PDA

View Full Version : Carronade

mouppe
04-04-08, 01:45 PM
Here is a little thing that I put together last night from an old kit I had lying around. It is a model of one of the two 68 pound carronades that are on the forecastle of HMS Victory, although it bears little resemblance to the real one.

I added a couple of things to make the original shoddy kit presentable and rigged it properly- the instructions are plain wrong. I need to add the side tackles to the gun carriage, but I first must scratchbuild the blocks. The quality of the walnut was garbage- dry, brittle and worse than plywood. The kit dates from the early 80s and I grabbed it off Ebay for 10 bucks for the hell of it. I do not know if Artesania Latina have improved since this kit was made, but I cannot recommend them judging by the inaccuracy of the instructions and the quality of the materials.

I just noticed that one of the cannonballs must have dropped off somewhere- I will replace it. Also, I am going to put a 1/30 painted figure of Admiral Collingwood next to the gun when it arrives from the toy shop. He took over from Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar after he was shot and oversaw the final stages of the battle.

I modified the kit to allow the carronade to move back and forth as well as side to side. I took a lot of artistic licence as you can see from the photo of the actual carronade!

Mouppe.

Rick
04-04-08, 02:57 PM
HEY!!!!!! Don't point that at me Mouppe!

You know what, takeing artistic licence with any kit is what makes us better builders. Looking fwd to following your build.

Don Garrett
04-04-08, 08:13 PM
Looks like a fun build all the same. 1thumbup1

harrypri
04-14-08, 11:55 AM
Now THERE'S something you don't see every day! 1thumbup1

mouppe
04-18-08, 10:54 AM
Admiral Collingwood, who took over from Nelson after he was wounded at the Battle of Trafalgar, surveys the scene...

I took the picture with a webcam- excuse the blurriness.

hot ford coupe
04-18-08, 11:00 AM
Can you imagine the whole ship done in that scale. That would be a cool model.