09, 04:12 PM
I'd like to see a Suzuki Hyabusa engine, complete with a parts kit so that you so that you modify it as much as you wanted to, and you could build a rear engine hot rod, should you feel the need to do so. A pro street rear end, various styles of racing seats, ranging from the period correct to the race ones, with slots for harnesses, individual instrument bezels, so that you could set the instruments out, and not as per the decal.

Rick
04-15-09, 05:47 PM
Hey Rob

Have a look at our parts page. TDR has a pro street style rear end kit.

Don Garrett
04-16-09, 03:02 PM
Back to the biz at hand.......opened the box containing the TDR 426, hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Dumped out the contents, wow, now that's some bullet proof packing. Gold Star for packing and presentation. I really hate buying stuff only to have it damaged in transit...no way with this packaging. I'm already happy and I haven't even inventoried the parts yet...sure is a bunch of 'em.gringrin

Don Garrett
04-16-09, 04:19 PM
Took me close to half an hour to unwrap all this stuff( that's a good thing), each little bubble pack is taped and secure. The tiny parts are in their own little baggie....I didn't spread them out for fear of losing them. Gang all I really have to say at this point is "where the hell was this stuff when I was younger"?

This is the complete fan to trans TDR 426. I also have the original prototype.......apples and oranges, this kit is complete and to scale with no major issues. If you have a little patience and basic modeling skills this is way beyond anything else out there in this price range. Yeah. I'm a cog in the TDR machine but this is happy dance stuff.

A word of caution here from the old fart....these are not open the box glue 'em together kits.....but I can say without reservation...if you've moved up a step from glue bombs this will with a minimum of effort build up into a contest winner.

hot ford coupe
04-16-09, 05:23 PM
Looks like you beat me to the pic, Don. I'm lagging behind. I'm still working on solving some of the suspension mods for the box stock deuce. I've got about 5 tutorials going at once for that alone. I'll be starting the TDR 426 this weekend.

nascarnbroncosfans
04-16-09, 09:32 PM
Just posting this here for a wish list. if thats okay. thanks guys

For such car lovers out there as ther are, This sold out pretty fast...

The “California Kid” 1-24th scale diecast from The Danbury Mint Nascarnbroncosfans’s Weblog (http://nascarnbroncosfans.wordpress.com/2009/03/28/the-california-kid-1-24th-scale-diecast-from-the-danbury-mint/)

and I went to visit the Real car this past week finally after 33 some years.

The California Kid, my visit, March 31st, 2009 Nascarnbroncosfans’s Weblog (http://nascarnbroncosfans.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/the-california-kid-my-visit-march-31st-2009/)

I am really suprised that there IS NOT a demand for the 34.

Even doing a 34 bonnie n clyde car would be great. 4 door?

many repro companies make rolling chassis for complete repro cars now.

too bad we cant get the the drawings scaled down for mini dies to be made and make mini brass fenders-bodies-chassis.

........anyway, was just a thought.

Original Posting:

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/large-scale-cars/2723-1934-ford-3-window-coupe-resin-body-fenders.html

hot ford coupe
04-16-09, 11:10 PM
I would suspect that a 34 body and frame could be done but it would be some time in the future, probably later than sooner to be honest. We have so many irons in the fire and pending projects going on that making anything now would be extremely difficult. I'm not sure how long it takes to get accurate measurements, draw up the blueprints, master the body, fenders, grill and all that stuff, make good molds etc etc, but I do know that to make something worth distributing to our members takes quite a long time and more effort than we can expend at this time. In my opinion, the 34 is different enough from the 32 that working off a 32 would give us a number of inaccuracies, angles, shapes and whatever such that the resulting product will not be accurate enough to put our name to. When we make it, we definitely want to make it right. Hang in there and we'll do the best we can. Thanks for understanding.

BTW, those pics of the Kid are really great. Thanks for linking them up.

nascarnbroncosfans
04-16-09, 11:23 PM
Would it be a good idea the contact Steves Auto Restoration and try to get some drawings? They DO the Complete '34 in rolling chassis. New Bodies

maybe an option?

Steve Frisbee is the owner.... maybe one of the web owners-fab guys here can contact him?

Steve's Auto Restorations - Home (http://www.stevesautorestorations.com/index.php)

Or even Jason Slover at www.peteandjakes.com (http://www.peteandjakes.com) who owns the actual car.

(trying to help)...

anyway, hope everyone had a great Easter

hot ford coupe
04-17-09, 01:13 AM
To be honest, getting the drawings IMHO won't speed up the process. That's one of the easier parts to do. Getting to the stage where you can provide a product is the biggest stumbling block. That's what's going to take the time. I love the 34 as much if not more than the deuce. I even have a picture of one exactly the way I want to build it. It's a chopped 3 window coupe in an Ivory color with wide whites. Like I said before, hang in there. Everything in it's own time. :)'

nascarnbroncosfans
04-17-09, 01:28 AM
okay well about the time you dont offer help, someone will want it.

thanks

Rick
04-17-09, 08:15 AM
Time to put this debate to rest.............as a partner in TDR, I can tell you that the 34 will not happen any time soon. We have bodies, parts and accessories being developed and we have a list of things to consider in the future. The 34 is on that list.

Lets get back to building what we have.

nascarnbroncosfans
04-17-09, 10:18 AM
Debate?.....hardly. Trying to offer resources and asking questions? Yes.

Im done

Daytonatim
04-17-09, 10:42 AM
No, this "debat" is cool. This thread is here to wish and dream.

Just to let everyone know though, when it comes to car bodies I have a real tough time modeling them. I have done them before but they take an long time, about 3 months.

But there are other people out there that can model car bodies up in about 3 days. So, I will take this opertunity to post up some some sources of electronic models that everyone can check out and network with that might just get them the car of your dream.

If you find something, just rattle my cage and I can work with you to make sure you purchase something I can work with and I can work it up into a form for rapid prototyping for you. I am currently learning the quarks of modeling up car bodies for rapid prototyping and there will be some coming out soon.

So here are some links to Computer car models sources:

Probably the best car artist I have ever seen
The Digital Garage Project (http://www.palat.com.br/cars.html)

This site is full of artists that love to make computer model of cars
Scratch Made Cars - Car Blueprints Forum (http://www.smcars.net/)

This is the largest computer model site out there
3D Models, 3D Modeling Textures and Plugins at TurboSquid (http://www.turbosquid.com/)

This site has a lot of top shelf computer models
3d02.com The Finest 3d Model Store (http://3d02.com/home_01.aspx)

If you want that car of your dreams, we have to work together. I just can't do it all, I don't have the time and/or talent. But if you are willing to put some work into it I am willing to help.

Tim

nascarnbroncosfans
04-17-09, 10:47 AM
This site is mostly in spanish or italian and I cannot tell where or who to contact.

