PDA

View Full Version : alclad

Flathead V-60
01-25-06, 07:48 PM
Hi guys:
Does anyone out there have experience with alclad chrome? It's the age old question what to do when your chrome goes south or was poorly done from the factory. Also has anybody tried Chrome Tech USA for vacuum plating? Flathead V-60 aka John.

88Proof
01-25-06, 08:18 PM
:) :) I used Chrome Tech USA a couple years ago on a bunch of promo parts aand was very happy with his work. He lives in Madison Wisconsin about 55 minutes from me. I see him at the car and model shows. He does colored chrome too. You can strip your chrome and send it to him, or he tells you the size of wire rack to make and how, then silicone the parts to it. Turn around time was fast and the price I felt saved me lots of money over buying resin recasts. I know one of the large resin casters uses his services and the quality is very high on the resin too. There are things you can't chrome over and one might be body filler or super glue. The best thing to do is look up the website and contact them. Keith 88proof. :) :)

Flathead V-60
01-25-06, 09:42 PM
I appreciate the info regarding Chrome Tech. I'll give them a try. John

Willys41
01-26-06, 05:23 PM
I have used the alclad chrome with some go results and some not so good.
The first thing is you MUST use a BLACK base coat. I have played around with flat, satin and gloss base coats and found that the satin and gloss work the best. I have used Tamiya (I think thats how you spell it) and it works good and is less expensive than the alclad primers. You must air brush this on and the biggest trick seems to be air brushing on the alclad chrome in a very heavy coat with it running or drying to fast. AND THEN DO NOT GO BACK AND TRY A SECOND COAT, IF YOU DO IT WILL FLATTEN OUT AND LOSE THE CROME SHINE. I was tipped off to a pretty go crome in a spray can, KRAYLON CROME it is in a black can I believe its under the label of metalic finishes. look good but again use a black or royal blue base coat. Royal blue base will give it more of a SHOW CROME look.
Well thats all I can offer except "PRACTICE" " PRACTICE" on an old part first.

Willys41

Flathead V-60
01-26-06, 07:22 PM
I've used Krylon chrome, but never knew about the base coat. Thanks for the tip.
John

Don Garrett
01-26-06, 07:30 PM
Guys.....this is going to sound totally stupid, but if you blow (gently) warm air over the freshly painted parts (even testors silver or chome) it will shine mo better. :) :) :)

Deuces-wild
01-28-06, 05:09 AM
Guys.....this is going to sound totally stupid, but if you blow (gently) warm air over the freshly painted parts (even testors silver or chome) it will shine mo better. :) :) :)
How about a blow dryer on a low warm setting??. Guido :D

Don Garrett
01-28-06, 06:05 AM
You only need to do it for a few seconds while it's drying or just blow on it but don't eat crackers and try it. :D