Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Dan has given me full reign to promote a couple of simple events so here we go with the first one.

The "SMC Scratchbuilders Fantasy" will happen during the weekend of April 18th and 19th. This will be an opportunity for all you scratchbuilders to show what you can do or what you've already done. Some of you are already creating scratchbuilt parts and some of you have recently purchased a lathe. About a year ago Jeff started a couple of interesting projects and he's promised to get them back to the bench so this could be an interesting event. The rules are simple:

**Members only.
    **Large scale (12th, 8th, 6th) only.
    **Entrys must be totally scratch built SMC Scratchbuilders Fantasy Weekend . No modified kit parts. Scratchbuilt parts to add to a manufactured part (i.e. scratchbuilt injection for a production flathead) are allowed.
    **Any tool, diorama, automobile, motorcycle, airplane, boat or part thereof is eligible.
    **There will be no awards.

To add to the excitement, we're going to throw in a little contest. TDR SMC Scratchbuilders Fantasy Weekend has a project that needs an 8th scale surfboard. So, the member that creates the best 8th scale surfboard will recieve a $50 cash prize and TDR SMC Scratchbuilders Fantasy Weekend gets the surfboard for future production.

As we approach the event, I'll post a reminder. In the meantime, get to work.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I'm curious, how many of our members are interested in participating in this event, and how many are going to build a surfboard?
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Perfect timing!!!!!

I have a project that I am just starting. So count me in!!

I think I will pass on the surfboard though.

Tim
    Last edited by Daytonatim; 01-15-09 at 03:12 PM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'll pass on the surfboard but I'll try to do something completely different.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    I'm thinking about giving the surfboard a try. I think it would be a nice simple project to get me going again.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Surprises are good so lets not divulge what we're scratchbuilding. Just let me know if you are in............

In order to make the surfboard competition fair, we need a minimum of three entry's. Keep in mind it has to be in 8th scale and suitable for casting SMC Scratchbuilders Fantasy Weekend purposes.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. miked.'s Avatar Active Member
    Count me in, but no surf board here.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    The surfboard contest is meant to give you folks that want to try your hand at scratch building a chance at an easy project and pick up 50 bucks if yours wins.
    It can be an old school long board or one of those newer spiffy ones...it can be carved from hardwood, shaped from plastic or clay and hardened, just needs to be rigid enough to cast in resin SMC Scratchbuilders Fantasy Weekend .
    If you include rudders or a fin leave it separate to ease casting SMC Scratchbuilders Fantasy Weekend hassles. You can glue it on with white glue or contact cement for pics.

Finish.... primer SMC Scratchbuilders Fantasy Weekend is fine...we'll take care of the rest. Rick and I will choose the winner, you will receive full credit for the master and $50. At that point it will become the property of TDR SMC Scratchbuilders Fantasy Weekend , you will also receive a couple of cast boards for your own use.

Members only are eligible to win the money...that includes moderators (you too Dan) but not the partners in TDR SMC Scratchbuilders Fantasy Weekend .

Guys, we really can't make it any easier to get your work cast, if you'd like to give it a try. Rick said...at least 3 entries, I would hope for more than that...if not, this chance to have a bit of fun and make a few bucks will just go away. So get up off the couch and participate...ball is in your court gang. Besides if there are only a few entries your chances of winning are that much greater.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. Willys41's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    I will give the surf board a go. Can you tell me what time period the board should be from as they have change in size and shape over the years.
    An Artist dips his brush into his soul before every stroke.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    You rock man, I googled surfboard designs/specifications this morning. Long-boards, short-boards, fish, new designs, single fin up to 5 fins are available. What era? That's easy....whatever suits ya is fine with us. I'm stuck in the old school long-board era....some of those are over 10 foot long and 30 some inches wide. The newer ones however are sure good lookin' and closer to 5 foot long. The one we select won't be controlled by type or era, that's totally up to you, any design as long as it's 1/8th scale.

Are you considering sharpening up the ol' pocket knife and whittlin' one? That would be sweet.

Here's a link that stuck in my mind.......plenty of info available, have fun and good luck.
    Surfboard Accessories - Surfboard Buyers Guide
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Kowabunga, Moon Doggie. That looks like a cool board. Hey Dave, if you can carve those ducks like you do, a wooden board should be a breeze.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    You surf board builders have been pretty quite.....do we still have a few of you working on a entry for the surf board?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    You surf board builders have been pretty quite.....do we still have a few of you working on a entry for the surf board?
    I'm still in. I'm learning more about surfboard design than I ever thought possible. There's a lot of little nuances to the shape that I didn't know about. I'm actually thinking about doing one 12' longboard and one shorter one maybe about 6 feet. I'm working on the longboard first though. I want to make sure I get that one done.
    Cowabunga dudes.:)'
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Keep in mind that this event is not just for the wave board crowd. We wanna see what you're scratching (keep it clean please). It can be automotive, marine, aircraft, diorama's, pixel twisting, artwork, model makeing tools or whatever.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15