The Digital Garage Project (http://www.palat.com.br/cars.html (http://www.palat.com.br/cars.html))

Scratch Made Cars - Car Blueprints Forum (http://www.smcars.net/ (http://www.smcars.net/))

SMCars is a huge pain in the behind to get registered and I gave up after 11 times of trying the no spam question-code.

Daytonatim
04-17-09, 10:55 AM
This page has his email address in it. Just write him, he is a friend of mine and a really good guy.

::: | DAN PALATNIK | ::: (http://www.palat.com.br/ilust.html)

Don Garrett
04-17-09, 04:07 PM
nascarnbroncosfans, Tim, Rick.
TDR is a group of modelers as are we all. Wish lists are a great thing because it gives us a barometer to help us decide what our priorities are to be. However we will not tell you guys that something is in the works unless it actually is a viable product.

All that being said lets deal with this '34 issue so that there are no misunderstandings, hurt feelings or confusion. A few us us would like to have a '34...that's cool beans.

Will TDR do one anytime soon.....nope! TDR is set up where it takes all 4 of the guys that pay the bills and do the grunt work to make this stuff happen. We are lucky to break even on these projects and that has to be considered. We are here to give the large scale industry a breath of fresh air and some new toys to play with. Keep in mind all this is at our expense.....not the modelers.

Rick has already said "too many things to take on another body right now". I'm finishing up the C-cab 3 'n 1 kit and moving on to a Roth inspired '70s show car body and then if all goes well a proper '49-"50 Merc.

None of this is to say you can't have a '34....you certainly can and TDR will help any way we can....but understand that means you finance and do the leg work to make it happen.
I know this may sound a bit abrasive but it's not intended to be that way....my mouth isn't in my pocket and I speak my mind. Sorry big guy but unless you are willing to roll up your sleeves and really get involved in a '34 it's going to be a while. Feel free to contact me (back door privately) if you want to pursue it.

nascarnbroncosfans
04-17-09, 05:34 PM
"too many things to take on another body right now".

Understood......

debate over

Daytonatim
05-11-09, 08:26 AM
Hey guys. I have been kind of quiet on this thread lately. Part of that is due to the work being done on the 1/8th scale Offy buildup but also because I have been digitally working on a secret project. I cannot tell you what it is, I will leave it up to others on this site to do that when they think the time is right.

My end of the secret project is done for now so I am free to work on other things that are not so secret. So I thought I would give you guys a sneak peek at a new engine I am working on. TDR's next big project is going to be a highly detailed Jaguar XK engine, tranny and bellhousing. Here are some WIP pics.

If anyone spots any problems please speak up now, this is why I am posting the WIP pics, because they are a lot easier to address at this stage than farther down the road. Also please chime in with any thoughts or ideas, your input is invaluable.

Tim

xken
05-11-09, 12:48 PM
I had to re-register at work so now I am a new member....xken1.....

One suggestion the oil pan on the early cars were not ribbed. You may wish to offer both options or if easy enough can be sanded off. Keep up the great work. By the way I mentioned this to a couple of people at a meeting and their first reaction was where and when could they get them. You may also consider a size as a replacement for the Monogram kit and a 1/4 as a desktop display with cover.

Ken1gramps1

hot ford coupe
05-11-09, 01:58 PM
Now you guys are really starting to peak my interest in a Jag build. I had one of the Revell of Germany kits but I gave it away to someone who wanted it more. I've got to try and see if I can get another one. I'm actually going further and further towards what I really love in model building and that's the classics.

Daytonatim
05-11-09, 02:29 PM
I had to re-register at work so now I am a new member....xken1.....

One suggestion the oil pan on the early cars were not ribbed. You may wish to offer both options or if easy enough can be sanded off. Keep up the great work. By the way I mentioned this to a couple of people at a meeting and their first reaction was where and when could they get them. You may also consider a size as a replacement for the Monogram kit and a 1/4 as a desktop display with cover.

Ken1gramps1

Yes, I have seen both types of pans. Ken, do you know when they changed to the ribbed pan? I have also seen some ribbed valve covers, do you know when these showed up?

Ken, just fyi, I have had a lot more luck finding some good pictures of the Jag engine........now that I am searching with the correct name. I finally learned that this engine is the "XK" engine NOT the "XKE" engine.

I am slowly learning about the early jags, that is part of the fun of research.

This is the first computer model I am designing that will not consider manufacturing limitations of resin. Rapid prototyping has no limits except the thickness of the material. So I plan on incorporating alignment pins and whole parts much more in its design. This should make it easier for the assembler

If TDR decides to take this engine to resin then I will rework the critical parts to make it easier to mold.

xken
05-11-09, 04:24 PM
Ken, do you know when they changed to the ribbed pan? I have also seen some ribbed valve covers, do you know when these showed up?

I beleive the ribs showed up with the introduction of the 4.2 liter engine in 1966 or there abouts I will have to do some checking. I have a book somewhere that lists every change in chronologial order from 1961 to 1974.

The early engines were 3.8 liter with no pollution devices and were the stronger of all the engines. The 4.2 was introduced as an attempt to offset the loss of power by pollution controls but never quite made it. In there they also went from triple SU carbs to two carbs. Jaguar made very many running changes throughout production and some restoration shops are not as accurate in the details of replacement parts as they should be.

My offer still stands for me to send you books. Order a parts catalog from XK Unlimited in San Luis Obispo, CA. Here is a link to their downloadable PDF catalogs that may help.

http://www.xks.com/jaguar/eType_catalog/index.aspx

Ken 1gramps1

Daytonatim
05-11-09, 04:34 PM
Thanks Ken, I will check out the link.

For right now I am ok on the details, I think, but I will keep the book offer in mind. I was not able to find any repair books on the XKE in my area but the pics on the web are sufficing for now.

Daytonatim
05-16-09, 04:43 PM
Just wanted to share something brand spanking new with you guys. I recon you guys are kind of getting tired of seeing all the mechanical parts that TDR has been producing. That is all my fault, I am a lot better drawing up mechanical stuff than I am at drawing up stuff with the flowing, organic, lines......... read that as car bodies.

BUT......

I am learning to work with car bodies that other, much more accomplished artists, have worked up. It has been a little bit of a learning curve to travel up. I have had to deal with bodies breaking in half during manufacturing but I think I about have if figured out.

So, I wanted to share with you guys my latest. It is a 1/18th scale Jaguar D Type. I searched the internet for many, many months looking for a computer model of the D type. It was really hard to find. Finally I found an engineering firm in New Zeland that had a computer model of the D type up on their web page. I wrote to them and asked them if they would sell me the model, and to my surprise, they did.

I know, I know, I can just hear the groans now........... "Why in the word did you make it in 1/18th scale?".......

