PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathes

Deuces-wild
11-12-07, 12:35 PM
Mario had asked me to post a pic of the new mini lathe that I just bought from Harbor Freight. Since I can't post none of my own personal stuff... yet. 1sad1 I did find a site on the net that has some pics of it and lots of info to go along with it. Enjoy! 1thumbup1 www.mini-lathe.com

Rick
11-12-07, 02:27 PM
For those of you working with or thinking about buying a mini lathe, a must have book is "Tabletop Machining" by Joe Martin.

BrassBuilder
11-12-07, 02:35 PM
I have a mini-lathe that I have used for about two years now. If anyone has any questions, toss them my way and I will do what I can to get them answered.

I finally took mine apart a few months ago and readjusted everything. Wow. That made a difference. :) I am in the market for a larger lathe (a 11" or 12"), but I am going to keep the mini-lathe for small stuff.

Mike

Deuces-wild
11-12-07, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys. 1thumbup1 Man.... There's alot of great info on that site and I'm still not done going through it. I'll read some more when I get home from work in the morning.

Mario Lucchini
11-12-07, 06:02 PM
Mario had asked me to post a pic of the new mini lathe that I just bought from Harbor Freight. Since I can't post none of my own personal stuff... yet. 1sad1 I did find a site on the net that has some pics of it and lots of info to go along with it. Enjoy! 1thumbup1 www.mini-lathe.com

Great!
Thanks, Guido
mario

Mario Lucchini
11-12-07, 06:04 PM
For those of you working with or thinking about buying a mini lathe, a must have book is "Tabletop Machining" by Joe Martin.

Real good reading, Rick, if only Joe Martin could do a little less propaganda of his Sherline stuff...

Mario

hot ford coupe
11-12-07, 09:28 PM
If I can get ahold of some of the metal tool blanks, I could cut more metal. I've got the plastic down pretty good now. The metal work intrigues me.

Mario Lucchini
11-13-07, 06:16 AM
If I can get ahold of some of the metal tool blanks, I could cut more metal. I've got the plastic down pretty good now. The metal work intrigues me.

Hey Jeff!
Once you begin turning metal, you'll become an adict...specially when you get the metal polishing technique whilst the piece is turning!...watch your fingers, though, there are no spare for those...

Mario

Deuces-wild
11-13-07, 06:53 AM
Polishing metal on a lathe is easy. Would you believe I can polish a piece of cast iron round stock to a .05 micro??? I've have to do it and check it with a surface finish tester. I was able to see my ugly mug on that piece on iron. I also had to hold + er - .0002" on the diameter. 1sad1 Those parts I made were for Borg & Warner. My boss sez that job is coming in again... 1sad1

BrassBuilder
11-13-07, 09:49 AM
Real good reading, Rick, if only Joe Martin could do a little less propaganda of his Sherline stuff...

Mario

LOL....yeah....the book reads like a huge advertisement for Sherline.

Mike

Rick
11-13-07, 02:51 PM
I'm going to put on my Moderator's hat for a moment guys. I mentioned the book as a resource because I think it has some valuable information in it. We're not promotoing the author or his product here so please keep your personal feelings off site. Thanks.

Mario Lucchini
11-13-07, 04:06 PM
Aye, aye....sir, yes, sir!!!

Mario

Don Garrett
11-13-07, 07:19 PM
Don't ya just love it when the forum fuzz steps in and sez......"No, No, No". He's right and is a moderator for a reason.......to help keep this site enjoyable and fun for everyone. Those are the rules, No Dumping Allowed!

BrassBuilder
11-14-07, 11:55 AM
I humbly beg forgiveness after the fact oh great one. 1thumbup1

And I agree...it does have some good info in it. I am still glad I bought a copy.

Mike

Don Garrett
11-14-07, 08:14 PM
All this really points out is that the moderators are doing exactly what Dan and I expect them to do.....EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion, The point that Rick is trying to make is that we don't need to throw anyone in front of the bus. We are about scale models, sharing ideas and having fun. No apologies or hurt feelings are needed so if there's good info to be gathered from the publication, take advantage of it...and disregard the rest. I do believe I'd have said something like "lots of good info, but a bit too much advertising for my tastes". Nuff said? Can we move on now?

