PDA

View Full Version : Autograph F40 build progress

davidgovett
08-19-10, 12:16 AM
I'm enjoying this kit (Autograph transkit & Pocher F40)
Here is a link to some engine pictures. I'm trying to balance between realism and interesting colors. I choose carefully which parts to keep natural metal colors vs painting and trying to use contrasting colors and color variety. For example, most tubi exhausts (real and models) are a dull grey all over. However, I have seen a couple reference photos of more chrome colors. So, I sprayed the tank with chrome engine paint, touched up the pipes and left everything else the natural photo etched brass & steel colors. I also went for the bluing effect on the exhaust. Also, on the front of the engine, one of the belt pulley colors turned out kind of metalic burnt orange. I like it though as it adds just a touch of color. I plan to paint the brake calipers a bright red or yellow. I'm having excellent luck using actual automotive paints throughout. They look cool, spray well and are very forgiving. I highly recommend black roll bar paint for allot of the framing and gas tanks etc. It goes on like a smooth glassy powder coat. Enjoy.

Cheers
Dave
FerrariF40-Engine pictures by davidgovett - Photobucket (http://s988.photobucket.com/albums/af10/davidgovett/FerrariF40-Engine/)

Herman
08-19-10, 08:51 AM
Have you seen the pictures that member "Ton" made of his built? I guess he will post a reaction soon, I know he is reading. Also, if you run into a challenge (I do not like the word "problem") then post it here, and I am sure he will help tackling the challenge. He is one of the nicest modellers I know.

Anyhow, your build looks very good. Keep up the good work!

RonOC
08-19-10, 09:28 AM
Nice work Dave!

Keep the photos coming.

Ron

davidgovett
08-19-10, 02:02 PM
Oh yeah, I'm familiar with Ton's work and he has already helped me on one of the steps of the project. In fact, I'm using his pictures for reference throughout. Thanks
Dave

Brizio
08-19-10, 09:19 PM
Looks good!!! Looking forward! :)

davidgovett
08-20-10, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the nice feedback. I will add more shortly once I figure my way around photo bucket some more. I'll put up some of the shocks and the 4 point seat belts. (I added some contrast hand stitching to those) And the made from scratch lexan racing windows as well.
I also added some descriptions and comments on several of the engine photos referenced here. It's an amazing and well made transkit though the documentation leaves you hanging somewhat.

Cheers
Dave

Dr Dave
08-29-10, 05:55 AM
G'day Dave. That's a good looking engine you've got there. I'm not really a car person myself, (I'm into bikes and trucks) but I sure do like the work I see here, and I like all the nuts & bolts. Keep it up mate, and I look forward to seeing more.
Dr Dave.

Ton
08-29-10, 07:01 AM
Hi Dave,

Great progress on the engine! For me it was the nicest part to build. Do you know this reference?

Ferrari F40 | Powered by Bosch Service Andres Salzgitter Ferrari - Sportwagen (F40/F50) repariert gŁnstig Bosch - Service Andres. Ob Testarossa aus Maranello, Oldtimer oder Maserati (http://www.ferrarif40.de/index.php?id=ferraridiashow)

Ton

davidgovett
08-29-10, 04:34 PM
Good reference link. I there any way to get the pictures larger I wonder?

Anyway, thanks for all the pictures of your work. I have used them throughout the build so far.

Question for you. Where did you get your supplemental diagrams for the wiring? Can I get a copy or information on where and how to acquire some. I'm wondering if there is a "chilton" type manual for the f40 somewhere. Also, I notice lots of parts in the wiring that are not included in the transkit. I'm wondering where they come from. The kit really leaves you hanging on the wiring. "Wire engine according to diagrams and photos" is the full extent of their instructions which really sucks. I can't see any of it on any pictures or figure anything out from their diagrams. Everything else is coming along though.

Thanks
Dave

davidgovett
08-29-10, 05:10 PM
A few new (kind of hazy) photos that show more of the braided hoses and completion of the exhaust system. I also included pictures of the carrying case I have for the engine.

FerrariF40-Engine pictures by davidgovett - Photobucket (http://s988.photobucket.com/albums/af10/davidgovett/FerrariF40-Engine/)

Here are the seat belts. The kit instructs you to use double sided tape on the belt connections. No way! That won't hold up. I used a strong 3M spray glue and then stitched it with contrasting yellow thread for stability and a cool (though not authentic) look. I like to use as much contrasting color to enhance details as I can even if not perfectly accurate.

Seat Belts pictures by davidgovett - Photobucket (http://s988.photobucket.com/albums/af10/davidgovett/Seat%20Belts/)

Two more steps on the engine left.
Dave

Ton
08-30-10, 03:29 PM
Good reference link. I there any way to get the pictures larger I wonder?

Anyway, thanks for all the pictures of your work. I have used them throughout the build so far.

glad you like all the reference. I used the video myself the guy made of the restoration.

Question for you. Where did you get your supplemental diagrams for the wiring? Can I get a copy or information on where and how to acquire some.

I have an owner manual and a workshop manual as reference but the attach diagram shows almost verything

I'm wondering if there is a "chilton" type manual for the f40 somewhere.

And I wonder what that will be gringrin

Also, I notice lots of parts in the wiring that are not included in the transkit. I'm wondering where they come from. The kit really leaves you hanging on the wiring. "Wire engine according to diagrams and photos" is the full extent of their instructions which really sucks. I can't see any of it on any pictures or figure anything out from their diagrams. Everything else is coming along though.

I scratched several parts myself but you can find a lot here

Ferrari Parts, Ferrari Accessories, and Ferrari Performance Products - Ricambi America, Inc. (http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&V=model&I=10)

Ton

davidgovett
08-30-10, 04:18 PM
Perfect! Thanks. I also downloaded the technical manual. Can't seem to find a workshop manual that is not $700.00 or so. But your links should help allot.
Dave

RonOC
08-30-10, 06:08 PM
If one were to search for "F40 manual" on eBay, one might find some CD's.

I have no connection to any of these folks.

Ron

David Cowin
01-15-11, 07:07 AM
I've just bought on e-bay a collection of parts for the Pocher F40, so the link to the on-line parts catalogue is very useful. Does anyone know which version Pocher modelled, eg catalytic vs non-catalytic, USA vs non-USA?

3.Star
01-15-11, 07:59 AM
Hello David,
the Pocher is replicating the F 40 without catalytic converters, which came first in 1990/1991 years change, due to the needs of the American market, together with minor changes of the front spoiler a.s.o. Think you can leave them converters away, your F 40 won't do any harm to nature anyway.

Cheers
Michael

David Cowin
01-24-11, 09:00 AM
While the Ricambi website (and a British counterpart) provides exploded parts diagrams and parts lists, I found over the weekend that I had downloaded a year or so ago the F40 Owner's Technical Manual (120pp) from www.ferrarichat.com. You need to register and the download is then free. Similar manuals are there for 288 GTO, F50, F60 etc.

The files are too big to upload here.