Well I did it for two reasons. First, I wanted to check out my structural support design at a smaller scale.....because smaller is cheaper. I did not want to have a large one break in half because I missed something. Second, and this is the most important one, I got into this CNC mill and rapid prototyping stuff in the first place because I could not find the cars I wanted to add to my diecast collection. Now I have the D Type I have wanted.

I am planning to finish it off in a "curb side" fashion and add it to my Die cast. I don't want to sink a lot of effort into it, I just want to get my hands dirty working up some bodies. I also have the wheels, tires, and seat printed up. I will include them in the thread I post up when I start working on this.

Now for the good news. Because I did this car body up in 1/16 scale, read that as small scale, I can easily print it up in 1/16th and 1/12th scale with no modification!!! So if anybody is interested in these other scales just contact me, via PM, and we can talk specifics.

Now as far as 1/8th scale goes, I will have to split the car up into 3 chunks to make it up in 1/8th scale, so it will require more work. On top of that, the 8th scale bodies get pretty expensive to make up by rapid prototype. It is a lot more cost effective to make up a 8th scale body, make a mold of it, and make up the bodies in the mold. I don't know if TDR will persue the 8th scale version or not. I guess it just depends on the intrest shown by you guys.

Oh, just as a side note.....the Jaguar XK engine I am working up is a natural for the D type. I am planning on doing up a 1/12th scale version of this baby myself in the near future. I have to rework some of the parts on the engine and tranny but the main meat of the engine is good.

OK, enough of the talk, here are some pics.

46SuperDeluxe
05-17-09, 12:32 AM
Hey Daytonatim,

I like the D Jag"wire" or as the Brits say Jag...ewe/er or is it Ja ..guar. At any rate C and D Jags have been a favorite for a long time. I got a kick out of an old B&W film on Youtube of Mike Hawthorne lapping around Le Mans with an in car camera and an old school mic rig stuck on his chest to catch his in car comments as he wizzes around numerous people riding bicycles. I spoke to you before about 3D lithography and I was wondering if you might answer some technical questions about the process, since I have only seen stuff on TV and have never had any in hand. So the process doesn't put out a smooth finish due to the nature of the process, ie; laser beam running across the gel medium to produce the object? The pieces must still be worked over with sandpaper as what you were showing on the Offy build, and then molds set up for casting resin duplicates? I got a quote from a place for some wheels and tires that I want to do,- still wicked expensive in my opinion. On your Jag project, are the pieces under the body parts of the car just sprues to keep the body intact during the process? They look like framework, and I thought the rear portion of the Jag was monocoque(sp?) Anyhow, great work, keep it up. -Gary1thumbup1

Daytonatim
05-17-09, 08:00 AM
Hey Daytonatim,

So the process doesn't put out a smooth finish due to the nature of the process, ie; laser beam running across the gel medium to produce the object? The pieces must still be worked over with sandpaper as what you were showing on the Offy build, and then molds set up for casting resin duplicates? I got a quote from a place for some wheels and tires that I want to do,- still wicked expensive in my opinion. On your Jag project, are the pieces under the body parts of the car just sprues to keep the body intact during the process? They look like framework, and I thought the rear portion of the Jag was monocoque(sp?) Anyhow, great work, keep it up. -Gary1thumbup1

Thanks Gary. Yes, the process leaves a surface finish that is about the same as a piece of 220 grit sandpaper but it sands off very easily. The process we are employing uses a very fine powder that is layed down by the machine, in .003" layers, and then a binder is sprayed on it. When the model is finished it is removed and submerged in bath that saturates the entire model then the model is removed and alowed to harden.

After you "work over" the parts with sandpaper you can use the parts directly. Casting molds of the parts and producing resin parts is not necessary. When I spoke of making molds of the 1/8th scale car bodies I meant that we, at TDR, do that. We have to, to keep the costs down for people wanting to buy these bodies. The 1/8th scale car bodies have to be thick to be usable, because they are so big. I try to keep the bodies about .100" thick to make them durable enough to survive the 3D printing process and the handeling and such they will receive during the mold making process.

I understand what you mean when you say the rapid prototyping process is "wicked expensive" I have searched far and wide looking for the cheapest process possible and still produce a workable surface finish. The one we have employed is the cheapest, by far, that I have found to date. Finding this cheap method is the only reason we can even attempt to offer these parts to the end user.

Now, the pieces under the Jag body, in the pictures, are just sprues to support the body and keep things laser line straight during the manufacturing of the body. I plan on finishing out the body and then cutting them all out. This gives me a nice strong body to handle durng the finishing process. The spues do look like frame structure don't they.

Gary, you are correct about the monocoque frame of the D type. The driver portion of the car was all rivited aluminium panels and the front part was traditional frame work. The driver section of the car was a stressed skin monocoque. I am currently working up the monocoque interior body panels and front framework for the D type, as we speak, to be included in the 1/12th version I plan to build. This 1/18 version was just a test for the manufacure of the body. There are a lot of things that can go wrong in the making of one of these bodies so I prefer to take small steps at this stage.

Gary, the tires and wheels you had quoted, do you have the computer models of them? If you do and you would like me to give you a quote on them contact me through PM and we can talk.

jarrow
05-18-09, 10:45 AM
Thanks Gary. Yes, the process leaves a surface finish that is about the same as a piece of 220 grit sandpaper but it sands off very easily. The process we are employing uses a very fine powder that is layed down by the machine, in .003" layers, and then a binder is sprayed on it. When the model is finished it is removed and submerged in bath that saturates the entire model then the model is removed and alowed to harden.

After you "work over" the parts with sandpaper you can use the parts directly. Casting molds of the parts and producing resin parts is not necessary. When I spoke of making molds of the 1/8th scale car bodies I meant that we, at TDR, do that. We have to, to keep the costs down for people wanting to buy these bodies. The 1/8th scale car bodies have to be thick to be usable, because they are so big. I try to keep the bodies about .100" thick to make them durable enough to survive the 3D printing process and the handeling and such they will receive during the mold making process.

I understand what you mean when you say the rapid prototyping process is "wicked expensive" I have searched far and wide looking for the cheapest process possible and still produce a workable surface finish. The one we have employed is the cheapest, by far, that I have found to date. Finding this cheap method is the only reason we can even attempt to offer these parts to the end user.

Now, the pieces under the Jag body, in the pictures, are just sprues to support the body and keep things laser line straight during the manufacturing of the body. I plan on finishing out the body and then cutting them all out. This gives me a nice strong body to handle durng the finishing process. The spues do look like frame structure don't they.

Gary, you are correct about the monocoque frame of the D type. The driver portion of the car was all rivited aluminium panels and the front part was traditional frame work. The driver section of the car was a stressed skin monocoque. I am currently working up the monocoque interior body panels and front framework for the D type, as we speak, to be included in the 1/12th version I plan to build. This 1/18 version was just a test for the manufacure of the body. There are a lot of things that can go wrong in the making of one of these bodies so I prefer to take small steps at this stage.

