Close

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I've just sold an interesting engine kit to Andy and he tells me he's going to build it on site. That got me thinking that its probably a good time for another engine building contest. Here's what we're proposing:

The rules are simple:

** Any large scale, readily available manufactured engine (R/M, TDR Engine Building Contest , Pocher, Autograph etc) is eligible. Engine may be from an engine kit only or from a model kit that includes an engine. No scratchbuilt or factory built diecast or plastic engines.

** Engines must be built useing parts included in the kit only.

** Detailing, including paint, chrome, fittings, plumbing Engine Building Contest and wires is allowed. The addition of a kit supplied bellhousing and transmission is allowed. Aftermarket and scratchbuilt items such as blowers, carbs, headers, transkits etc are not allowed.

** Car, truck, motorcycle, plane, boat and military can complete as long as they fall into the above rules.

We need a minimum of twelve entries to make this contest worthwhile. All you need to do is tell us you are "in" here in this thread, its not necessary to tell us what you are building. We'll leave this thread open for two weeks and if we get enough interest, we'll start a contest thread and announce some prizes.

The rest is up to you.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-20-11 at 11:38 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Some of the engines require fabrication of additional parts to be brought up to accuracy.
    I would prefer that we allow these fabricated pieces.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Sorry Tage, the object of the contest is to see what can be done with what comes in the kit. We want to keep it simple and fair for all.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I'm in, but would have to be "display only" since my soon-to-be finished Alfa engine has a lot of scratch-built parts and the Ferrari engine won't be done for a few months at least.

Andy.
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    OK,
    I have two engines to enter.
    When will we be doing this?
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    We're leaving the thread open for two weeks. If, in that time we get enough interest, the build time will be April-June with the show being on the weekend of June 18-19th.

We have hundreds of members who never post. The contest rules were designed in an attempt to attract these folks to an event that anyone can feel comfortable entering.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-22-11 at 09:46 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. The creative explorer's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Erik
    I'm in. I do have a Jag straight-six in the parts-box that I've built many, many moons ago. It looks like crap and I think it is complete.

Is it allowed to modify the kit-parts?
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    I think I can come up with a couple of engines, this sounds like fun.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Eric, please read the rules.

We will allow slight modifications of kit parts for fitting purposes only. Any radical modifications could result in disqualification.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. The creative explorer's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Erik
    Rick, I read the rules, hence my question. It is not mentioned in the rules if we can modify the kit-parts.
    It does mention that we can't use scratchbuilt parts and since that is not a definate term, for me it means a part that is made from scratch, it leads to confusion.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Erik, I'm sure Rick will correct me if I'm misinterpreting what he's looking for with this thread but here goes.......

The way I understand the guidelines he's set-up is simple.
    He's trying to give the guys that are just starting out and perhaps haven't developed the skill levels that many of our members have attained a chance to show their wares.

In other words a "box stock" engine with the only allowable "additions" being things like simple plumbing Engine Building Contest , plug wires, paint detailing etc. The balance of the build to be the parts that came in the box.

The audience (I believe) he's looking for are the guys that haven't posted their builds because they may be concerned that their work isn't in the same league as of many of our "seasoned" builders.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. The creative explorer's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Erik
    I understand, I believe it wasn't clear enough stated in the rules. That's all. ;) I am one of those beginners, but I keep posting it bluntly anyway. I am nowhere near the top-builders, but I have fun at building haha.

At least everybody now knows that we can't change the parts other than fit-issues, so we gained at least something out of this.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    If I can use my Allison engine, I'm in. The only things I added are the usual superdetailing items like pipes, nuts, bolts and wires. The rest of the superdetailing is paint. I can update the engine with some weathering Engine Building Contest and outdoor photography.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    This sounds like people are thinking of entering models built some time ago. Is that the case or is this a BUILD contest. I have built most of the TDR Engine Building Contest engines and would enter one of them if the contest build is past tense.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    You can enter any of them Syd.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15