PDA

View Full Version : Let's go camping

Old Busted Hotness
01-12-08, 06:43 PM
Just another scratchbuilt project, sitting in the bed of a Tamiya Blackfoot body.

It's all styrene, with Lexan windows, and the curtains are made from toilet paper 1moon1

Lots of detailing to come. Corner jacks, water/power hookups, some weathering, maybe a bike rack on the front bumper. I'm having fun with this!

Thrillbilly Rich
01-12-08, 07:11 PM
Thats pretty cool! What scale is that truck? I think the had a big RC Toyota back in the day also?

hot ford coupe
01-12-08, 08:57 PM
Now that's what I call different. That looks great.

Old Busted Hotness
01-12-08, 11:10 PM
Rich, this one's 1/12 scale (although it's listed as 1/10 ). The Toyota's been sort-of re-issued. Slightly updated body with an all-new chassis. The Yota is about 1/8.5 scale (still listed as 1/10 ).

And yes, I've got one of those, too. I built a cap for the back to convert it to a Trekker.

Old Busted Hotness
01-13-08, 11:20 AM
Gotta have me some bottle gas...

Pink foam cylinder, styrene top & bottom. The cracked finish comes from shooting white primer before the epoxy had fully cured. I hoped it would work like that, and it did.

hot ford coupe
01-13-08, 01:51 PM
Phenomenal job on that gas bottle. We have to remember that technique. Any way you could show how to do that in a tutorial for us? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old Busted Hotness
01-13-08, 02:34 PM
The paint trick is pretty easy. Coat your part with 15-minute epoxy, and paint it 14 minutes later he1he It's not a sure-fire deal, though; the back side cured fully and came out nice and smooth.

Spent a little time on the water and power hook-ups, and an overall progress shot:

hot ford coupe
01-13-08, 02:40 PM
Thanks, looks great.

BrassBuilder
01-13-08, 07:15 PM
I love the scale 2x4s for the ac mount. so ghetto. LOL
Mike

Old Busted Hotness
01-18-08, 10:26 PM
While it looked pretty good on the outside, I figured I'd go all out and detail up the interior, too. Trying to keep the budget in mind, I only spent twelve bucks on additional materials today (most of that was the big sheet of balsa and more CA glue).

Total spent on the camper shell so far is around $40. I like that.

Went to the pile of pink-foam scraps and found one the right size for a countertop, and a bench seat. Carved out a grille for the AC, installed the paneling, and had a whole lot of fun today.

hot ford coupe
01-19-08, 12:19 AM
OBH, you crack me up with this build. I love it.

Old Busted Hotness
01-19-08, 11:06 PM
This is the difference between camping, and staying at a motel:

hot ford coupe
01-20-08, 02:04 AM
If it were me, I'd have made that like we did in the field in the Air Force. We dug a hole in the ground, made a frame out of some 2x4's or some thick branches, attached a toilet seat, put a curtain around it and away we went. We had the luxury suite.

Don Garrett
01-20-08, 06:24 AM
Yep, with those dual purpose curtains all you need is a scale dog eared copy of Street Rodder beside the bucket.

Old Busted Hotness
01-20-08, 11:09 AM
I'm gonna make a dunny roll and some reading material for the hopper soon.

HFC, a hole in the ground isn't very portable, is it? You gotta dig yourself a new one every time you move camp.

Made a fridge this morning (complete with contingency stickers), and let Campin' Bubba voice an opinion or two. He do like his stickers, but he don't like Chevys 1rolling1

hot ford coupe
01-20-08, 12:39 PM
That's right. Every time we moved the camp, we dug another trench. Welcome to the U.S.A.F.

Don Garrett
01-20-08, 03:18 PM
You're havin' a ball with this one aren't you OBH. 1thumbup1
Got the scale rifle rack for the rear window? 1rolling1

fuzzy
01-20-08, 05:24 PM
Where's the pouch of Redman chew?

Deuces-wild
01-20-08, 10:29 PM
I've always liked Skoal longcut. 1rolling1

Old Busted Hotness
01-24-08, 06:58 PM
Put a little wash on it to knock some of the new off. First I did the rust streaks with Tamiya red-brown, then washed it down with nasty water and sludge from the paint-brush cleaning pot.

Might dust it up a little with the airbrush, too.