Gary, the tires and wheels you had quoted, do you have the computer models of them? If you do and you would like me to give you a quote on them contact me through PM and we can talk.

This is very exciting. C and D types have always been my favorites. I was becoming more and more excited as I followed the XK engine development. I would seriously consider buying one if this project ever becomes available to purchase.

Jim Arrow
Webster, NY

Herman
05-18-09, 11:43 AM
Indeed I did not find a D-type in 1:!8, however, AutoArt makes one in 1:12.

They also have the Etype in 1:18, as well as the C-type....

Daytonatim
05-18-09, 07:14 PM
Yes, I really like the early Jags too. There was a day when Jaguar meant sports car and international racing............not mushy suspensions and extreem luxury.

This version, the simple body shell of the 1/18th scale version, can be taken to 1/12th and 1/16 as is today. To go to 8th scale will take a little work.

I am working up the interior panels for the D type and would like to make them up with the body. It is a double edged sword though because inorder to get into the inside of the drivers compartment, to finish the panels out, I have to split that section open. I would split the body along the horizontal outer body seam that runs along the middle of the sides of the car. This would be a highly visible seam that may take a lot of work to get it looking right. I might just be better to make the panels out of sheet styreen, atleast that way they would be glass smooth and ready for finishing.

I am just not sure which would be best. Any thoughts from anybody?

I could make up scaled plans of the panels. We could use these plans to cut out the parts directly from styreen........ just a thought

Daytonatim
05-19-09, 02:19 PM
Well, with the success of the D type body I am getting pumped about finishing the XK engine. Got a little more done, namely the head and valve covers. I still have some details to add to the valve covers but the hard part of the covers is done.

Here are a coupe of pics. As always, if anyone spots anything wrong please let me know.

46SuperDeluxe
05-19-09, 06:05 PM
Hey Daytonatim,

I image searched Google or Yahoo (I can't remember) for "Jaguar XK engine" and found several pictures of the 3.8 out of the car. Greasy-Good for reference. You're looking "spot on" as they say on the British "motoring" shows. I personally hate to have people pick at my work until it's done, I'm sure you were getting to this, but I did see a raised Jag logo on the side of the block just ahead of where the starter will be placed and a raised 3.8 Litre just forward of that. It also looked like some raised lettering on the side of the oil pan in the smooth area above the ribs. When I look at the picture looking down on the engine, this is probably an optical illusion of perspective, or just the curvature of my Coke bottle glasses but the cam covers don't look parallel to each other. I'm sorry, don't want to be a pain. The distance between them seems wider toward the front of the engine. All other views look great. I'm once again following along with great interest.(Awe!)1clap1 Are you going to do the cool Dunlop racing wheels and "Dunlop Racing" tyres with the cool tread?- Gary
((((((
))))))
((((((
))))))

Daytonatim
05-19-09, 08:00 PM
No Gary, you are not being a pain. I ask for input from you guys because it is better to have a 100 pair of eyes looking the parts over than it is to have just my tired eyes looking at the model.

I will add the text and logos at the end of the process. I have to take the computer models to another program to do the fancy lettering that is in the Jaguar logo.

The valve covers are parrallel, what you are seeing is just distrotion from the close camera angle I used in the modeling program.

Now, as far as the Dunlop wheels and tires go. I have the wheels modeled and printed out. I also have the spinners printed out too. I have included some pics below.

Now, the tires I printed out are just slick tires with no tread on them.

Did the D types have a special tread pattern to them?

If so, do you have any pictures of this pattern?

If I can get the information, I will model it into the tires so they will be right.

Well here are some pics of the other D type parts I worked up. The triangle thing is the padding for the head fairing.

xken
05-19-09, 08:10 PM
Here is a shot of the logo on the block.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/image_missing.jpg

Ken 1gramps1

xken
05-19-09, 09:34 PM

There are a few more in my albums under Jaguar engine.

Hope these help. Just FYI the colors on the heads represent compression ratios; blue 7:1, silver 8:1 and gold 9:1. Blue was used for markets where gas quality was poor; none were ever sold in the US.

Ken1gramps1

hot ford coupe
05-20-09, 12:45 AM
Now that's what I call great research pics. I'm really hankering to build one of these.

Daytonatim
05-20-09, 07:17 AM
Great shots Ken, thanks!!!

What year was your car?

I already notice one mistake. The seats for the valvecover bolts are recessed, not raised like I drew them. That is what I get for using the old 1/8th XKE kit for reference. I will fix it.

What is the thing with the two wires coming out of it, on the back end of the valvecover on the carb side of the engine? It it a tachometer pickup maybe?

I have seen some valvecovers that are finned with the edges of the fins being raw aluminium and the rest being painted black. Were these after market valvecovers or possible from a newer engine?

xken
05-20-09, 08:30 AM
Mine is a 1962, Series I OTS (open two seater) or in US terms a roadster. It was built on Jan. 10, 1962 well within the first year of production.

The recessed bolts: note on the early cars the radius on the cover was generously rounded as seen in the picture and prone to cracking when over tightened. The later cars had a tighter radius that resisted cracking better.

Yes that is the tach pickup.

The ribs were from later engines in an attempt to dress things up a little and increase cooling for the California market and hotter areas.

Check my albums for more pictures and if you need any detail shots just let me know and I will do the best I can to help. The basic block was good for all the six cylinder engines with the add on accessories changing and evolving.

Keep up the great work.

Ken1gramps1

Daytonatim
05-20-09, 01:58 PM
Are you going to do the cool Dunlop racing wheels and "Dunlop Racing" tyres with the cool tread?- Gary

I got a little time to work on that tire. I think it is fairly close.

Tim

46SuperDeluxe
05-20-09, 06:04 PM
Hey Daytonatim,
Once again "spot on." I think that these tires and those classic wheels are going to help make a "crack'in" D Jag model. Well done, well done- Gary

Daytonatim
06-09-09, 06:45 AM
Hey Guys:

I am having a hard time figuring out how the generator mounts to the engine block on the XK engine. I can see that it has a sliding adjustment arm on top and it looks like it has a pivioting rod toward the bottom on the block side of the generator. So I figure it must have some kind of bracket that bolts to the two bosses coming out of the block but I have not been able to find a picture of one anywhere.

does anyone know how the generator bolts up, or better yet do they have any pictures. The ole 1/8th jag kit just glues the generator right to the side of the block and I want to avoid this if I can.

Thanks Tim

ajwheels
06-09-09, 10:33 AM
Hi Tim..............not sure these help much............but hey, every little bit helps..........

An XK engine has always been on my list, and I have a folder full of pictures, but these are the only ones to show the generator mounted...........

xken seems up on this.........hopfully there's help there..............

Tony

Daytonatim
06-09-09, 12:03 PM
Hi Tim..............not sure these help much............but hey, every little bit helps..........

