PDA

View Full Version : Dumas Chris Craft

Rick
02-29-08, 12:29 AM
Its been about 20 years since I've built a Dumas kit. Mine are all gone now so I can't remember what scale they were. I'm thinking that if the Chris Craft runabout is close to 8th, it might be fun to put a flathead in it and tow it behind a Phaeton. If anybody's built a Dumas Chris recently or if anyone has one of these kits, could you check it for scale please.

Thrillbilly Rich
02-29-08, 12:42 AM
Rick they are 1/8 scale. I had a cobra kit. I was going to build it and pull it behind Big Woody. But after I opened the box I realized I would never have enough hours right now to build it! Bummer! So I sold it. Killer looking boat!

slingshot
02-29-08, 03:10 AM
Dumas
http://www.dumasestore.com/

Chris Craft are 1/8
http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=47_54&osCsid=hq4nmud0di8tr8as81melkqu26

Don Garrett
02-29-08, 10:11 AM
Dumas makes a great kit, I've built a few and can say I was happy with them. However, if you are new to wood boat building you might want to start with a kit that is a little less complex, they take a considerable amount of patience and and hours of fine hand work to evolve into some of the examples you've seen pictures of.
Dumas isn't well known for wood quality but that would put them out of the price range of many modelers.
Overall...if you have the time, you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Rick
02-29-08, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys. I've built them before but not for over twenty years. Getting a good "steam" going for the planking is the trick if memory serves me right.

Don Garrett
02-29-08, 10:34 AM
Rick, that's the part that seems to be a major hurtle for most. Double hull construction on the tall ships is quite a challenge. Hand tied rigging can drive you up a wall as well.
Boat building is definately not for the glue it together and move on modelers.

ScaleMotorcars
02-29-08, 06:42 PM
Ive got a Dumas boat from the 50's I love those old wood boats and totally plan on doing one in the future. But not right now. 1no1 To much to do already.

hot ford coupe
02-29-08, 09:06 PM
That 1941 craft looks like the one in Indiana Jones' Last Crusade. That was a gorgeous boat.

mdlrk
02-29-08, 10:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250219193147

a built beauty on eBay.

Bob Cline
03-01-08, 07:12 AM
Dumas makes a great kit, I've built a few and can say I was happy with them. However, if you are new to wood boat building you might want to start with a kit that is a little less complex, they take a considerable amount of patience and and hours of fine hand work to evolve into some of the examples you've seen pictures of.
Dumas isn't well known for wood quality but that would put them out of the price range of many modelers.
Overall...if you have the time, you get a lot of bang for your buck.

If $2-400 doesn't buy good wood quality, what does?

Don Garrett
03-01-08, 09:00 AM
Bob, some of the more exotic, premium woods can run a kit price out of site.

hot ford coupe
03-01-08, 01:26 PM
That's definitely for sure. I've bought some of the premium woods for other projects before and for a large scale boat, combining the part cutting with the materials would send the kit price well over $400 bucks.

harrypri
05-30-08, 12:23 PM
I'm building a Dumas Chris Craft triple cockpit barrelback. It's a small version (1/24) of the same kit they sell in 1/8 scale.

My first double-planked hull kit. (Is that the correct phrase? I'm new to this boat building game!)

I figured I better start small and see how it goes. Maybe if all goes well I'll try the big scale version. But at over 3 feet long...where would I display it??? 1strange1

Don Garrett
05-30-08, 03:33 PM
Now you're talking....you have my attention.
Could this be the same Harrypri that said "no way" to tackling a double planked on bulkhead boat?
Dumas makes a pretty good kit.....lots of little brain teasers along the way. I can see a tall ship or whaler in your future. 1thumbup1