Also made a dunny roll, down by the honey pot.

Should I leave the shoe up on the roof? he1he

Don Garrett
01-24-08, 08:52 PM
OBH, this build has had me grinnin' since you first posted....love it. Don't forget the suicide knob on the steering wheel and the head bobbing doll on the dash. Maybe sling a deer carcass across the hood?

Deuces-wild
01-25-08, 06:31 AM
How about a Satelite dish for the "tube"

Bob Cline
01-25-08, 06:39 AM
You should check out Ken Hamilton's 1/25 camper. This guy is unbelievable!

http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/open_road_camper/

hot ford coupe
01-25-08, 10:57 AM
Ken's definitely the Man. He's forgotten more about modelling than I'll ever know. I've got his book on how to make dioramas and it's an education in itself. It's auto modeling expanded out to incredible levels of detail we usually don't even think about. Buy the book if you find it. It's well worth the coin.

Bob Cline
01-25-08, 04:35 PM
I saw this thing up close at Birmingham a couple of years ago BEFORE he added a lot of detail and it was something even then.

Actually the show there is in early March. Might be worth a trip for some of us to get together. The Talledega NASCAR museum is right down the road.

Old Busted Hotness
01-25-08, 10:30 PM
OBH, this build has had me grinnin' since you first posted....love it. Don't forget the suicide knob on the steering wheel and the head bobbing doll on the dash. Maybe sling a deer carcass across the hood?

There's no interior in the truck, but I'll have to do something about that. The camper doesn't slide into the bed, as the bed has a hard tonneau molded in (battery, shocks, etc underneath). The camper is simply velcro'd to the top of the bed. So I can't do any cabinet work.

I've never tried my hand at a carved figure before, so I might as well start with a dead deer. That way if it turns out goofy, I can say ol' Bubba's been poaching cows or something.

How about a Satelite dish for the "tube"

Yew kiddin' me, boy? Ah ain't payin' no forty dollas a month. Hell, ah'm gonna put up some rabbit ears!

You should check out Ken Hamilton's 1/25 camper. This guy is unbelievable!

http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/open_road_camper/

Now that's redneck heaven! Lots of good ideas to steal there, too.

In the works: corner jacks, a spare tire on the grille, deer on the hood, Confederate flag in the front "upstairs" window, and more.

I added a few more details yesterday:

Deuces-wild
01-26-08, 01:34 AM
That's a 1red1 truck alright...... I see the #3 on the window. he1he

hemifarris
01-26-08, 08:49 AM
That's a 1red1 truck alright...... I see the #3 on the window. he1he

Nice job on your truck......To be correct with the Dale Earnhardt window decal you'll find that his #3 should be slanted toward the left at the top,just the opposite of what you have.. In other words when you look at the #3 ,the top should be to the left of the bottom.As they say, it's all about the (correct) details.......Mike

hot ford coupe
01-26-08, 12:38 PM
I'm thinking the original 1/8 scale owner of the truck just put up his sticker where it fell. I'll bet while he was putting it on, he messed it up and had to put it where it fell. Either that or he bought a bootleg #3.he1he

hemifarris
01-26-08, 05:54 PM
I'm thinking the original 1/8 scale owner of the truck just put up his sticker where it fell. I'll bet while he was putting it on, he messed it up and had to put it where it fell. Either that or he bought a bootleg #3.he1he

You missed my point. The #3 on the camper window is made wrong and not just placed where it fell. You cannot tilt the 3 counterclockwise and have it look correct. Google Dale Earnhardt , look at his number on all of his memorabilia and you'll understand what I mean.

Old Busted Hotness
01-27-08, 08:43 AM
Well, if anyone's got a 1/43 scale Earnhardt sticker sheet, or any proper 3 anywhere from 3/8 to 1/2 inch high, I'll gladly put a proper #3 on there. This is the closest I had (an old Autographics sticker sheet, numbers and letters).

Until then, I added a few more details. Spare tire (Big Deuce part again, worn down and badly cupped), corner jacks, and some more stickers (hope these are okay) 1rolling1

Also started carving a deer out of pink foam to tie down on the hood. It's harder than I thought...

Don Garrett
01-27-08, 09:14 AM
OBH.....I know Bubba and his brother Gator, they don't figure there's anything wrong with the 3 decal and the NRA sticker is proof that Bubba is on top of things.