An XK engine has always been on my list, and I have a folder full of pictures, but these are the only ones to show the generator mounted...........

xken seems up on this.........hopfully there's help there..............

Tony

Thanks Tony, but I need to see the bracket that is on the opposite side of the generator in pic number 2 in your posting. I'll keep digging around though.

Hey Tony, you say you have been gathering info on the XK engine. You would not have come across a website that chronicaled some guys in England scratch building an "original" designed Jaguar D Type would you. They had a ton of pictures showing the fabrication of their D type and I had planned to use their pics as reference for my D type build..........but..........literaly 1 week before I started seriouse work on the design, their website was taken down!!!!! I contacted the person who ran the site but he said it got too expensive and that all the pics were lost!!! If you happened across this site sometime while researching the XK engine you wouldn't have saved any pics of the site would you?

ajwheels
06-09-09, 01:08 PM
Tim.........no, sorry, I didn't come across a site like that, and none of my pictures are D-type specific, except for a few engine compartment overhead shots...........

Tony

Herman
06-09-09, 04:31 PM
Try www.archive.org

I found quite some "lost" sites there. Unfortunately usually lot of material still goes missing...

Daytonatim
06-10-09, 08:35 AM
Try www.archive.org

I found quite some "lost" sites there. Unfortunately usually lot of material still goes missing...

Thanks a Million Herman

I found most of the pics at the site you mentioned.

I am going to post up a couple of them in the D Type posting along with a link to the archive site so others can see them. If you appriciate fine craftsmanship then you have to look at it.

Heck, here is the link if you want to see. Go into the (Oct 8 2007) listing and then start clicking on the archives selections, top to bottom.

Internet Archive Wayback Machine (http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.connaughtassociates.co.uk)

Daytonatim
07-02-09, 10:30 AM
Well I have made some more progress on the XK engine. Thanks to TDR's newest member I did not have to model up the Weber Carbs.

Just a few more odds and ends and a tranny and this one will be just about done. If anyone has any technical info (ie measurements) please feel free to post them up here in this thread. Research it the big time consumer in all these modeling projects.

Well here are a few pics to show the progress.

46SuperDeluxe
07-02-09, 10:51 AM
Oh now, those Webers are just Delicious!- Gary

xken
07-02-09, 01:07 PM
Let me know what demensions you need and I can get them right off my engine for you.

Also while the Webers look good, performance wise they never did actually match the performance of the original SU's in the XK engine. The mythical issue with the SU's was that people thought they were out of synch and started adjusting settings when in fact most of the time it was the fuel filter; not at the bowl but the fine wire mesh one at each carb that fouled. I am sure thousands of dollars were charged for unecessary carb tuning that was just a 2 minute job to clean the mesh filter and the culprit was usally water buildup at the mesh.

I would model up the SU's as well if you wish to market the engine to Jag folks. Or offer the kit with both options.

Ken1gramps1

46SuperDeluxe
07-02-09, 01:30 PM
Thats interesting about Webers vs SU's. I always thought Webers were the ultimate. They certainly look cool, and the down draft ones were good on the 289 Cobras. My son had twin SU's on a 140 Volvo and I could never figure them out. Now you are saying it was probably a dirty filter mesh? Thanks- Gary

Don Garrett
07-02-09, 02:50 PM
I agree Ken....the SU's are a must have as part of this package or an option, however the Weber's are going to come in very handy with the Hot Rod crowd. Thanks for your input.

ajwheels
07-02-09, 03:03 PM
Nice looking, Tim..............these are one of those engines you can just stare at all day long...........and I agree that the SUs should be made available.........but of course most of the race cars all used the Webers.....and you really can't beat the look................

Tony

Don Garrett
07-02-09, 03:29 PM
Okay gang, look the models over carefully...the TDR design team is doing everything it can to give you guys what YOU really want....if you see anything that you think these examples would benefit from, speak up. The staff is looking for your input to provide you with your wishes. Speed equipment and all those things can be added later......think I'll hop on eBay to see to if I can find a Jag kit that is within my hobby budget while we're in the summer slump. I'll stick it in the closet for a future project. This engine should build up much nicer than what's in the kit....the kit engine is a little weak on detail in my opinion.

Daytonatim
07-02-09, 03:41 PM
TDR plans on working up the stock carb system. Since Tony already had the Webers modeled, it was the fastest setup to get done.

I actually have a picture of a D type with a fuel injection system on it too. Did they run fuel injection back in the 50's on the D types?

Tim

Don Garrett
07-02-09, 04:04 PM
I may have been around when the Dead Sea was just starting to get sick but I was only 3 years old at the time. Got me on that one Tim.

Daytonatim
07-02-09, 04:24 PM
Let me know what demensions you need and I can get them right off my engine for you.

Ken, if you just had a picture or a hand sketch of how that generator mounts to the engine block, that would be great. I know it has to be some kind of pivioting setup and I would like to try and get it as close as I can to the proper setup.

hot ford coupe
07-02-09, 09:48 PM
Man, I wish I knew more about what parts went where. Unfortunately, I can't provide any input whatsoever.

Deuces-wild
07-03-09, 01:30 AM
I may have been around when the Dead Sea was just starting to get sick but I was only 3 years old at the time. Got me on that one Tim.
I'm sure fuel injection was around in the late '50's... Hilborn and Chevy had their units out by then. So did Pontiac.

46SuperDeluxe
07-03-09, 10:01 AM
I think they were using fuel injection on WWII fighter planes, weren't they? Stu Hilborn built his first setup after he came back from the war in the late 40's I think. I personally never saw any pictures of a D type with it, but it could certainly have happened privately or by the factory. -Gary

troppo
07-03-09, 10:10 AM
I think they were using fuel injection on WWII fighter planes, weren't they? Stu Hilborn built his first setup after he came back from the war in the late 40's I think. I personally never saw any pictures of a D type with it, but it could certainly have happened privately or by the factory. -Gary

Yep, the mesherschmidt (sp) had injection compared to the spitfires carbs so was better at high altitudes and in a dive

xken
07-03-09, 11:52 AM
mounting bracket detail right out of manual.

Here is where it is on the block. Lower forward - three holes in bracket go into holes on block.

Hope this helps!

Ken1gramps1

Daytonatim
07-03-09, 05:07 PM
That is just what I needed Ken. Thanks

Tim

Daytonatim
07-08-09, 09:47 AM
I am turning my attention to the 4 speed tranny for the XK engine and am finding out there have been quite a few that have been used.

As best as I can figure the attached pic are of the stock 4 speed offered in the early XKE. Am I right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

xken
07-08-09, 11:51 AM
That looks like the correct transmission for a Series 1. Try this link:

http://www.xks.com/jaguar/eType_catalog/index.aspx just highlight the section you wish and a pdf will open with drawings.