BrassBuilder
11-15-07, 12:27 AM
So...who all has a mini-lathe here? :)

I currently have the mini-lathe and mini-mill. My eventual plan is to buy a larger bench top mill RF45 or something to that effect would be good and a larger lathe with around a 11" or 12" swing. I want to get a Sherline lathe for the delicate work and eventually sell the mini-lathe. But who knows....I might keep it just to have it around. I also thought of getting a nice Jeweler lathe, but I think the Sherline will fill that duty.

I'll have to post pics of this stuff and my next metal project that I am working on. Might be another month or so though. I am leaving for a military school next week.

Mike

Merlin
11-15-07, 11:21 AM
I have a Shurline lathe and mill combo. I also have a 6" Atlas lathe for larger items. I had a full machine shop at my disposal before the plant closed, now I do all of my projects out of my home. My buddy owns a machine shop and said if I need to do any thing big we could, "work something out".

Deuces-wild
11-15-07, 02:00 PM
My uncle (who's only about 13 months older than I am) has an old 6" Atlas lathe that he wanted to sell me. This one looks like it was built in 1947. I had to pass on that one. It looked and sounded like a death trap. 1worry1

BrassBuilder
11-16-07, 01:58 PM
I passed on an 11" Atlas a few weeks ago at an auction. There was a LOT of wear in the ways. I would have guessed 5 thou or maybe a little more even. It sold for $400 with no tooling. Somedays when I am turning a part on the mini-lathe, I wonder if I should have bought it....
Mike

Firecaptain
04-03-08, 11:28 PM
Hey can we revive this thread to a tutorial and have some of you experts go over some basics like turning a piece down, cutting your work off the stock, boring and treading internally and externally?

That's a lot, I know but it might be a good start unless someone has any different suggestions.

Thanks

hot ford coupe
04-04-08, 12:30 AM
I think that's a good idea. I use a wood lathe which works a bit differently than a metal lathe. One thing I'd like to know about is how to clean up a metal lathe after a day of part making. My lathe is easy to clean up with a vacuum cleaner but with a metal lathe, you have oil mixed in with the shavings and dust. Also, metal dust can cause a lot more damage to the lathe than does styrene debris, i.e. more chance the lathe can begin to wobble.

Firecaptain
04-04-08, 10:13 AM
I was thinking of "playing" with some acrylic rod, and turning them.
The internal boring and threading would allow me to "see" what's going on.

I would like to be able to make my own hex bolts, but that requires a milling attachment right?

Thanks

Mario Lucchini
04-04-08, 11:35 AM
I was thinking of "playing" with some acrylic rod, and turning them.
The internal boring and threading would allow me to "see" what's going on.

I would like to be able to make my own hex bolts, but that requires a milling attachment right?

Thanks

Hey Joe!
Go to Tutorials-General, then to Tools & Accesories 2.....There is a sequence for making scale bolts out of hex brass bar....no use of milling....gringrin

Mario

Firecaptain
04-04-08, 10:58 PM
Mario,
Thanks for the thread on bolt making.
Where do you get your metric taps, dies, cutting tools, etc?

Thanks

Mario Lucchini
04-05-08, 10:37 AM
Mario,
Thanks for the thread on bolt making.
Where do you get your metric taps, dies, cutting tools, etc?

Thanks

HFC got the correct answer....he gets some cookies for that, or the permission to eat 2 brown crayons, hee, hee.....he1he

Mario

Mario Lucchini
04-05-08, 10:52 AM
Hey can we revive this thread to a tutorial and have some of you experts go over some basics like turning a piece down, cutting your work off the stock, boring and treading internally and externally?

That's a lot, I know but it might be a good start unless someone has any different suggestions.

Thanks

Hey firecaptain, I'll do some lathe work and take pics of it when I start doing the Jenny build.
I will not stop the Citroen build which will give more lathe stuff too...
BTW, look at my previous postings of the Citroen build, there's some lathe stuff there too...
I strongly suggest you buying the book of D.J. Laidlaw-Dickson "The Book of the Unimat", a must for small lathe begginers....though it's over the Unimat lathes, everything in it will be useful for your TOYO, your lathe is as a Unimat clone I've seen....1gramps1
I attach a pic of the Unimat 3 with the complete accesories range as per factory, for you to drool a bit....this was the year of 1975....
Regards

Mario