Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    A few hints have escaped from our mouths so we're going to make an announcement now.

During the weekend of November 8th and 9th, 2008, Scalemotorcars.com will host a "Pocher Concours" event. We are still finalizing the format, but here's where we are at so far.

**This will be a PHOTO's ONLY event, you do not need to submit your model. Participants may submit a maximum of six photos plus a description of their Pocher model.

**All photos (of finished cars) must be taken outside as would be the case for a typical Concours event.

**Participants who are not members of Scalemotorcars.com may submit their photos to Rick at <rick21142@shaw.ca> or to Joe at <firecaptain1@comcast.net>. We will enter your photos for you on the evening prior to the event.

**Models can be box stock Scalemotorcars Pocher Concours or modified. Unfinished models are welcome and their photo's should be taken "In The Shop".

**The event is open to anyone from any country, including members of this site, members of other sites and the general public.
    PLEASE NOTE: it is not the intent of Scalemotorcars.com or the Organizers, to use this Event as a means to solicit membership to this site before, during or after the event.

**There is no entry fee and there will be no judgeing. There will be a Peoples Choice award and each Pocher entry will recieve a Participant ribbon. Draw prizes will be awarded during the event.

We are in discussion with the Pocher aftermarket in regards to advertising the event and sponsorship by way of draw prizes. Discussion has been positive and announcements will be made as we approach the event.

Because the Pocher market is limited, we are asking that our members and our friends who read this announcement help us to promote the event. Our intent is to make it fun and keep it simple. Any questions, comments or suggestions can be forwarded to Rick or Joe at the above E's.

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN.
    Last edited by Rick; 04-25-08 at 03:10 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Photo question: you don't mean literally "on the grass", do you???

Kinda hard to get a nice angle that way...unless you dig yourself a foxhole first...
    "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I've changed it to "outside" Harry. We'd like the photo's to look realistic and be without clutter.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    How about "Your model should be shot against a plain backdrop, dark for light colored models and light for dark colored ones. No diorama-type photos, no distracting backgrounds or additional objects in the photo. We just want to see your model! Also, please be sure to submit only photos that are correctly exposed, nicely lit and IN FOCUS!!! We can't see the quality of your model from poor photos. Digital film is cheap... practice makes perfect."

or something along those lines...

Maybe post a "sample" photo of what we're looking for. Something to "shoot" for, so to speak (har har!!!)
    "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Harry, Rick.....I think what you are both looking for here is to take a bit of time and and do the best you can with the pictures. Guys you could put a piece of (flat) black card board on a stool and shoot it outside with a road and scenery as a back drop. Okay, that's all well and good and for some....cool beans.....others, heck it might be raining that day.
    I think the important thing here to remember is make sure you pictures are well lit with an uncluttered background. Prop your camera even if you hand hold it a lean against something.
    Rick is trying to instill that realistic "look" and Harry is saying it's the model that's important....they are both right.
    Let's just try to do the best we can and call it a day?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    There's a thread I think in the tutorial section where Stevie put a tut on how to get great pictures. I think what's being said here is the photo needs to be composed and look good. Cars should not be photographed on workbenches or desks with a lot of clutter and debris all over the place. That can make even a Wingrove model look like crap. Harry is right when he says the model should be the focus of the pic. Even in a well composed pic outside, the model can still be the focus. Go to the gallery and check out some of Stevie's photos of the Volcano Deuce. It really shows what can be done outside. Check out Harry's gallery to see how he photographed the model. That too can be a great pic. The more real, the better.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. Firecaptain's Avatar Active Member
    These issues were looked at in the initial planning discussions for this event.
    This is the 1st annual of hopefully many more.
    Hopefully it will be a success and we will learn from and expand upon any future events.

One suggestion........if you live near a golf course, putting green, or miniature golf course, shoot it there. With a tight focus on the car, the background shouldn't be a real issue.

We wanted to have the air of an outdoor event.....ala Pebble Beach.
    Joe
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Guys, Steve did a tut on taking pics. Some of that is covered Here Theres also a much better one from way back when SMC started but I couldn't find it. Maybe we could get Steve to rehash it.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecaptain View Post
    One suggestion........if you live near a golf course, putting green, or miniature golf course, shoot it there. With a tight focus on the car, the background shouldn't be a real issue.

We wanted to have the air of an outdoor event.....ala Pebble Beach.
    Hey, I bet that would draw a few interested bystanders! And the putting green grass would be more "in scale" to the model. Interesting idea...
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    OK, OK, you have got me now.

I am in...

I will exhibit a Bugatti type 50T, built standard oob Scalemotorcars Pocher Concours , but with wooden dash and steering wheel, and leather interior. (the vinyl stuff Pocher supplies is real crap...)

About your fascination for grass: We have plenty in The Netherlands.... (sick)
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I can't wait to see that model, Herman. BTW, congrats on the new house.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Paul Koo's Avatar Member
    The trick to making your model look full size in photos is to have it off the ground, on top of a concrete table or bench, with everything in the background some distance away. This way, everything in the background will appear smaller, thus making your model look bigger. The surface of the table must be smooth and look like ground. It is how this photo was taken:

http://www.members.aol.com/pjekoo/Bu...ishedphoto.jpg

Do not have anything near the model that will give away its size. For example, if there is a hand bag next to the model, the size of the bag in comparison, will reveal the true size of your model. Also for example, if you just put your model on grass, the size of the grass blades in comparison will make your model look like a miniature. Notice the above photo was taken on a grassy background, but the grass blades look small compared to the model, because the grass is some distance away.

Take a close up photo. Let your model fill up the entire field of view so it looks “big”. Try to take the photo from the same “height” as if you were looking at a real car. Take photos on a clear sunny day. The sun should be behind you. I try to look for clean concrete tables in parks with very few people around. Give it a try.

Paul.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Paul, thanks so much for showing us how you do that. I have one question. I use a SONY digital 8 magapixel camera. What kind of settings should I use so I get both the background and the model in good focus. My problem has been that the model comes out sharp and the background looks terrible. If the background is clear, the model is all fuzzy. Thanks in advance.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. Paul Koo's Avatar Member
    Since each camera is different, I would experiment with all available settings to see their effect. If you are taking an extreme close up, then you should turn on the “Macro” function of your camera. Unsteady hand is another problem. It is the main cause of blurry photos. Try to hold your camera very still, or use a mini tripod.

To answer your question above, since the model is the subject, the model itself should be in focus. A slightly fuzzy background sometimes actually makes your model look more real. Thanks to digital cameras, you can just snap away until your memory card is full, and then delete all the bad ones. With some luck, you’re sure to find some good shots. Here is shot of a K73 Alfa taken on the edge of a concrete table that is about 3 feet off the ground. The distant background makes the model appear larger than it is.

http://www.members.aol.com/pjekoo/Alfamaroon.jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Paul,

I just bought your Rolls CDs in addition to the Mercedes and Alfa CDs that I already have! I need it specifically for the parts photos as I have knowingly bought an incomplete kit but the seller has several boxes of parts and we are going to find the missing pieces.

Thanks
    Mouppe.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15