Ken1gramps1

Daytonatim
07-08-09, 02:34 PM
That looks like the correct transmission for a Series 1. Try this link:

XKs Unlimited ? E-Type Master Catalog, Vol. 16 (http://www.xks.com/jaguar/eType_catalog/index.aspx) just highlight the section you wish and a pdf will open with drawings.

Thanks Ken. It looks like there are lots of good pics in the catalog. I will pour over them tonight.

Tim

Daytonatim
08-24-09, 03:06 PM
Well guys, I just got the word that the first TDR XK Engine is printed up and will ship to me soon!!!!

I will post up some pics as soon as I get the parts in.

I just want to thank everyone that helped make this engine possible. The research material is very important. It is very easy to spend as much time digging up good pics as it does to model them into the computer.

Special thanks to Xken......... you are the XK man!!!!

Daytonatim
08-24-09, 05:25 PM
Just wanted to post up some pics of something I have been keeping up my sleeve.

This is the "check print" for a 1/12th scale version that is currently being printed up. I printed it out in 1/24th scale just to make sure everything was OK. I hope that a certain member of this site posts up some pics as soon as he gets the 12th version in the mail

I know, I know......the pictures are not of a large scale car.......but when it comes to rapid prototyping parts.....scale don't matter. All you have to do is type in some numbers on the computer and TaDa......you have 8th scale!!

Don just mentioned "movie cars" in another thread....... does anybody recognize this one? OK....the color is different....but other than that does anyone recognize it.

hot ford coupe
08-24-09, 07:23 PM
It looks a lot like Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds. It's either that or the Bullitt car.

Daytonatim
08-24-09, 09:26 PM
Steve never had a front airdam like that on his Stang

Yep....that is Miss Eleanor.

I stole some parts from a 69 Mustang kit for the wheels and floorpan.

I have been kind of wondering what the Miss "E" would look like with a stretched frontend and some wrinkle wall slicks tucked up under the rear.

If anyone is ever interested in this one, in any scale, just give me a yell.

fuzzy
08-24-09, 11:22 PM
Looks sweet and would be great in either 1/8 or 1/12.

robjos32
08-25-09, 07:07 AM
It would look awesome in 1/8th scale

Daytonatim
08-31-09, 08:18 AM
I got a little present from the RP man this weekend.........

He delivered the first TDR XK engine......along with a 9 inch rear.......and an 11 inch rear...... and some modified parts for the TDR 426.........and some experimental headers for the TDR 426

Looks like ******mas came in August this year!!! gringringringrin

Here are some pics to tickle your orbs

3.Star
08-31-09, 09:36 AM
Grabbed a Revell E-Type kit MISB yesterday on ebay. After following Mario's and Syd's current projects closely, I couldn't withstand the temptation... So I line up in the row of potential customers for a 1/8 th scale Jag engine made by TDR ,featuring the stock SU carbs
and the early series Moss crashbox tranny.

Regards

Michael

Daytonatim
08-31-09, 07:31 PM
Hey Michael:

The XK engine, as it is right now, has 3 Weber carbs on it. More of what you would see on a tuned version of the motor. I have plans on doing the stock carb setup in the future but the Webers are all it has for now.

If you buy it with the Weber setup you can build it and temporarily glue the intake in. Then once the stock setup comes out you can swap the intake/carbs out pretty easily.

Tim

jarrow
09-01-09, 08:44 AM
Hey Michael:

The XK engine, as it is right now, has 3 Weber carbs on it. More of what you would see on a tuned version of the motor. I have plans on doing the stock carb setup in the future but the Webers are all it has for now.

If you buy it with the Weber setup you can build it and temporarily glue the intake in. Then once the stock setup comes out you can swap the intake/carbs out pretty easily.

Tim

I think that the triple Webers are a nice touch. Are the XK engines available for sale?

Daytonatim
09-01-09, 03:07 PM
I am making some final tweaks to the model and it will be ready to order by next week.

Daytonatim
09-19-09, 10:09 AM
Hey everyone!!

I just wanted to let everyone know of the newest developement at TDR.

We finally have our own website!!!!

Please take a minute to visit our new store at:

TDR Innovations Home Page (http://www.tdrcatalog.com)

We have many new products listed and many more to come very soon. Our store is setup to accept PayPal, creditcards, money orders, and certified checks for your convenience.

Please remember that we are growing into this new website so there is still a lot of work to be done. Most of the text on the site is under developement, so if you have any questions please email us and ask.

hot ford coupe
09-19-09, 02:12 PM
Wow, that's fantastic. Congrats you guys. You did and are doing great. TDR will be a huge success.

3.Star
09-20-09, 05:33 AM
"ding-ding-dingeling"...just visited your new webstore and got myself the Jag-engine. There's a whole bunch of great "must have" things.1bigmoney1 Hope the business will run good for you guys. Congratulations!!

Cheers
Michael

Don Garrett
09-20-09, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the well wishes guys, TDR really appreciates your input & support.
Check the site from time to time as we have more engines, bodies & goodies on the way.

Michael, I'm hoping you are going to build your XK engine on the forum, it's squeaky new. You guys will be the first kids on the block to do a show and tell.

Daytonatim
09-20-09, 10:04 AM
Thanks Michael, you are our first website customer to purchase something!

Just to let you know, everything processed perfectly and your engine should be printed out and shipped by this coming Saturday!!

Like Don said, TDR hopes that you can do the buildup on the SMC site. Unlike all the big model companies, our assistance does not end after the sale. We are here to help after the sale too!!

Thanks again
Tim

3.Star
09-20-09, 01:10 PM
Thanks for information, Tim. The pictures of the engine are very promising, so I'm unpatiently waiting for the parts to come. I'll be spending the time on doing research and collecting the needed hardware. Will make this project a SMC thread....uuuuuh......stage fever!

Cheers

Michael

Don Garrett
09-20-09, 01:29 PM
Nothing to it buddy......the stage is yours......have fun and strut your stuff.

Daytonatim
09-20-09, 02:24 PM
Thanks for information, Tim. The pictures of the engine are very promising, so I'm unpatiently waiting for the parts to come. I'll be spending the time on doing research and collecting the needed hardware. Will make this project a SMC thread....uuuuuh......stage fever!

Cheers

Michael

Hey, that gives me an idea. I should start a picture gallary with all the research pictures I gathered in doing the 3D computer models and make them available to the builder. I could post a link to them in the product listing on our catalog entries.

This should give people a good leg up on gathering research info.

MAN!!!!.....is this computer stuff handy or what??!!

Tim

3.Star
09-20-09, 04:28 PM
Hi Tim,

the gallery idea sounds pretty cool to me. My research started with an appointment at my dentist's. He is not only handing me over his worn out instruments for free, as he got a '63 Jag E FHC as well. (think that a lot of it was paid by me for getting my "private dining-room" restored)gringrin Purchased a cd with 450 pics of Jag E restoration via GeorgiaJag Information for the XKE and other Jaguars (http://www.georgiajag.com) ,too. So, things are getting started.