I think I'm enjoying this build more than you are....what a hoot, very creative. You might consider using super sculpey clay to do the deer...might be easier than carving it.

Thrillbilly Rich
01-27-08, 10:13 AM
You outta put a BUNCH of buper stickers all over the back of the camper! Here in Mo. You will see trucks like this and they have crap all over the back! Loads of stuff from Branson. Like Baldknobers country theatre, Wall Drug, Silver dollar city etc. I'll look around and see if I can find some pics. that will work and you can shrink them and use if you wish. I'm lovin this thing!!!!!

Old Busted Hotness
01-27-08, 10:47 AM
OBH.....I know Bubba and his brother Gator, they don't figure there's anything wrong with the 3 decal and the NRA sticker is proof that Bubba is on top of things.

I think I'm enjoying this build more than you are....what a hoot, very creative. You might consider using super sculpey clay to do the deer...might be easier than carving it.

Probably would be, Don, but I've still got most of a 4x8 sheet of the pink stuff here he1he It's starting to look like a deer, but painting is hard for me as I'm color-blind to most browns. Afraid it'll end up looking like some sort of skinny cow. Gonna do the ears and rack with styrene.

Rich, see what you can find, I'll use 'em 1thumbup1

Don Garrett
01-27-08, 12:28 PM
Down to the nitty gritty final touches now OBH, just one last little detail.....no self respecting redneck would be without a CB radio and that goofy whip antenna.........there's a Gremlin (AMC) still on the road out here in the forest with one and I crack up every time I see it. Looks like a bumper car from the amusement park. He even has a rag stuffed in his gas filler opening....musta lost the cap and it ain't easy getting replacement parts for a classic. LOL

hot ford coupe
01-27-08, 12:41 PM
If I didn't know the scale, I would swear this build is real. This is great.

Old Busted Hotness
01-27-08, 02:59 PM
Good call, Don. I think I have some Airsoft BB's I can drill out and use as a tennis ball on it, too.

But for now, enjoy the state-of-the (1987) art entertainment system.

Here's a shot of the deer so far as well. The rack isn't that great, but I think it'll do. The only deer I bagged was 25 years ago, with a single-shot 1975 Monte Carlo.

Deuces-wild
01-27-08, 03:52 PM
AAHHH what a life! Now all ya need is a fifth of Jack Daniels and a case of Old Milwaukee beer around the campfire and you'll be stylin' 1thumbup1 he1he 1red1

mdlrk
01-27-08, 04:01 PM
No matter how you look at it...it is one great build. I have enjoyed reading about it and seeing it. You have done yourself and all modelers with a humorous side justice. Pat yourself on the back.....not everyone has the imagination or has received the pleasure you must have enjoyed doing this truck/camper/diarama/just plain cool replica....so, where's the hot wifey in a bikini?...or even better, sun bathing nude up on top!!!!!!!1clap1

Don Garrett
01-27-08, 06:42 PM
Sorry mdlrk....this is a family site, not gonna happen.

Old Busted Hotness
01-27-08, 06:55 PM
Deuces, look in the upstairs window on the driver's side. 3 cans of beer on the windowsill (I'm sure they're empty) and there's another on the table I just made, next to the TV.

I've got about a $200 order sitting at a dollhouse-supply shop (everything from whiskey to dogs), just waiting for me to pull the trigger, but I feel it would detract too much from the low-buck, did-it-all-myself aspect of the build. Plus, it's two hundred bucks, ya know?

hot ford coupe
01-27-08, 09:09 PM
What about an old case of Billy Beer in the window. That would be hysterical.

Old Busted Hotness
01-27-08, 09:15 PM
Ol' Bubba's gonna have to put a big-block in this thing if you guys keep the suggestions coming he1he

At least he got his deer today.

Don Garrett
01-28-08, 05:33 AM
he1he he1he he1he he1he he1he 1thumbup1 1thumbup1 1thumbup1 1rolling1

hot ford coupe
01-28-08, 11:33 AM
Man, is that cool or what. That deer is a fantastic touch. This is really coming out great. 1rolling1 1rolling1 1rolling1

Old Busted Hotness
01-30-08, 05:45 AM
Did somebody say moss?

