Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Wow, this is great stuff so far! After nearly 4 long years, it looks like I'll finally be getting out of my apartment and into a house in the next few months, so I'll finally have some space to build in. I'm going to try to get some more work done on my Testarossa motor once we get settled in to the new place, and hopefully I can enter it into the show towards the end.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #16

2. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    And I forgot building the early unblown TDR First Annual SMC Engine Building Show Hemi 426 engine. Building these out of the box with a few wires and details is very satisfying and prepares you for scratch building as you invent details.

Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

3. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Gee - I forgot I did try my hand at scratch building way back when - here is my attempt at a stock 1932 Flathead.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    BOX STOCK First Annual SMC Engine Building Show ....Lindberg 1/12th scale big block Mopar.
    Just paint and a few wires........

Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

5. comp1839's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    david
    this is AWESOME!!!!!!!! keep 'em coming!!!!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

6. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Wow, I'm glad this is a show !! The competition is really STIFF with the entries just posted.
    At our age, the competition is the ONLY thing that's stiff.
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Dang it. I knew I should have rephrased that.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

8. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    My Revell First Annual SMC Engine Building Show 1:6 426 Hemi. Metal & plastic. Bolts replaced with brass.
    Other that that - box stock First Annual SMC Engine Building Show , with some detailing.

Last edited by Tage; 03-29-11 at 04:23 AM. Reason: no photos
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

9. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    RULES UPDATE

Due to the fact that some engine kits include a transmission, either molded to the block/bellhousing or a transmission that is included in an engine kit, I have adjusted the rules in the Box Stock First Annual SMC Engine Building Show and Modified catagories. Please note that in Box Stock First Annual SMC Engine Building Show , there can be no modifications or additions to the transmission.
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

10. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I've got a bunch of TDR First Annual SMC Engine Building Show engines sitting on the shelf so I've decided to build one for this event. I'm going to build this engine for the "Box Stock" catagory in the hope that those many members who haven't participated will be incouraged to do the same and participate with whatever they have.

This engine is a typical GMPP 454 crate engine with a 4bbl carb. The kit included a bellhousing and Muncie style four speed so they will be attached. I'll add plug wires and a bit of plumbing First Annual SMC Engine Building Show but its a going to be a basic box stock First Annual SMC Engine Building Show build.

The kit comes well packaged and the parts fit is excellent so no fitting is required. However, this is a RP First Annual SMC Engine Building Show produced kit so some smoothing is required. In addition to hand sanding First Annual SMC Engine Building Show , another option is the use of a Driemel tool with some sanding First Annual SMC Engine Building Show cones and a sanding First Annual SMC Engine Building Show disc. A note of caution, set the Driemel on SLOW speed and wear eye, nose and mouth protection.

Lets get to work!
    Attached Images Attached Images First Annual SMC Engine Building Show-002-jpg  First Annual SMC Engine Building Show-003-jpg 
    Last edited by Rick; 03-29-11 at 02:14 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

11. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    After about five min of sanding First Annual SMC Engine Building Show the oil pan is ready for a coat of high build primer First Annual SMC Engine Building Show . A little bit of finish sanding First Annual SMC Engine Building Show and another coat of primer First Annual SMC Engine Building Show followed. The pan is now ready for wet sanding First Annual SMC Engine Building Show and paint application.
    Attached Images Attached Images First Annual SMC Engine Building Show-005-jpg  First Annual SMC Engine Building Show-004-jpg  First Annual SMC Engine Building Show-006-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

12. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    The valve covers are smoothed and primered. The GMPP crate engine comes with aluminum heads so I've also smoothed the kit heads. I've left the block as produced to simulate the cast iron look. These parts just need to be wet sanded and they'll be ready for paint.

I've really enjoyed smoothing the parts with my Driemel tool. It sure saves a ton of time! Anyone working on a RP First Annual SMC Engine Building Show produced kit should consider this option.

Typical of most kit engines that are being built box stock First Annual SMC Engine Building Show , this kit needs very little work to make it look "right" and its an easy build. I really hope that some of our "silent" members will open up a kit, build an engine and display it along with the rest of us. It really is fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images First Annual SMC Engine Building Show-007-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Rick, it may not fit within your guidelines for box stock First Annual SMC Engine Building Show but for the guys that want to......I've found that if hardware (scale nuts & bolts) doesn't fit within one's hobby budget on TDR First Annual SMC Engine Building Show engines, simply snipping the heads of common household pins makes for a pretty good substitute. Hold them with tweezers, dip in a dab of CA and apply them to the indicated bolt holes. Things like oil pan & valve cover bolts are perfect candidates for this low buck treatment.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Uh oh. Don just gave away one of my secret techniques. I use this technique quite a bit when I'm trying to simulate bolts and screws. If you can get a hold of a really thin diamond disc, you can cut a slot, darken it with a little black wash and you have a really nice screw head. One thing I also do from time to time is chuck one of the pins in my Dremel First Annual SMC Engine Building Show and with a file make the pin head smaller as needed for smaller screw heads. If you're worried about the pins not looking exactly like hex bolt heads, don't worry. From a normal viewing distance, they look fantastic and sparkle under added light. My Big Allison is loaded with straight pins.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

15. bills69camaro's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    bill
    I will be entering two sbc's, one will be a stock 350 and for the other one I'm going to make a crossram, finned valve covers and maybe
    headers. They will be entered in the scratch built First Annual SMC Engine Building Show category.
    Now I have to get my hands on some reference material for the
    crossram.

Bill
    QUOTE QUOTE #30