Cheers

Michael

hot ford coupe
09-20-09, 06:39 PM
Hey Michael. Those dental instruments are the best especially when you reshape and sharpen them.

Rick
09-20-09, 09:38 PM
Hi Michael

Welcome to Scalemotorcars. We look forward to seeing your work.

The good folks at TDR would like to acknowledge you as our first web site customer. In appreciation of your support, we're pleased to offer you a 10% discount on your next TDR purchase.

Daytonatim
09-21-09, 01:06 PM
Here is a video I found on YouTube that shows how TDR's products are produced.

Just thought someone might like to see it........enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfUva9Y3BJY

sydeem
09-21-09, 01:50 PM
WOW - 5 hours to print the model they show. I am surprised we can get these models for what you are charging. We are very lucky to have TDR leading the way.

Daytonatim
09-24-09, 12:02 PM
Well, the TDR XK engine is ready to go. Just wanted to post up some pics.

I am also including some exploded images of the XK engine that can be used to aid in assembly

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Don Garrett
09-24-09, 01:59 PM
Tim, Rick......I've had a couple of guys ask if they can just purchase existing parts or some Weber's for custom builds? I've already told them that in 1/24th the surface texture would be a problem, but the larger scales would be large enough to make it practical......either of you care to elaborate.

xken
09-24-09, 02:35 PM
Need to add oil filter. In image below it is the long cylinder that sticks out to the left with the taper on the end with the nut.

Also for you to sell to the Jaguar crowd you need to do the original SU carbs. I was just recently at a Jag club function and was sharing this site and your work. Everyone got excited until I said you put Webers on it. Direct quote from one "Well that sucks, why in the h** did he do that. Tell him he has to do the SU's." Keep in mind some Jaguar owners line up the slots in the screw heads to match.

Frankly, what you may consider doing is a your choice package, that way the buyer can build it his way.

I will have to send you some images of a few details you overlooked as well such as dip stick, oil filter etc.

Looks great though, when will they be available to buy? I also need the SU package.gringrin

Ken 1gramps1

Daytonatim
09-24-09, 03:15 PM
Tim, Rick......I've had a couple of guys ask if they can just purchase existing parts or some Weber's for custom builds? I've already told them that in 1/24th the surface texture would be a problem, but the larger scales would be large enough to make it practical......either of you care to elaborate.

You hit that nail right on the head. If we did small parts, like the Webers, in 1/24th scale the detail will be lost. I would imagine you could kit bash some webers in 1/24th scale and have a much better product.

Now larger parts, like body parts, seats, tires, wheels.......you should have something to work with.

Daytonatim
09-24-09, 03:20 PM
Thanks Ken

The oil filter should be no problem

The dipstick.......that might be getting pretty small and better handled with styrene. But send me some detail pics and I will see what I can do.

The whole reason for the Weber setup was mostly a time issue. TDR already had models of the side draft Webers, so I went with them. The stock carbs will be done and they will plug right into the intake ports no problem. I just need to get some good pics of them.

xken
09-24-09, 04:14 PM
The lower central and right shapes are the bodies a left, center and right that the carbs bolt to.

Here the center and right carb are identical the left one is a mirror image of them. The fuel line attachment on the left one is to the left rather than to the front on the center and right one.

In this picture below the round shape at the end of the cam cover is the pickup for the tach.

Will check later at home for more.1thumbup1

Ken1gramps1

Daytonatim
10-14-09, 01:50 PM
Well, it has been a while since I have updated the progress of the "ever elusive" Big Al engine. Well, I have been working away and progress is being made. So I thought it was time to post up some new pics.

This engine is really going to have a lot of detail to bring out. I guess since it was designed for airborn use they were really concerned about the weight of the engine. So to minimize deformations around most bolts they used a lot of cast in bosses as you can see in the pics.

I am really going the extra mile to try and keep this engine as light as possible.......read that as inexpensive as possible since the more weight there is ......the more it costs to make. It will have extensive internal ribbing to keep up the strength though.

Well, enough talk...........

Don Garrett
10-14-09, 03:04 PM
Yeah it's been a long time coming Tim....but man, you must have a gazillion man hours in the art. Looks like it's in the home stretch, a good thing 'cause the anticipation drool is belly button deep out here in gotta have one land. Think I'll nominate it for a well deserved model of the month.

hot ford coupe
10-15-09, 12:11 AM
I'll second that nomination in a heartbeat. I've been waiting patiently for this one to come out. It's looking fantastic. Mine is going to be a fully detailed stand alone engine with the aircraft configuration.

kcvnd
10-15-09, 08:48 AM
Well I can't wait! I am definitely going to need a couple of those babies when they become available! Awesome stuff!!!!

fuzzy
10-18-09, 11:09 PM
Is anybody thinking of a 1/8 hydroplane or a P-40, P-39, P-63 or an A-36 Mustang or P-38 Lightning? That would set some people back on their heels !!!!!!!!!

Rick
10-19-09, 12:39 AM
Hey Fuzzy.........We at TDR are bringing you guys the engine, now lets see what you guys can build around it. All your suggestions are great, we can't wait to see what you guys build.

kcvnd
10-19-09, 12:46 AM
I will be building two 1/8th scale hydroplanes with this kit. The 1966 My Gypsy and the 2008 U3. The 2008 will be a turbo powered version.

Don Garrett
10-19-09, 10:54 AM
I'm thinking totally insane dragsters, front or rear engined.

Rick
10-19-09, 02:11 PM
Guys, go out an purchase the November 09 edition of "Hot Rod Deluxe" magazine. There's a great feature on "The Legend of Big Al" starting on page 46.

Please, someone has to build this model!

hot ford coupe
10-19-09, 11:47 PM
I'm gonna detail the you know what out of mine.

Daytonatim
10-20-09, 08:36 PM
Just wanted to share something new with y'all. I have been keeping this under wraps I guess. Kind of wanted to see how they turned out in real life. I was inspired by the M/T flame tread tires so I thought I would give modeling them a try. I thought they would really look cool on a fenderless car. Oh, it is hard to see, but I also modeled in the slight bulge and flatspot on the tire where it sets on the ground.

I have worked up 3 different tires in this 4 inch tall side wall height. I have an 8", 10" and 12". The tires have the same rim seat as the Deuce does. So I guess the rims should work, with the Deuce tires, though I am sure they will have to have the depth modified. I have not checked it out yet though, because I do not have either the Deuce tire or wheels to check them with.

The rim centers are made to slide in and out of the rim to allow you to set your own back spacing. I also have worked up some rims that have the center section hard mounted with the mounting face at the centerline of the rim.

Well, I have babbled on here long enough, here are some pics. Let me know what you think.