Don Garrett
01-30-08, 04:45 PM
OBH........you've really outdone yourself this time, I'm running out of words to tell you how much I've enjoyed this build. When you add the bird crap to the roof I don't know if I'll be able to cope.
he1he he1he 1clap1 1clap1 1clap1 1clap1 1clap1 1thumbup1

hot ford coupe
01-30-08, 07:25 PM
How did we forget about the bird crap? Hey Busted, is that moss on the south side of the camper? This is a real riot and just keeps on getting better.

slingshot
01-30-08, 10:59 PM
I think I saw this parked at one of our neighbors when I was a kid! This is great! Maybe a squirrel climbing up the vine? Sure had enough of them growing up! How about Xs for the deers eyes?? he1he

Old Busted Hotness
02-01-08, 06:53 PM
Hang onto your hat, Don he1he

Bird crap, rust and java. Ain't that the life?

hot ford coupe
02-01-08, 09:40 PM
He actually got the bird poop in there. The lne shoe is a great touch. The cup tps it off. Is there anything else we need to put in there?

slingshot
02-01-08, 11:10 PM
Fishing poles?

hot ford coupe
02-02-08, 12:54 AM
That's right. Fishing poles, a bucket of bait. A few bottles of stink bait and something with a camo pattern. 1red1 1red1 1red1

Don Garrett
02-02-08, 04:48 AM
/~\ he1he 1rolling1 1rolling1 1rolling1

Bob Cline
02-02-08, 08:25 AM
OBH, You realize that once the word gets out, you'll be banned south of the Mason-Dixon line or northern Vermont. he1he

Willys41
02-02-08, 07:10 PM
OBH, I like every inch of the build till you got to the bird poop. To me it is to big would have to have come from flying elephants. The bird drops look like black yoke fried eggs. The rest is dead on and the coolest fun build I've seen in a long time. Willys41

Don Garrett
02-02-08, 08:24 PM
I'm going to side with Willys41 on the bird doo, it does appear a bit large and too defined.....this is really cracking me up, I haven't had this many grins over a model in years. Can you believe it? Grown men analyzing and detailing bird crap. I have a couple of large Amazon parrots but I'm afraid that if my wife caught me taking pictures of their cage droppings she'd have me committed.

Old Busted Hotness
02-03-08, 07:24 AM
I hear ya, guys. I dripped the white directly from the bottle (Parma Faskolor, similar to Createx) and that's what I got. Once the poo is out of the bottle there's no going back. Maybe Bubba hunts in a bald eagle sanctuary, I dunno. Maybe Jurassic Park.

I might be able to peel it off and re-poop it. Or paint some more silver on top. I do agree that it's less than perfect.

Took it outside for some pics yesterday:

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2008/02/10.jpg

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2008/02/11.jpg

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2008/02/12.jpg

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/images/imported/2008/02/13.jpg

Deuces-wild
02-03-08, 07:48 AM
Looks great OBH 1thumbup1. But lookin' at that white stuff on the ground sent a cold chill up my spine. I have enough of that crap here. BRRRR!

hot ford coupe
02-03-08, 12:25 PM
Oh yeah, that's spot on. 1rolling1 1rolling1 1rolling1

slingshot
02-03-08, 02:40 PM
The camper is looking awesome! Very realistic. Now the pickup truck looks a little too good for the camper! I was looking at the photos for a while trying to figure out what it needed and it seems like the pickup needs more rust along the sides (pickups and vans of that vintage were famous for rusting all over the sides, they always looked like they got hit with a shotgun blast of rust), could also use some dents, although I don’t know how easy it would be to put those in if it’s one of those clear plastic bodies? All in all, this is a great project and the most fun I’ve had watching a model in a long time.

Old Busted Hotness
02-03-08, 06:59 PM
I know it, I been catching all kinds of crap on the RC forums for having the truck too clean. But I like the fact that the camper mod is completely reversible. Other than one 1/8 hole in the grille and some Velcro on the bed, the body (hard plastic, by the way, it's an old Tamiya Blackfoot body, circa 1984) is unchanged. I made no changes to the base truck. So, if I choose, I can swap out the wheels, remove the spare and pop the camper off, and it goes back to being reasonably clean (except for a few scuffs).

Sort of a 2-in-1 deal.