Don Garrett
10-20-09, 09:11 PM
What next Tim? Personalized tires? I can see it now....DAYTONA TIM on the side walls and a repeating TDR pattern for the tread......havin' fun yet? 1thumbup1gringrin

Daytonatim
10-22-09, 09:24 AM
Just wanted to drop an update on Big Al. Progress is continues and my plan is to have the first one off for prototyping by Nov 1!!

Daytonatim
10-29-09, 01:27 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted to post up some pictures of the FI TDR 426. We have had the kit available for a while now but we have not had any pics of a finished version.

I finished out the velocity stacks using the standard high build primer/wet sand method. Nothing fancy, just some high build primer I bought at Advance Auto, silver paint, and then some clear blue from Testors.

I did try something different on the the intake though. I sand blasted it. I used my old fiberglass resin spraygun to do it with. I just filled it with sand instead of resin. It knocked the edge off of the the laminations. If I had a blast cabinet I would have blasted it for a longer period of time. As it was I was digging enough sand out of my hair to start a beach, so I quit. Then I just shot it with highbuild primer and then silver. No sanding at all.

So here are some pics

sydeem
10-29-09, 02:31 PM
Nice looking anodized stacks. BTW what is the outside dimension across the bottom of the headers? Want to see if they can drop into the stock deuce frame. If they can I guess I will have to pay the price for a blown 426 with headers.

Daytonatim
10-29-09, 03:08 PM
They measure 2.7 inches inside edge to inside edge

and

2.828 inches outside edge to outside edge

and hangs below the oilpan about .25 inches.

Tim

hot ford coupe
10-29-09, 08:28 PM
No sanding at all?? That's an option I can live with. I wish I still had access to a sandblasting cabinet.

sydeem
10-29-09, 10:26 PM
They measure 2.7 inches inside edge to inside edge

and

2.828 inches outside edge to outside edge

and hangs below the oilpan about .25 inches.

Tim

That measurement fits the Deuce. I will be ordering a new Hemi with headers and blower.

Daytonatim
10-30-09, 09:16 AM
No sanding at all?? That's an option I can live with. I wish I still had access to a sandblasting cabinet.

I know Rick was experimenting with a rock tumbler. You know, one of those things you put rocks and they tumble in a can filled with sand. I don't know the final results.

Maybe if someone has one of these things they could contact me and I would send them some scrap parts and we could experiment some more.

hot ford coupe
10-30-09, 09:18 PM
Send them the delicate parts, Tim. Then you'll be able to tell if the rock tumbler tears the pieces apart. I'd hate to see somebody spend a lot of sheckles, put the pieces in the machine and come out with a handful of dust.

sydeem
10-30-09, 10:04 PM
Stop to think the purpose of a rock tumbler. It smooths the rock like river rock. I think it would smooth and polish everything including details, edges would go away, etc.????

Daytonatim
11-09-09, 07:02 PM
OK some people have been asking for some dimensions for the new Flame Tread tires we have in our TDRcatalog.com website.

Here are some quick numbers I worked up. I hope I answered all the questions?

flamefink
12-21-09, 08:39 PM
Has a Moon Tank been requested yet?

Daytonatim
12-21-09, 09:03 PM
LOL....I am not much of a hotrodder.......what is a moon tank?

Drop a picture here if you could.

Tim

flamefink
12-22-09, 01:12 AM
LOL....I am not much of a hotrodder.......what is a moon tank?

Drop a picture here if you could.

Tim

Its a small spun aluminum tank for fuel. They're seen a lot on the front of gassers, fuel altereds and front engine dragsters. They're still used today on race cars, and also for looks on a lot of nostalgia hot rods.

There was one in the Monogram Big Drag kit and also in the Drag Accessories parts pack. I believe these were the only two times Monogram ever issued it.

Here's a pic without the stands:

flamefink
12-22-09, 01:56 AM
I just had a brain fart LOL... It just came to me... "What better place for reference photos of a Moon Tank than the Moon website?!" LOL

Here's a quick link to the tanks page:
Specialty Equipment Manufacturer Mooneyes Online Store - Speed and Custom Parts, Accessories, and More (http://www.mooneyesusa.com/moon-tanks-c-188_128.html)

The first one on the list, the "Limited Edition" is actually a reproduction of the original. Its the real version of the one that was in the Monogram Big Drag kit.

hot ford coupe
12-22-09, 07:51 PM
Thanks flame. That's going to go a long way towards some good research.

Daytonatim
12-23-09, 07:28 AM
It sure will. There is a lot of good....."eye candy" stuff there. I wish they had more dimensions in their descriptions though. There is a lot of stuff in there that would really be some nice add ons to a stock model.

This might be a good area to expand into. Thanks Flame

Don, Rick, Tony, what do you guys think?

ajwheels
12-23-09, 12:12 PM
Those Moon tanks have been on my list for some time.............I had a post-it note stuck to my monitor with the dimensions for 3 different versions for the longest time so I could draw them up...........just never got to it...........would be a good accessory in a lot of places...............so much fun stuff, and I get pulled off onto other things so easily..........

Tony

fuzzy
12-23-09, 10:24 PM
OH look , a bunny !!!!!!!! We all get distracted so easily, cars, women,shiny objects etc.............

shadetree
12-29-09, 11:19 AM
Tim,
New to this large scale stuff if you don't count the old Revell motorcycles. So guess what I'm adding to the wish list H-D flathead 45" knucklehead, panhead, shovelhead, with the correct trans for each, old ironhead sportster, a proper springer front end. Maybe a kawasaki KZ engine. And a Triumph or BSA twins or triples. Some custom frames. Rims, hubs and tires (5x16) could go on but enough for now. If your gonna wish might as well wish for it all. Thanks for listening.
Keep up the great work.
Marc

Daytonatim
12-29-09, 03:15 PM
Hey Marc. My knowlege of HD motorcycles aint much.....and what there is, from the 1:1 world is not good. My Dad had one and it was a rolling example of all the classic complaints about HD's

BUT

Tony might have something up his sleeve in this department.

Chime in when you get the chance Tony

ajwheels
12-29-09, 06:00 PM
Sorry, but I don't really have anything up my sleeve.............it's out in the open, here:

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/digital-workbench/2833-hd-v-twin.html

My V-Twin is visually ok, but not real accurate to any real world engine..........I used details from a variety of later Harley motors, and the after-market units so common now...........

One of the attractions for me in the large scale stuff is the ability to get the details right, and work to a level not easily achieved in the smaller scales.............I don't really feel my V-twin is up to the task currently, but as time goes on, I may get around to a more accurate model............

Tony

docwatson1938
08-12-10, 07:41 AM
Has anyone got a good 3 view plan of the Ford 28/9 4 cylinder engine? I have been searching for a long time and can find nothing.
The other thing I need is plans for the Riley twin port head for these engines, failing that then I would do an ARDUN head if I could find, once again some good 3 views!!
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Doc.